Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1664784 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #6915 on: April 23, 2015, 01:18:05 am »
So, question for the muricans.

There's a bunch of coupons for Subway being given out locally through the mail via ads and such - a lot of people throw these out, so I grab 'em whenever I go to the post office. One of the coupons said I could buy a cup of soup for a dollar instead of the normal price. I figured I'd take that coupon to see if their soups were any good.

Well, I went there, and I was told by the employee that she couldn't accept the coupon, that I had to buy something else. Note, the coupon does not mention this anywhere, it's just the standard "no doubling, no using with other coupons, only valid in Imperial Valley locations." I tell that to the employee but she doesn't budge. Since I can't get the coupon honored, I start to leave, but before I do I ask her, "Did the manager tell you to do this?" She says "Yes, would you like to speak to her?" I just reply with "Nah, thanks. I guess I'll just send a complaint to the store chain instead."

Truth be told, I didn't want to speak to the manager because I visit that location about once a month, and I'm pretty uh, recognizable. I've spoken to the manager before. She's... something special. I once saw her nag a new employee because she said he took too long to prepare my sandwich (he didn't.)

Argh. Sorry. But am I being... entitled here? I mean, they're giving these coupons for a reason. But then they don't honor them. The employees are nice enough, and I don't blame them for whatever crap the manager tells them to do. All this over a coupon. :(

I mean if the coupon doesn't say it, they should honor it. I say try a different location and see what happens. But good on you for not taking it out on the employees. I worked retail for many years and it gets frustrating when customers get mad at you when its something you have no control over. You can always also contact front office and see what they say about it. Just say you want clarification on the coupon is all. If you come off as nice, they will likely help you out better...

Oh and Go Ducks! Sweep!
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #6916 on: April 23, 2015, 08:35:14 am »
Last night, I dominated what I thought was going to be a difficult boss in Romancing SaGa 3. This water dragon could recover 999 HP every round and had a spell that would damage all of my party members. Well, he fell in a couple of turns. I am digging this party: Katharina is -FIERCE- as hell, Wood looks like the Creator from FF Legend, Sharl is a silver fox, and Herman is an axe wielding pirate. The only one that I'm going to have to replace is Sara, which is a shame since she's a damn good archer. Still, I am very pleased with this group.

I realize that the above probably makes no sense to anyone since I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that they played RS3, let alone any game in the SaGa series. ^^() So, I'll also say to everyone to have a great Thursday morning. ^o^v

argyle

« Reply #6917 on: April 23, 2015, 09:32:55 am »

There's a bunch of coupons for Subway being given out locally through the mail via ads and such - a lot of people throw these out, so I grab 'em whenever I go to the post office. One of the coupons said I could buy a cup of soup for a dollar instead of the normal price. I figured I'd take that coupon to see if their soups were any good.

Well, I went there, and I was told by the employee that she couldn't accept the coupon, that I had to buy something else. Note, the coupon does not mention this anywhere, it's just the standard "no doubling, no using with other coupons, only valid in Imperial Valley locations." I tell that to the employee but she doesn't budge. Since I can't get the coupon honored, I start to leave, but before I do I ask her, "Did the manager tell you to do this?" She says "Yes, would you like to speak to her?" I just reply with "Nah, thanks. I guess I'll just send a complaint to the store chain instead."

Truth be told, I didn't want to speak to the manager because I visit that location about once a month, and I'm pretty uh, recognizable. I've spoken to the manager before. She's... something special. I once saw her nag a new employee because she said he took too long to prepare my sandwich (he didn't.)

