Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1657759 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9105 on: January 13, 2016, 02:14:38 pm »
It's just that to me, I would've half expected something like this to happen with Rodea, but Devil's Third? You never know what's gonna happen. Guess I need to pre-order every Wii U game to be safe, especially now that this sets the precedent for Wii U scalping.
Rodea didn't have that problem, did it?  Plus from what I've read, the Wii version is the definitive version of that game.  So first print was the way to go regardless.

Devil's third, I expected it to be under produced with how little Nintendo was talking about the game.  But I certainly didn't expect scalpers to have a field day with it.

I saw Rodea for Wii U (with bonus disc) at Target the other day.  I don't think it's rare. 

As for Devil's Third, scalpers are just continuing their trend of trying to screw you over every which way to get a game.  The video game market has become so damn cutthroat, I can't hardly stand it.  New releases of collector's editions or games that are perceived to be rare are snatched up to be resold with sky-high sticker prices on them. 

You can't touch a NES, SNES, N64 or PlayStation (one) game that's worth a crap these days for anything resembling a decent price.  Especially if it's an RPG.  Anything even remotely RPG on PlayStation is almost full, original retail price for used copies that aren't even mint. 

Nintendo doesn't help the situation out by making stingy, small runs.  Zelda games are always hot sellers, but the thing to do now is print one run and to hell with everyone else.  Want that copy of Ocarina of Time 3D?  Be ready to pay through the nose because Nintendo ain't printing any more!

It's left a sour taste in my mouth and continues to be a sore spot for me.  I don't feel like I should have to run out and preorder every friggin' game I may have an interest in because if I don't, scalpers will snatch them all up and jack the prices up to sell online.  This has also caused the domino effect that old games that are pretty common like Super Mario Bros. for the NES are being snatched up and sold for triple what they went for just a couple of years ago.  Condition and completeness be damned.
Yup.  It's ridiculous.  My boss at work gave me a sizable Amazon gift card as a bonus, it's the only reason I was willing and able to buy most of the games off my top 10 wishlist, I had to wait for good prices to show up because generally amazon is way up and over retail, but I got good prices for every game I bought and they all came in better condition than I was expecting... other than that one Ren & Stimpy thing.  I still have a good chunk of stuff on my wishlist in general, but I'm probably going to start slashing things off that list because I just don't care enough to go out and pay these fools.

Though, you can get Ocarina from Best Buy right now for MSRP... because they just reprinted it like a month ago.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9106 on: January 13, 2016, 02:14:55 pm »
My favorite system is the PS2, and I currently have 102 games for it, not including doubles, sports games I bought to use as box donors, and stuff I bought to trade or sell on eBay.

On a slightly related note, I'm out of shelf space. I need to figure out whether I'm going to make more shelves for the bookshelf I currently use or buy another.

I downloaded a VR tour of the solar system which also has some comparisons to other stars.  I have to say it was very impressive as I was whisked through space.
That sounds like it might be fun on controlled substances, lol.

Build this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXTkD7Rq2jU

I built one and it works and I like it. Works great for CD cases. And if I can build it, anyone can!
Thanks! My friend's dad was a carpenter, so putting something like that together shouldn't be a problem.
I actually just had an argument with a guy about this the other day.  He said he IS a carpenter and argued with me that there is no way to do that for under $20, that the materials would cost $300 alone to make that shelf.  And about 30 people jumped on the bandwagon and started agreeing with him.  Maybe they are secretly Amazon affiliates trying to convince folks to buy $150 shelving units from amazon to get store credit.

$300 to make 1 shelf? dude is tripping. I got my lumber at home depo and it was cheap lol
Dude was like "Where do you live?  Where do you get your materials"  I'm like... uh... Lowe's, wood is like $3 a piece.

