Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1590733 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5595 on: January 14, 2015, 01:36:11 pm »
In response to the working out thing, I did Cross Fit in high school and it was by far the best workout regime I've ever done.  I've been a member of 3 different gyms, I did cross fit for only a few months because it was expensive, but definitely the best.  I also had a friend whos mom was a personal trainer and I did P90x for one round of 90 days.  Cross fit just pushes you because you are with a group of people, you make friends and it becomes a competition and its fun like a sport and it breaks up the monotony of "I pick things up and put them down" which is what a gym is.  If you can afford it I'd definitely recommend cross fit I was never in as good of shape than I was doing that.

kashell

« Reply #5596 on: January 14, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »
Cross Fit has this stigma (and cost) that does not appeal to me. When I lived in Atlanta, a ton of people participated in it and it was like a cult. It was odd. Those who did not participate in paying 140 a month to do burpees in a garage the size of a quaint café and stuck with the regular gym (myself included) got the same results. I can understand that there might be a sense of camaraderie because of the intimate setting and I'm sure you can get a solid work out, but I'm trying my best to not sip the Cross Fit Kool-Aid.

Hmm, you know I never considered that. Should I just do an area search for "martial arts" gyms? It sounds like fun.
I'd google something more specific than "Martial Arts".  You'll get a ton of "karate" places for kids.  You need to be a little more specific.

I would suggest Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  It's the martial art I got the most out of.  It has very minimal punching and kicking.  So, you can go all out in sparring and no one gets hurt.

Give Jiu Jitsu a shot.  It's so fun.  If you want to do Mixed Martial Arts, you mix wrestling, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, kick boxing, boxing, and just about any other way to fight in pot and fight.  It's fun.  Give it a shot.  Maybe you'll find something you like.

Where are you at?  I may know someone.  The family tree's branches stretch wide.   ;)

I'm in Nashville, TN. Let me get this straight: you actually have to fight each other? I refuse to put my money-maker in harm's way unless there is chain mail and knight helmets available!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5597 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:59 pm »
Cross Fit has this stigma (and cost) that does not appeal to me. When I lived in Atlanta, a ton of people participated in it and it was like a cult. It was odd. Those who did not participate in paying 140 a month to do burpees in a garage the size of a quaint café and stuck with the regular gym (myself included) got the same results. I can understand that there might be a sense of camaraderie because of the intimate setting and I'm sure you can get a solid work out, but I'm trying my best to not sip the Cross Fit Kool-Aid.

Hmm, you know I never considered that. Should I just do an area search for "martial arts" gyms? It sounds like fun.
I'd google something more specific than "Martial Arts".  You'll get a ton of "karate" places for kids.  You need to be a little more specific.

I would suggest Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  It's the martial art I got the most out of.  It has very minimal punching and kicking.  So, you can go all out in sparring and no one gets hurt.

Give Jiu Jitsu a shot.  It's so fun.  If you want to do Mixed Martial Arts, you mix wrestling, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, kick boxing, boxing, and just about any other way to fight in pot and fight.  It's fun.  Give it a shot.  Maybe you'll find something you like.

Where are you at?  I may know someone.  The family tree's branches stretch wide.   ;)

I'm in Nashville, TN. Let me get this straight: you actually have to fight each other? I refuse to put my money-maker in harm's way unless there is chain mail and knight helmets available!

Cross Edge >>>>>>>>>> Cross Fit :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #5598 on: January 14, 2015, 02:29:13 pm »
Actually, the first time I heard of Cross Fit was when I re-started my Cross Edge file.

But yeah, Cross Edge is way better. XD

devancowan

« Reply #5599 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:43 am »
Glad I got my 3ds majoras mask collectors edition, I just looked on Ebay and theres bids on preorders for over 500 dollars..  >:(

Whats up with scalpers these days? It really takes away from the people who genuinely have a passion for the games and collections when someone try to double there money and be greedy.

« Reply #5600 on: January 15, 2015, 01:52:49 am »
Glad I got my 3ds majoras mask collectors edition, I just looked on Ebay and theres bids on preorders for over 500 dollars..  >:(

Whats up with scalpers these days? It really takes away from the people who genuinely have a passion for the games and collections when someone try to double there money and be greedy.

