Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1656174 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8760 on: December 03, 2015, 09:31:14 am »
@Lady D: That tree looks fabulous. I'm diggin' the Mononoke-hime ornament.

@Warmsignal: That's funny you mention that. The Senate is apparently voting to destroy major healthcare providers and initiatives, much of with deal with mental health. For a second, I thought they were going to be discussing how to stop passing out murder toys to anyone.

@gf78: Amen, bro. You summed up things nicely.

And let it be known: I think the concept of firearms is fascinating. There is so much history behind them. Heck, in RPGs I enjoy using characters that can use them (Lucca, Ludger Kresnick, Emelia,etc.). However, granting people access to them (some of which should only be provided to the military) is just ridiculous.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8761 on: December 03, 2015, 10:05:29 am »
And let it be known: I think the concept of firearms is fascinating. There is so much history behind them. Heck, in RPGs I enjoy using characters that can use them (Lucca, Ludger Kresnick, Emelia,etc.). However, granting people access to them (some of which should only be provided to the military) is just ridiculous.

For what it's worth; 30 round magazines are illegal, and scary black guns have to be registered in California.  More control isn't the answer. Guns aren't the problem.  It's a mental health problem. 

What's the difference between an AR-15 and a semi-automatic .223 hunting rifle?  I bet the people passing those gun control laws don't know either.

kashell

« Reply #8762 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:33 am »
I completely agree. I probably should have been more specific in my post. This happens when my elegant fingers listen to my angry brain and I don't proofread.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8763 on: December 03, 2015, 11:33:13 am »

For what it's worth; 30 round magazines are illegal, and scary black guns have to be registered in California.  More control isn't the answer. Guns aren't the problem.  It's a mental health problem. 

What's the difference between an AR-15 and a semi-automatic .223 hunting rifle?  I bet the people passing those gun control laws don't know either.
30 rounders are illegal to now sell. But possession is not illegal. If you can prove you had them before 2000. The days of "rebuild kits" were fun times. Lol.
Long guns only recently became registered. Unless it's a true AW. Then yes. They are registered for years.

I'm a pro gun guy in California. I own evil black rifles. And there are a lot of gunnies here and lots of AR-15s here. While it's sad what happen. I'm with turf. Don't blame the guns. Blame the action of people.
Just my 2 cents.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

karyann

« Reply #8764 on: December 03, 2015, 01:41:51 pm »
Sorry to change the topic back to fake Christmas trees, but:

We couldn't figure out a tree topper last year, but I found this guy and thought we'd try to make him our tree topper. Extra points if you recognize what he's from :)

I love your tree, and the Kodama is a great topper!  :D I wish the star on my tree was removable, but I guess that saves me the need to find a topper  :P

desocietas

« Reply #8765 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »

I love your tree, and the Kodama is a great topper!  :D I wish the star on my tree was removable, but I guess that saves me the need to find a topper  :P

Kashell and Karyann figured out the topper! The kodama are the cute little tree spirits in Princess Mononoke:

Glad you all like the tree - it makes me very thankful that my bf loves video games and Miyazaki as much as I do <3
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #8766 on: December 03, 2015, 03:17:08 pm »

30 rounders are illegal to now sell. But possession is not illegal. If you can prove you had them before 2000. The days of "rebuild kits" were fun times. Lol.
Long guns only recently became registered. Unless it's a true AW. Then yes. They are registered for years.

I'm a pro gun guy in California. I own evil black rifles. And there are a lot of gunnies here and lots of AR-15s here. While it's sad what happen. I'm with turf. Don't blame the guns. Blame the action of people.
Just my 2 cents.

Me personally I do not own a gun, nor  do I plan on it, but I am also a firm believer that killing someone is a lot like killing yourself. what I mean by that is if you truly mean to do it (kill) then you will find a way to do it, with or without guns. Like turf and fighterpilot said before what we should be more focused on is treating the mental health problems that exist in people that go out and do these things.

well for people who know me you know what time it is. Math time:

~30000 people die in the us by guns a year. ~60-70% of those are suicides. so ~10000-12000 homicides by guns. as their is no hard data on gang/drug related homicides across the us I will use the official estimate for the entire united states which is between 70-80% = ~2750 people killed annually not related to gangs/drugs/suicides and of that ~2750 another 2-5% are accidentally killed I.E. hunting accidents, leaving ammo in guns while cleaning, looking down the barrel, ETC. = ~2655 from what I would consider actual murders.