Argh. Sorry. But am I being... entitled here? I mean, they're giving these coupons for a reason. But then they don't honor them. The employees are nice enough, and I don't blame them for whatever crap the manager tells them to do. All this over a coupon. :(

Years ago when I was a kid my mom worked for about a year at a KFC. The manager there was psycho - she wouldn't put up any sales ads in the windows or anything and specifically told the employees NOT to give people the special prices unless they specifically asked for it (which naturally led to a lot of pissed-off people). Some managers let things go to their heads.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #6918 on: April 23, 2015, 11:03:24 am »
I mean if the coupon doesn't say it, they should honor it. I say try a different location and see what happens. But good on you for not taking it out on the employees. I worked retail for many years and it gets frustrating when customers get mad at you when its something you have no control over. You can always also contact front office and see what they say about it. Just say you want clarification on the coupon is all. If you come off as nice, they will likely help you out better...

Oh and Go Ducks! Sweep!

I used to work at a Toys'R'Us and know what managers are capable of telling people to do. I don't bother retail workers unless they're being assholes to me for asking for help - and that's VERY rare these days.

So yeah. :(

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6919 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:28 am »

Oh and Go Ducks! Sweep!

I used to work at a Toys'R'Us and know what managers are capable of telling people to do. I don't bother retail workers unless they're being assholes to me for asking for help - and that's VERY rare these days.

Aw, so you know that hell haha, i am the same way, ive been there, done that, and leave the workers be...

Man Toys'R'US..... that had to suck..... you guys run out of a toy, and mommy yells at you, cause her "baby" can't get the toy and you ruined the entire week.... I can see that happening.... And all the kids running around wrecking shit..... I worked at a Super Market and parent never watched their kids..... One night, this little girl was by the bakery, 8 at night (i live/worked in the rough area) and she managed to open and wreck 3 cakes.... Mom was all the way on the other side of the store... and when we approached her, she didn't seem to care.  Did I mention the kids was like only 4?
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

desocietas

« Reply #6920 on: April 23, 2015, 02:06:09 pm »

I used to run into this in my hometown... I think some franchise stores take advantage of the fact that a lot of coupons usually say that they're only usable at "participating locations only."  Which always feel awkward because then I worry that I should always ask about whether I can use a coupon before I even bother placing an order.  But yeah, that sucks when a restaurant won't use them.  It's like, the marketing worked and got you to their store - would it kill them to honor your coupon?  And it's not like you'd been hoarding them and using one a day for the last 3 weeks...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #6921 on: April 23, 2015, 03:24:58 pm »
This work day/week just refuses to end. >__<

foxhack

« Reply #6922 on: April 23, 2015, 04:09:30 pm »

Aw, so you know that hell haha, i am the same way, ive been there, done that, and leave the workers be...

Man Toys'R'US..... that had to suck..... you guys run out of a toy, and mommy yells at you, cause her "baby" can't get the toy and you ruined the entire week.... I can see that happening.... And all the kids running around wrecking shit..... I worked at a Super Market and parent never watched their kids..... One night, this little girl was by the bakery, 8 at night (i live/worked in the rough area) and she managed to open and wreck 3 cakes.... Mom was all the way on the other side of the store... and when we approached her, she didn't seem to care.  Did I mention the kids was like only 4?

The customers were nice enough, even considering that I worked during Black Friday / Xmas. Most folks were from the Mexico side so I already knew how to talk to them.

The managers just kept pushing us to offer the crappy batteries and insurance for everything and I rarely did so. I told people to buy batteries at the dollar store and that buyer protection deal was a complete scam since it only covered manufacturing defects, damaged caused by normal use was not covered. I could see it be useful with electronics, but who's going to get that for action figures? Ugh.

karyann

« Reply #6923 on: April 23, 2015, 08:54:25 pm »
Does anyone have a system to log when you beat games and keep a list of that stuff? I just got done with creating an account over at myanimelist.net and am loving that but would love something alone those lines for videogames too.

http://backloggery.com/ something like this?

Seconded. Backloggery is pretty useful.

I always wanted to use it, but at the same time I SO don't want to enter all my video games once again  :-\ And then keep track and add them again each time I buy more. It would get confusing  :(

desocietas

« Reply #6924 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:45 pm »
Does anyone have a system to log when you beat games and keep a list of that stuff? I just got done with creating an account over at myanimelist.net and am loving that but would love something alone those lines for videogames too.

