Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1531780 times)

tripredacus

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #15915 on: July 28, 2021, 09:36:21 am »
I have done all that I can to stop getting those emails from Ebay. It seems impossible.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15916 on: July 28, 2021, 11:24:06 am »
I have done all that I can to stop getting those emails from Ebay. It seems impossible.

That's GameStop for me. No matter how many times I click unsubscribe.

tripredacus

« Reply #15917 on: July 29, 2021, 09:18:38 am »
Some are easy. For gamestop, I do not really care about their communications and haven't since a) the point system was changed and b) I am not buying current gen. So in general for emails from a company that I do not really interact with anymore (at least on the digital end) there is an easy 3 step process that I follow:

1. If I have an account on the site, log into it and change the email preferences
2. Use the unsubscribe link in the emails themselves.
3. Report the email as spam

In between each I would wait a couple days before going to the next step. The last legit company I had to resort to reporting as spam was NHL.com, which when I used their official method of unsubscribing from emails, the website said it might take 6-8 weeks to stop receiving emails. In that instance, I blocked them immediately.

The other option you have instead of the report option is to create a folder and an email rule to put things into that folder. I had done this with facebook and ebay years ago and I never see those emails. I see the folder they go into and they just show (999+) unread.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15918 on: July 29, 2021, 10:41:40 am »
Oh yeah, I've put into spam, and it keeps coming in the inbox anyways.

Flashback2012

« Reply #15919 on: July 29, 2021, 11:40:22 am »
Speaking of spamming companies, Humble Bundle, PlayAsia and especially Right Stuf Anime are my worst offenders. RSA will send me multiple message a day it's so obnoxious.  >:(

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15920 on: July 29, 2021, 01:47:54 pm »
MS Flight Simulator sure is pretty...it sure is boring, too.

aliensstudios

« Reply #15921 on: July 29, 2021, 09:14:14 pm »
Some are easy. For gamestop, I do not really care about their communications and haven't since a) the point system was changed and b) I am not buying current gen. So in general for emails from a company that I do not really interact with anymore (at least on the digital end) there is an easy 3 step process that I follow:

1. If I have an account on the site, log into it and change the email preferences
2. Use the unsubscribe link in the emails themselves.
3. Report the email as spam

In between each I would wait a couple days before going to the next step. The last legit company I had to resort to reporting as spam was NHL.com, which when I used their official method of unsubscribing from emails, the website said it might take 6-8 weeks to stop receiving emails. In that instance, I blocked them immediately.

The other option you have instead of the report option is to create a folder and an email rule to put things into that folder. I had done this with facebook and ebay years ago and I never see those emails. I see the folder they go into and they just show (999+) unread.
I use a site called Unroll.me for this. It works decently well, but I still end up with a lot of junk mail since my e-mail address is pretty generic since I've had it since I was like 9 years old in 2004. I usually log in to Unroll bimonthly to "unsubscribe" to all of the junk email addresses. It's a pain in the tuchus, but it gets out of hand if you don't stay on top of it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Warmsignal

« Reply #15922 on: July 30, 2021, 06:38:42 pm »
There are several sub-genres that I'm really focusing to pick up at the moment. They are games which I'd never before considered, but now for some reason I'm just seeing the appeal in them. One is Mech-based shooters - I used to specifically avoid these games, and I can't give you a single good reason why... considering that I've always liked most types of shooters. Now the concept of a mech shooter just seems really cool to me. I want them, and they're inexpensive to pick up (mostly). There's a really cool one exclusive to OG Xbox I recently got called Gun Metal. You can transform from a mech to a jet during the missions.

The other sub-genres I'm currently focusing my efforts on are snowboarding games, of which there are so many. I've really gotta step up my snowboarding collection now. I spent yesterday evening playing 1080 on the N64, that game holds up, it's so good! I gotta find and play some more great snowboarding titles.

As for my latest fixation, motocross games. I don't know what is, but every motocross game always looks so fun. I think it's the tight track design and the ability to do tricks along the way. Whatever it is, man I want these games. There were so many of them, especially for the 5th and 6th gen. Yesterday I managed to grab Freestyle Metal X, and today I found a copy of Freekstyle. Got MX World Tour coming in the mail. Man, I'm so hyped to play these. I've got to get Dirt Trax FX for SNES. That was a childhood experience I definitely want back.

doafan

« Reply #15923 on: July 31, 2021, 11:47:39 am »
A couple of minutes ago received a message from my sister who told me that my grandma passed away today, totally hate this damn pandemic, we used to see more often but because of these situation haven't seen her in months, as a matter of fact the last time we talk was this past January 6 when it was her 94th birthday and now am going to see her again just to say until next time we see again, last year was the death of my latest grandpa and my beloved pet/girl and one year before the death of one of my uncles.

