Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1622094 times)

Bwigdahl

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3645 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:46 pm »
what game?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3646 on: September 23, 2014, 09:26:30 pm »
So i was playing inFAMOUS First Light and a drive by popped up and I just thought it was funny how they got thrown out of the car

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3647 on: September 24, 2014, 06:43:31 am »
What are the 2 new additions, KASH?

Don't leave us in suspense  :o

Gotta say - considering that my b/c PS3 plays PS1, Ps2, and PS3 games (physical + digital)...it wins as the best (legal) RPG-playing machine out there (even w/o counting the region free feature - if you *do* count those games...well, then it's just a blow out!); easily making it the machine that I'd pick if I could only have one.

Any agreement, argument, debate, challenges, and/or contenders?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #3648 on: September 24, 2014, 07:24:56 am »

Gotta say - considering that my b/c PS3 plays PS1, Ps2, and PS3 games (physical + digital)...it wins as the best (legal) RPG-playing machine out there (even w/o counting the region free feature - if you *do* count those games...well, then it's just a blow out!); easily making it the machine that I'd pick if I could only have one.

I agree on that. I love my PS3 even though mine doesn't play PS2 games (not counting the ones from the Playstation Store). Not only can you play games from those 3 systems on your PS3, but the compilations (like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection) add even more versatility. In some way or another physically or digitally (or in compilations), you can play a selection of arcade, SNES, SMS, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo, Sega Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on one officially licensed console without any mods. I might have even missed some consoles too. 8)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #3649 on: September 24, 2014, 07:46:56 am »

Best machine, sure, for all the reasons you said.  But if you're talking about native libraries I'll still go with the PS2 for JRPGs. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3650 on: September 24, 2014, 08:25:32 am »

Best machine, sure, for all the reasons you said.  But if you're talking about native libraries I'll still go with the PS2 for JRPGs.

I'll agree w/ that (even though it doesn't seem like there's been much of a slowdown in the PS3's RPG & JRPG releases since the PS4's release; I still don't see it ever equalling the PS'2's library), but, w/o knowing how many JP only RPG's there are that are play-able on the region free PS3 vs how many JP only ones that weren't play-able on an (un-modded or JP) PS2 *AND* if you count PSN games (plus all of the other good points & games that the Abester mentioned) as "native" releases; well, I suppose that there's the argument that only PSN games could be counted as "native" -BUT- IMO, if you don't count the other systems' digital only games as "native" then...you'd also have to discount all physical re-makes or re-masters from the console's native game library (which I don't do - I mean, I don't discount them); no?

heh, holy run-on sentences, Batman :P

karyann

« Reply #3651 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:32 am »
what game?

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children: Black book (kuro no sho)! It's a complete copy and looks pretty near-mint, and it was the cheapest listing for more than a week... Cart only were all listed higher haha. Decided that I'd wait on an amiibo and get this instead. I already own Red Book, but I kinda wanted Black Book too  :-[

I only bought it so that I can scan the back box and cartridge for the database. Yeah, it wasn't for me, it was for the community. Totally.  :o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:16:23 am by karyann »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3652 on: September 24, 2014, 09:47:03 am »
Neat!

I just noticed that both my post count & this thread that I started almost 2 years ago post count are both approaching 4K at pretty damned close to the same time  8)

kashell

« Reply #3653 on: September 24, 2014, 11:15:21 am »
Dark: did you get my PM?

I got Fairy Fencer F and Suikoden Teirkreis. I'm really excited FFF.  If I could only take one system, it would be the PS3 that has backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games. RPGs are my favorite, and Sony machines seem to be able to play the best ones.

I also wanted to mention something else about my trip yesterday. One, the sales clerk was cute and I wish I got to flirt more. Ok, that part was not important. At this particular store, I saw that they had a copy of Shining the Holy Ark for the Sega Saturn. It had everything and it was 90 dollars plus tax. Even though I love RPGs, I have a hard time dropping that much money for one that has no place in my collection. For one, I'm not a fan of the Shining series. The Shining Force games felt slow, Shining Tears was a train wreck of a game, Shining Force EXA had some shining (lawlpun) moments but was a disappointment overall and I heard that the same thing could be said about Shining Force Neo. Still, a part of me feels a bit of non-buyer's regret for not picking up such a rare and unique RPG for my Saturn. Any thoughts on this?

argyle

« Reply #3654 on: September 24, 2014, 11:31:28 am »

I got Fairy Fencer F and Suikoden Teirkreis. I'm really excited FFF.  If I could only take one system, it would be the PS3 that has backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games. RPGs are my favorite, and Sony machines seem to be able to play the best ones.

I also wanted to mention something else about my trip yesterday. One, the sales clerk was cute and I wish I got to flirt more. Ok, that part was not important. At this particular store, I saw that they had a copy of Shining the Holy Ark for the Sega Saturn. It had everything and it was 90 dollars plus tax. Even though I love RPGs, I have a hard time dropping that much money for one that has no place in my collection. For one, I'm not a fan of the Shining series. The Shining Force games felt slow, Shining Tears was a train wreck of a game, Shining Force EXA had some shining (lawlpun) moments but was a disappointment overall and I heard that the same thing could be said about Shining Force Neo. Still, a part of me feels a bit of non-buyer's regret for not picking up such a rare and unique RPG for my Saturn. Any thoughts on this?

That Suikoden game is the last one I need to complete my collection of the US releases in that series.  A local store has it, but it seems like it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time.