I always wanted to use it, but at the same time I SO don't want to enter all my video games once again  :-\ And then keep track and add them again each time I buy more. It would get confusing  :(

^^ this is EXACTLY why I don't use Backloggery.  I tried using it prior to finding VGCollect, and the whole time I kept thinking, "WHY are all these users entering the same game names when obviously thousands of other people have typed in the same name and info?" >:(

The user-created database here made a lot more sense to me.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #6925 on: April 23, 2015, 09:04:18 pm »
I used to have an account there but stopped using it some time ago. I only added games I'd already completed, anyhoo. If you use it like that... it works as intended. Using it as a collection tool... nah.

abe

« Reply #6926 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:37 pm »

Yeah, as much as I like using it I have been neglecting it lately and it's super easy to fall behind on updating it. :(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #6927 on: April 24, 2015, 12:13:25 am »
Last night, I dominated what I thought was going to be a difficult boss in Romancing SaGa 3. This water dragon could recover 999 HP every round and had a spell that would damage all of my party members. Well, he fell in a couple of turns. I am digging this party: Katharina is -FIERCE- as hell, Wood looks like the Creator from FF Legend, Sharl is a silver fox, and Herman is an axe wielding pirate. The only one that I'm going to have to replace is Sara, which is a shame since she's a damn good archer. Still, I am very pleased with this group.

I realize that the above probably makes no sense to anyone since I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that they played RS3, let alone any game in the SaGa series. ^^() So, I'll also say to everyone to have a great Thursday morning. ^o^v
For some reason, I thought that the water dragon was supposed to be a special enemy since it uses the regular battle bgm. I haven't played this game in a long time( I didn't get too far), but I know that some of the enemies with the regular battle bgm are more difficult in some instances that the "designated bosses" like in Romancing Saga 2 where you have this gelatin slime boss early in the game that regens 80 HP per turn, and was pretty hard since you needed a mage to get through the battle without anyone dying. At least that wasn't as bad as the Hive Queen who has a ton of nasty attacks long with status conditions( i got stuck around that part because the garbled text in the terrible English text makes it near impossible to advance scenarios in the designated order w/o a guide.)

argyle

« Reply #6928 on: April 24, 2015, 07:45:41 am »

^^ this is EXACTLY why I don't use Backloggery.  I tried using it prior to finding VGCollect, and the whole time I kept thinking, "WHY are all these users entering the same game names when obviously thousands of other people have typed in the same name and info?" >:(

The user-created database here made a lot more sense to me.

Exactly this. People kept suggesting it to me as a collection tool before I found VGC, and I just kept telling them that I wanted something with an actual database, I could type out my own random list in Word if that's all I wanted.

I've thought about marking in my notes here whether or not I've completed a game, but honestly I don't care that much. I'll track my completions over the course of a year just to see how many I finish in that time, but that's about as far as my interest in that goes. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #6929 on: April 24, 2015, 08:21:40 am »
For some reason, I thought that the water dragon was supposed to be a special enemy since it uses the regular battle bgm. I haven't played this game in a long time( I didn't get too far), but I know that some of the enemies with the regular battle bgm are more difficult in some instances that the "designated bosses" like in Romancing Saga 2 where you have this gelatin slime boss early in the game that regens 80 HP per turn, and was pretty hard since you needed a mage to get through the battle without anyone dying. At least that wasn't as bad as the Hive Queen who has a ton of nasty attacks long with status conditions( i got stuck around that part because the garbled text in the terrible English text makes it near impossible to advance scenarios in the designated order w/o a guide.)

Maybe boss wasn't the right term...more like sub-boss? Mid-boss? Something like that. But, since the SaGa games are usually on the more difficult side, I was ready to accept a crushing defeat. Just knowing that he recovered 999 HP per turn was enough to make do a little bit of extra grinding.

I haven't tried Romancing SaGa 2. I hear that's the best one of the three, but the translation patch is shoddy at best.