Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1664551 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #6825 on: April 14, 2015, 02:09:23 pm »
I've been playing this game obsessively for the past week. And I just got to this scene the other day. It's right as you're entering Mexico for the first time, and this song hits; the scenery, the song, and the atmosphere is just perfect. I realized then that I wasn't just playing a good a game, I was playing one of the best games of this last generation.

One of those rare moments in video games that only the top-shelf, AAA titles can give you.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6826 on: April 14, 2015, 03:15:48 pm »
I've been playing this game obsessively for the past week. And I just got to this scene the other day. It's right as you're entering Mexico for the first time, and this song hits; the scenery, the song, and the atmosphere is just perfect. I realized then that I wasn't just playing a good a game, I was playing one of the best games of this last generation.

One of those rare moments in video games that only the top-shelf, AAA titles can give you.

I don't recognize the song, but - I'm liking the guitar in it!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #6827 on: April 14, 2015, 03:21:55 pm »
Bah, a used copy of Afrika for the ps3 popped up on Gamestop's inventory tracker yesterday at a store about 80 miles away. I called my GS manager friend & asked if he could get it transferred, and he texted me back a few mins later & said that it's on its way. Well, he texted me again today saying that it arrived already - but it's disk only. :( I'm under no obligation to buy it, of course, and he doesn't expect me to - I am SORTA tempted just because it goes for so much online (it's $20 before my 10% discount at GS, goes for more than double that on ebay). But I hate disk-only games, and I don't know how easy it would be to track down a case & manual - or what I'd have to fork over for them if I do. May just have to let this one go & hope another one pops up... :(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #6828 on: April 14, 2015, 03:33:54 pm »
Bah, a used copy of Afrika for the ps3 popped up on Gamestop's inventory tracker yesterday at a store about 80 miles away. I called my GS manager friend & asked if he could get it transferred, and he texted me back a few mins later & said that it's on its way. Well, he texted me again today saying that it arrived already - but it's disk only. :( I'm under no obligation to buy it, of course, and he doesn't expect me to - I am SORTA tempted just because it goes for so much online (it's $20 before my 10% discount at GS, goes for more than double that on ebay). But I hate disk-only games, and I don't know how easy it would be to track down a case & manual - or what I'd have to fork over for them if I do. May just have to let this one go & hope another one pops up... :(

That's a tricky situation.  You could always get it and see if a box/manual pops up, but that'll go pretty quickly, I'm sure.  Or you could try to sell it on eBay.  Or you could leave it for someone who wants the game but doesn't need it to be complete :/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6829 on: April 14, 2015, 04:59:42 pm »
I don't know if y'all have noticed, but this place is pretty cool

maximo310

« Reply #6830 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:32 pm »

That's a tricky situation.  You could always get it and see if a box/manual pops up, but that'll go pretty quickly, I'm sure.  Or you could try to sell it on eBay.  Or you could leave it for someone who wants the game but doesn't need it to be complete :/
I'm in the same situation right now as well, I only have the disk for Afrika. I haven't seen any manuals of the game/ boxes pop up in the last few weeks on Ebay, but I planning just to print off the cover art, and swap the crappy replacement case with a official Playstation 3 case that came from some $1 sports game.

argyle

« Reply #6831 on: April 14, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »

I'm in the same situation right now as well, I only have the disk for Afrika. I haven't seen any manuals of the game/ boxes pop up in the last few weeks on Ebay, but I planning just to print off the cover art, and swap the crappy replacement case with a official Playstation 3 case that came from some $1 sports game.

I may end up doing this. I can always keep an eye out for either the case/manual or a complete copy, and if I land a complete copy later on I'm sure I could get my $20 back outta this one.

What really irritates me is my own fault - this will be the 3rd time I've owned this game. ::) The other 2 I had were complete & mint.

became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

foxhack

« Reply #6832 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:09 pm »
Sorry for double post - Does anyone know if there is a database somewhere where you can see everything a release of a game came with? As I am now getting into things like old-PC gaming and collecting games I never had as a kid I want to make sure I know when I'm not getting something CIB.

Unfortunately no. There's no such site... except for the super obsessive Sierra / Infocom collectors.

I just look at eBay listings and compare stuff.

Edit: Still angry at there not being a PC version of RDR.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:44:46 pm by foxhack »

maximo310

« Reply #6833 on: April 14, 2015, 10:06:16 pm »

I may end up doing this. I can always keep an eye out for either the case/manual or a complete copy, and if I land a complete copy later on I'm sure I could get my $20 back outta this one.

What really irritates me is my own fault - this will be the 3rd time I've owned this game. ::) The other 2 I had were complete & mint.

Wow, that's pretty crazy that you've had it twice before cib before now! I've been picking up some PS3 games on the side, and it's pretty interesting to see what games are rare, with Afrika being the rarest. I checked complete prices on ebay and most of the listings are $60 or up complete for a NTSC copy, so $18 ( Power Up Rewards Pro) is pretty cheap. I would jump on it now, since its already so hard to find anywhere; I got lucky when it popped up at a store near me after about a year of searching.

kashell

« Reply #6834 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:07 am »

I may have to agree with you on this!

argyle

« Reply #6835 on: April 15, 2015, 09:25:03 am »
Wow, that's pretty crazy that you've had it twice before cib before now! I've been picking up some PS3 games on the side, and it's pretty interesting to see what games are rare, with Afrika being the rarest. I checked complete prices on ebay and most of the listings are $60 or up complete for a NTSC copy, so $18 ( Power Up Rewards Pro) is pretty cheap. I would jump on it now, since its already so hard to find anywhere; I got lucky when it popped up at a store near me after about a year of searching.

I was on the fence all the way to the store last night about whether or not to pick it up. When I got there my friend asked me if I still wanted it, and said if I didn't he was going to get it. That was enough for me, I told him to take it - made me feel better to know it was going to a good home, and I'll stay on the lookout for a complete copy. He also said two other stores had called asking about it since they got it in that morning, one a couple states away! :o

To thank him for his trouble, I put down $5 on the upcoming Onechambara game for the PS4. ;D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6836 on: April 15, 2015, 10:49:08 am »

I may have to 3rd this!

Gotta' love those pre-made posts! :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #6837 on: April 15, 2015, 02:37:10 pm »

I may have to 3rd this!

Gotta' love those pre-made posts! :P

Oh, you!

PM coming your way, BTW. ^^()

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6838 on: April 15, 2015, 03:21:36 pm »
Son of a bitch!  I just bought a game that I thought was on my wishlist. Nope. I already have Rampart.

You would think a fella like me would use the VGCollect mobile site. Nope. I was winging it old school.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6839 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:44 pm »

I know I keep going on and on about this game. But I had to mention that it just keeps getting better. I just got out of Mexico and learned there was a whole new section to go through. I was starting to feel a bit of "sameness" at this point towards the game because I'm like 20 hours in at this point. But then when I get to the next section, I see it's more like the Eastern Coast U.S. in the 1800s. Full of cities, early cars, early electrical technology, and mixed cultures to see. A whole new type of area to explore and play-through.

Bravo Rockstar on knowing just when to change things up in the game!