Author Topic: Submitting Art  (Read 5330 times)

tpugmire

Submitting Art
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:10 am »
I finally got my whole collection uploaded, and now I'm going to go back through and update everything I can.  I was just wondering about the art though.  There is a place for front and back cover art, as well as a cartridge scan.  Do you want all three, or if we have the front and back, is that good enough?  I'm debating scanning my ds games, but I'm thinking that they might be too small to really be of any use.  Any input?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

Re: Submitting Art
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:59:47 am »
The most important image is front box art because this is what I use to create a thumbnail and display in collections. I'd consider the other two optional but it really depends on how much work you want to do. Any submissions you make are greeaaaaaatly appreciated!

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 05:12:20 pm »
I've been trying to do front and back images at least. In worst case, I just do the front. Cart/disc scans I consider optional at the moment. But if I have them, I add them. If not, I'll go back and work on it later.

If you can get a nice high res scan of the DS cards and set them around the 200px wide mark they'll show up nicely. Anything smaller would prolly not be worth the effort. Remember, a PC monitors res is 72px / inch so it doesn't need to be print quality (250/300 px / inch). But the larger the better. Just make sure they are jpg and the form will do the resizing work for you.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:01:55 pm »
So, how long does it take for the art to show up.  I've submitted a few this past week, but only one is showing up.  Have I done something wrong?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:53:11 pm »
Everything that was pending has been approved. It's possible that there were some errors as I'm not 100% confident that the process works properly. Which games did you edit?

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »
I added pictures of the following:
Bonk's Adventure - Turbografx 16
R-Type - PC Engine

I also did some cart scans of a few Atari 2600 games

matt

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:12 pm »
Okay I'll dig through the logs and see if anything odd happened. If they were jpeg files, everything should have worked as planned. I'll keep you updated.

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 06:02:31 pm »
I found the Atari pics, but not the others.  One suggestion I have is maybe have the cart pictures be the thumbnail if no cover art is posted.

darko

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:18:36 pm »
On a slight side note...make sure that you guys are adding at least decent images of the box art. Some of them really look terrible. I've gone through and submitted some updates to several, but it would be easier to just do it right the first time. Not trying to be a jerk, but you know.

matt

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:22:51 pm »
> darko
> On a slight side note...make sure that you guys are adding at least decent images of the box art. Some of them really look terrible. I've gone through and submitted some updates to several, but it would be easier to just do it right the first time. Not trying to be a jerk, but you know.

Agreed. A lot of the art is from an old project of mine, which was low quality and only 150px wide. Newer images are saved at a higher quality and at 200px (I may bump this up). I'll be personally scanning all my NES and SMS boxes as well to have the highest quality possible.

darko

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:31:07 pm »
Some of the titles that I've updated previously uploaded images over are not showing up. Any ideas? It's telling me the changes were accepted.

matt

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 02:37:49 pm »
> darko
> Some of the titles that I've updated previously uploaded images over are not showing up. Any ideas? It's telling me the changes were accepted.

Try clearing your cache since the file names are the same. If that doesn't clear it up send me some specific examples and I'll take a look at my logs. As long as they are .jpg files everything should work.

darko

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 02:42:11 pm »
I cleared the cache and it worked for everything but the front box image for The Legend of Zelda NES

matt

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:45 pm »
I'm seeing this image that was created on today at 2:16pm. It's possible that it didn't refresh totally.

I'll look into a way to make sure things don't cache. The only method I know of now wastes a lot of bandwidth, but there may be others that I'm not aware of.

darko

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 02:59:11 pm »
I'll try the Zelda box again.