I do believe in heaven and from the bottom of my heart I know am gonna see all my beloved ones in a near future cause am not going to live forever, might be or pretend to be a person without emotions but can't avoid to cry while am writing this.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15924 on: July 31, 2021, 12:14:14 pm »
A couple of minutes ago received a message from my sister who told me that my grandma passed away today, totally hate this damn pandemic, we used to see more often but because of these situation haven't seen her in months, as a matter of fact the last time we talk was this past January 6 when it was her 94th birthday and now am going to see her again just to say until next time we see again, last year was the death of my latest grandpa and my beloved pet/girl and one year before the death of one of my uncles.

I do believe in heaven and from the bottom of my heart I know am gonna see all my beloved ones in a near future cause am not going to live forever, might be or pretend to be a person without emotions but can't avoid to cry while am writing this.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. Not much I can say except my thoughts are with you.

« Reply #15925 on: July 31, 2021, 02:52:49 pm »

My condolences for your loss. We are here for you if anything.

doafan

« Reply #15926 on: August 03, 2021, 10:24:36 am »
Thanks I really appreciate it, yesterday the whole family was reunited to say farewell to our Grandma, I got a big family not only here in Mexico as well in USA and it was so beautiful to see almost of all them here, without a doubt she was a beloved Grandma with tons of grandsons/granddaughters as well great grandsons/great granddaughters to be honest I didn't knew it until yesterday that she even had some great-great grandsons, it really was nice moment because we already knew that she was living extra time and we are grateful with God for that.

Our parents are no longer younger so in my dad's case I was the one who carried the coffin instead of him, my cousins took the places of their fathers as well, cried all the ceremony thankfully my wife was with me all the time, realized this past year one the worst things of growing up is that you know that at some point of your life you have to say goodbye to your family/friends, I can only say she is now in a better place without any pain, she didn't suffer before passing away, would love to leave this world the way she did it.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #15927 on: August 03, 2021, 10:31:47 pm »
Thanks I really appreciate it, yesterday the whole family was reunited to say farewell to our Grandma, I got a big family not only here in Mexico as well in USA and it was so beautiful to see almost of all them here, without a doubt she was a beloved Grandma with tons of grandsons/granddaughters as well great grandsons/great granddaughters to be honest I didn't knew it until yesterday that she even had some great-great grandsons, it really was nice moment because we already knew that she was living extra time and we are grateful with God for that.

Our parents are no longer younger so in my dad's case I was the one who carried the coffin instead of him, my cousins took the places of their fathers as well, cried all the ceremony thankfully my wife was with me all the time, realized this past year one the worst things of growing up is that you know that at some point of your life you have to say goodbye to your family/friends, I can only say she is now in a better place without any pain, she didn't suffer before passing away, would love to leave this world the way she did it.

This is a realization that has really brought my attention over the past year as well. Not only the thought we will say goodbye to our loved ones but also that we individually will cease to exist. While its not something I think of all the time, it does pop up from time to time and it scares me. That said, all we can do is live our lives now and hope that we are able to stay here for as long as humanly possible. May your grandmother rest in peace my friend.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15928 on: August 09, 2021, 06:24:58 pm »
I was deeply saddened to here about your loss sounds like your grandmother was very loved by your family. I too have lost loved ones and Im still trying to come to terms with my loss so I can relate. I wish you and your family the best.

Warmsignal

« Reply #15929 on: August 19, 2021, 08:40:09 pm »
I've been there myself. I know the loss, the pain, the rumination, the darkness. Wish that I had something reassuring to offer you all. I just recently lost another pet, my 15 + year old kitty to a tragic and abrupt demise. She was hit, in part due to the fact that she was totally def, but also because of my own mother's ailing health and physical disability, turning a dicey situation into a tragic end that I intuitively knew was coming. *sigh* Life is a wonderous joy, isn't it? A loosing downhill battle.

On a less dark note, but also continuing the theme of loss. Whatever happened to "PlaystationCollecting"? I was on there a few years ago, and now? Gone. A lot of these collecting communities are starting to flake off one by one, taking with them immense databases of info. I'm pretty sure websites more active than VGCollect have bit the dust. Nintendo Age? Why did that happen again? Technically it was a buyout that never materialized into anything nearly as good or useful.

Hopefully all of the hard work put together here doesn't just disappear one day, but I'm hoping against the inevitable, aren't I? Contrary to popular belief, nothing on the Internet is forever.