That's roughly the same as knives and bludgeoning wepons
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:19:37 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #8767 on: December 03, 2015, 03:51:16 pm »
There is no denying that a person intent on killing will find some way to do it. But, it will be much easier for others to take down that person if they have a knife/bat/club/etc. instead of a firearm. *shrug*

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8768 on: December 03, 2015, 03:58:43 pm »
The world's getting dangerous enough that having a firearm for self protection is more than reasonable. Between terrorist attacks, the growing number of sexual offenders, and mass shootings; why wouldn't you feel the need for protection?

And the criminals are gonna get guns whether it's legal or not. Criminals don't follow laws.

kashell

« Reply #8769 on: December 03, 2015, 04:26:48 pm »
Like I said, if they have the will they will find a way. There's no getting around that, which is why I'm hoping there is more education and treatment for those living with mental disorder.

However, self-protection is a nice idea. In practice with so many open-carry laws, the last thing anyone would feel in this sort of situation is protected. Despite their negative attention in the media, I'd feel far more protected with trained police officers than some random person who thinks he's/she's fighting for the common good.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8770 on: December 03, 2015, 05:10:40 pm »
I feel a little responsible for this turn of the thread.  Sorry. 

Despite their negative attention in the media, I'd feel far more protected with trained police officers than some random person who thinks he's/she's fighting for the common good.

In my experience, most people that have concealed carry permits are responsible and sound-minded people.  They know how to handle a firearm.  It's not just some wack job with a uzi.  I would rather have a trained officer too, but I'll take a guy with a .45 over nothing.

I, personally, may or may not carry a Springfield XD .40 in my truck.  I do have a crazy ex and all.   :o

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:12:51 pm by turf »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8771 on: December 03, 2015, 05:59:14 pm »
I feel a little responsible for this turn of the thread.  Sorry. 

Despite their negative attention in the media, I'd feel far more protected with trained police officers than some random person who thinks he's/she's fighting for the common good.

In my experience, most people that have concealed carry permits are responsible and sound-minded people.  They know how to handle a firearm.  It's not just some wack job with a uzi.  I would rather have a trained officer too, but I'll take a guy with a .45 over nothing.

I, personally, may or may not carry a Springfield XD .40 in my truck.  I do have a crazy ex and all.   :o

Being in LA county, and the fact i am not a "friend of the  Sheriff" (AKA, I do not donate to him large sums of money). I can not carry legally... (California hands out CCW based in which county you are in).
And if i was to, it wouldn't be a .40. I find the caliber to snappy lol. Be i do like XD's. good guns.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8772 on: December 03, 2015, 07:51:48 pm »
Like I said, if they have the will they will find a way. There's no getting around that, which is why I'm hoping there is more education and treatment for those living with mental disorder.

However, self-protection is a nice idea. In practice with so many open-carry laws, the last thing anyone would feel in this sort of situation is protected. Despite their negative attention in the media, I'd feel far more protected with trained police officers than some random person who thinks he's/she's fighting for the common good.

Not me, I'd feel safer being in control of the gun than letting someone else do it for me; waiting for response time, and letting them be indecisive because of said bad media attention.

But then, I'm not scared of guns. I grew up in a family that hunted, and I was in the military.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8773 on: December 03, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

And the criminals are gonna get guns whether it's legal or not. Criminals don't follow laws.

Well, as it stands most law abiding citizens do not own a gun and of those who do, don't not carry one with them when they go out, when they go to work, or when they go to see a movie. So, I don't see how this hurts innocent non gun owning citizens to tighten restrictions on them. Most mass shooters are not thugs with gang connections, at least my knowledge. They are just troubled people who have access to guns either purchased legally, or stolen from family or friends. Excluding gang-related violence, probably the same can be said for most other gun murders. From what I've heard, one of the guys involved in this shooting was on a no fly list, yet he was able to access guns.

I just think it's time something was done, at least something. I don't think this has to be the new normal, and I don't think we should have to live in fear of our neighbors, and our day-to-day lives. Having a gun at your side might make you feel safe, but it doesn't actually make you more safe in most situations. IMO.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:52:53 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #8774 on: December 03, 2015, 09:24:16 pm »

Just my 2 cents.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you own? I don't own anything right now, but I'd love to collect stuff that was imported before 1989. The prices on those (and Colt Pythons) are pretty much in low earth orbit now, you can buy a decent used car for what some of those go for now.