This scalping thing has got out of hand, but in the end I blame Nintendo. It does not cost them any more to make a million Zelda 3DSXLs then it does a normal one, yet they choose to make these things super rare, and for what? So the lowlife scalper scum can buy up most of the limited stock and rip off Nintendo fans that wanted it so bad in the first place they would have paid nintendo $400 for it? It's bullshit, and I have a feeling Nintendo doesn't care their fans are getting raped in the second hand market. What I don't understand is how Nintendo can ignore this kind of demand and opportunity to make a ton of money from the high demand for these products. Would love for someone from nintendo to come forth and tell everyone what is going on in regards to the low numbers of consoles, games, Amiibos and other Nintendo products that are making scalpers rich, while nINTENDO is losing out on millions.

kashell

« Reply #5601 on: January 15, 2015, 07:54:12 am »
Do people actually make a "professional" living out of scalping? I can't imagine them being able to support a typical life style by selling merchandise on evilBay.

bobster

« Reply #5602 on: January 15, 2015, 09:07:47 am »
Do people actually make a "professional" living out of scalping? I can't imagine them being able to support a typical life style by selling merchandise on evilBay.
Oh yeah they totally do. They're the people that snatch up everything cheap on craigslist then try and sell it for top dollar. I'm aware of plenty of resellers that do that. Plus, technically, our favorite retro video game stores do that too. It's just a little more legit and professional.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5603 on: January 15, 2015, 09:17:51 am »

Yeah dude, you have a ton of good Jiu Jitsu schools near you. There are 2 Gracie Barra (Ba-Ha) schools.  One in Brentwood and one in Greenhills.  That's a big organization, and the one I'm part of.  Most places let you have to first class free.  Give it a go.  The worst thing that can happen is you waste a couple of hours. 

Yeah, you do spar each other.  It's cool though.  No one will punch you in the face in Jiu Jitsu.  I've been doing it for 6 years and I've had 1 black eye.  That was from a head colliding accident.   

kashell

« Reply #5604 on: January 15, 2015, 09:18:04 am »
Oh yeah they totally do. They're the people that snatch up everything cheap on craigslist then try and sell it for top dollar. I'm aware of plenty of resellers that do that. Plus, technically, our favorite retro video game stores do that too. It's just a little more legit and professional.

And now I see hope for the human race going further and further down the drain... *sigh*

kashell

« Reply #5605 on: January 15, 2015, 09:22:18 am »
turf: I'll at least give it a look. I don't know how I feel about being face-to-foot on a blue mat, but you seem to enjoy it so I'll trust you on this one. ^^()

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5606 on: January 15, 2015, 11:09:28 am »
turf: I'll at least give it a look. I don't know how I feel about being face-to-foot on a blue mat, but you seem to enjoy it so I'll trust you on this one. ^^()

No face-to-foot.  It's just grappling.  Just wrestling.  You won't get hit.  I'm way too pretty to be taking shots to the face.  :D

bobster

« Reply #5607 on: January 15, 2015, 11:13:44 am »
I dont understand the need for gyms. As long as you eat right and stay active, shouldnt be an issue.

The only reason you would need a gym is if you are going to try to change your body and get a trainer.

I stay pretty active at work. hauling pallets/carts back and forth all day and lifting 50+ lb boxes 40 hours a week. It's the eating right part that I struggle the most with. However I've lost around 20 lbs just by eating more home cooked meals over the last few months and changing absolutely nothing else. I'm still a good 20 to 30 pounds away from where I'd like to be but it's a start at least.
I can't agree with you enough Bwigdahl. Losing weight is 70% changing your diet (not dieting, but a lifestyle change).

I just read article (it's completely random what shows up on Lifehacker) and it really puts it in perspective. If anyone's interested, here's the link!

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/exercise-vs-diet-which-is-more-important-for-weight-l-1677532039
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5608 on: January 15, 2015, 11:14:46 am »

No face-to-foot.  It's just grappling.  Just wrestling.  You won't get hit.  I'm way too pretty to be taking shots to the face:D

B...

Bu...

Buh...

Buh...

Buh...

BUT - we've SEEN you :o

Never figured ya for the type to like "face shots", though :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #5609 on: January 15, 2015, 11:34:33 am »

No face-to-foot.  It's just grappling.  Just wrestling.  You won't get hit.  I'm way too pretty to be taking shots to the face:D

B...

Bu...

Buh...

Buh...

Buh...

BUT - we've SEEN you :o

Never figured ya for the type to like "face shots", though :P

I figured him for it.  :o