I started to say I had that Shining game way back when, but I had it confused with Albert Odyssey (why?  I don't know. :P ).  At any rate, I'd say if you're buying it just to say you have it with no interest in the game itself I don't think I'd drop that much on it.  There are some games I want that are getting into that price range (the 2 PS1 Lunar games, complete, for instance) but I actually want to play those at some point.  Or I'd *like* to, at any rate. :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3655 on: September 24, 2014, 11:38:07 am »

I must have been replying to your PM at the exact same time that you were asking me if I got it  ;)

argyle

« Reply #3656 on: September 24, 2014, 12:01:51 pm »

I'll agree w/ that (even though it doesn't seem like there's been much of a slowdown in the PS3's RPG & JRPG releases since the PS4's release; I still don't see it ever equalling the PS'2's library), but, w/o knowing how many JP only RPG's there are that are play-able on the region free PS3 vs how many JP only ones that weren't play-able on an (un-modded or JP) PS2 *AND* if you count PSN games (plus all of the other good points & games that the Abester mentioned) as "native" releases; well, I suppose that there's the argument that only PSN games could be counted as "native" -BUT- IMO, if you don't count the other systems' digital only games as "native" then...you'd also have to discount all physical re-makes or re-masters from the console's native game library (which I don't do - I mean, I don't discount them); no?

Missed your reply there Kenny.  :o

Personally I think there's a distinction between the straight emulation of PS2/PS1 games on PSN and the HD/Remastered/Remakes that are released of games like Kingdom Hearts or FFX.  IMO, if you buy a digital PS2/PS1 game you're buying the emulation for that specific title, but it is being emulated and it's still a PS1/PS2 game.  Does that make any sense? :P

So I think if you exclude those emulated games but include the remasters/HD ports the PS2 still has it beat.  I'm talking about not just quantity but quality as well.  Some of the PS2 greats that come to mind are:

FFX/X-2
Suikoden V
SMT: Nocturne
Persona 3&4
Digital Devil Saga 1&2
Shadow Hearts series
Dark Cloud series
Rogue Galaxy
Dragon Quest VIII
Xenosaga series
Valkyrie Profile 2
Wild Arms 3

...and that's just off the top of my head.  I'm also omitting some that I haven't played enough of to say if they're good/great or not (.hack series(es) - 7 games total there, Breath of Fire V, Radiata Stories, etc.).   

maximo310

« Reply #3657 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:02 pm »

Missed your reply there Kenny.  :o

Personally I think there's a distinction between the straight emulation of PS2/PS1 games on PSN and the HD/Remastered/Remakes that are released of games like Kingdom Hearts or FFX.  IMO, if you buy a digital PS2/PS1 game you're buying the emulation for that specific title, but it is being emulated and it's still a PS1/PS2 game.  Does that make any sense? :P

So I think if you exclude those emulated games but include the remasters/HD ports the PS2 still has it beat.  I'm talking about not just quantity but quality as well.  Some of the PS2 greats that come to mind are:

FFX/X-2
Suikoden V
SMT: Nocturne
Persona 3&4
Digital Devil Saga 1&2
Shadow Hearts series
Dark Cloud series
Rogue Galaxy
Dragon Quest VIII
Xenosaga series
Valkyrie Profile 2
Wild Arms 3

...and that's just off the top of my head.  I'm also omitting some that I haven't played enough of to say if they're good/great or not (.hack series(es) - 7 games total there, Breath of Fire V, Radiata Stories, etc.).
Yeah, the Ps2 has a ton of rpgs compared to any other system, especially considering how many got translated and localized over here. There may be a bunch of rpgs that were japan PS3 only, but you'd probably have to go with digital vs physical to save cost if you can, and hope that their are guides to get you through the game if you don't know Japanese.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3658 on: September 24, 2014, 02:21:03 pm »
yeah, I get what you're saying about that distinction between PS1 & PS2 digital only/emulated/PSN only games vs. *actual* & 'officially' physical re-released & re-mastered games, Greg.

But, and I'm just playing devil's advocate here...if any of those emulated games were to be transferred to/pressed onto a disc & if they were then "officially" re-released by the copyright holder (and the game/content were identical); would that then change the status and/or category of that game in your eyes?

I know that for some people - it would.

*BUT*, if that's the case then wouldn't what is & what isn't considered as a part of a system's "native" library then just boil down to a question (and answer) of format?  :-\

IMO, a game shouldn't be discounted while it's a digital only/emulated game *IF* the identical game would be counted if it was transferred onto a disc; thoughts?

argyle

« Reply #3659 on: September 24, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »
yeah, I get what you're saying about that distinction between PS1 & PS2 digital only/emulated/PSN only games vs. *actual* & 'officially' physical re-released & re-mastered games, Greg.

But, and I'm just playing devil's advocate here...if any of those emulated games were to be transferred to/pressed onto a disc & if they were then "officially" re-released by the copyright holder (and the game/content were identical); would that then change the status and/or category of that game in your eyes?

I know that for some people - it would.

*BUT*, if that's the case then wouldn't what is & what isn't considered as a part of a system's "native" library then just boil down to a question (and answer) of format?  :-\

IMO, a game shouldn't be discounted while it's a digital only/emulated game *IF* the identical game would be counted if it was transferred onto a disc; thoughts?

AFAIK no one has sold at retail a emulated games with no improvements whatsoever.  To me, the distinction comes when the game is PORTED, not EMULATED and takes advantage of the new system's hardware in some way - be that a higher resolution, better sound, etc.  If something is merely emulated, then it's just the new system running a "virtual" PS2, thereby fooling the game into thinking it's actually running on a PS2 system.  That's the sticking point for me.