I think the dude must've been stuck on using the most expensive wood possible.  Mind you, if you want to paint and finish your shelving unit, of course it is going to cost more.  Me?  I used sandpaper to smooth out the edges and I think it looks fantastic and I won't get splinters.  I'm actually planning on making a few more shelves in the coming months so I can get rid of the shelving unit I bought from Best Buy.  I'll have to count again, but I know the shelves I made hold a shit ton of games.

I helped put a gaming shelf together once, but it was deeper shelving and built horizontally, probably about 20 ft long with six shelves. They used one of the higher cuts of wood, I think each piece was about $18, plus wood screws and black spray paint, it probably cost about $200 and was large enough to house about 800 - 1000 games.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9107 on: January 13, 2016, 02:21:52 pm »

Yup.  It's ridiculous.  My boss at work gave me a sizable Amazon gift card as a bonus, it's the only reason I was willing and able to buy most of the games off my top 10 wishlist, I had to wait for good prices to show up because generally amazon is way up and over retail, but I got good prices for every game I bought and they all came in better condition than I was expecting... other than that one Ren & Stimpy thing.  I still have a good chunk of stuff on my wishlist in general, but I'm probably going to start slashing things off that list because I just don't care enough to go out and pay these fools.

Though, you can get Ocarina from Best Buy right now for MSRP... because they just reprinted it like a month ago.

I've never seen a decent price on anything at Amazon. Basically every time I look I see disc/cart only in acceptable condition starting at prices similar to eBays most expensive BINs for complete copies, and 10 out of 15 listings on Amazon are usually disc only, or little to no description of condition status. That's why I never buy from there.

maximo310

« Reply #9108 on: January 13, 2016, 02:40:34 pm »

I've never seen a decent price on anything at Amazon. Basically every time I look I see disc/cart only in acceptable condition starting at prices similar to eBays most expensive BINs for complete copies, and 10 out of 15 listings on Amazon are usually disc only, or little to no description of condition status. That's why I never buy from there.
I've seen and gotten some good deals on Amazon from time to time, but those usually get snatched up ridiculously quickly most of the time, or other listings have terrible high prices.

« Reply #9109 on: January 13, 2016, 02:59:28 pm »

Things I've purchased from Amazon recently and their condition

Castlevania Lords of Shadow Collection (Brand New) - $15.62 shipped. | Arrives tomorrow.  VGPC - $14.49
Kirby's Block Ball (Acceptable) - $3.95 shipped. | Arrives today  VGPC - $5.76
Fire Emblem GBA (Acceptable) - $25.24 shipped. | Minty label, cart only  VGPC at time of purchase $28.  Current $22.88
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (Acceptable) - 37.48 shipped. | Minty label, cart only.  VGPC - $39.99
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (Good) - 33.38 shipped. | Black label, complete, great condition.  Slight crack on front case, easy cheap fix. VGPC - $45.99
Virtual Chess 64 (Acceptable) - $5.98 shipped. | Minty label, cart only. VGPC - $5.97
Turrican Gameboy (Good) - $5.94 shipped. | Minty label, manual included... also minty. VGPC - $9.97 (Loose)
Chibi-Robo (Very Good) - $59.99 shipped. | Complete, I would have classified that listing as Like New. VGPC - $66
Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals (Good) - $29.98 shipped. | Minty label, cart only. VGPC - $34.99
Izuna DS (Good) - $25.53 shipped. | Complete.  Area on case where Gamestop label used to be, quick easy fix with some goo off. VGPC - $50
Resident Evil 3 GCN (Very Good) - $24.60 shipped. | Complete.  I would have classified that listing as Like New. VGPC - $32.94
Ren and Stimpy Buckaroo SNES (Like New) - $43.98 shipped. | Received Acceptable condition NES game.  Refunded $49.98. VGPC - $49.99 (SNES) $14 (NES)
Sum of All Fears GCN (Very Good) - $5.44 shipped. | Complete. I would have classified that listing as Like New. - VGPC - $6.56
Action Replay 4mb Saturn (Acceptable) - $22.01 shipped. | Brand new sealed with a slight dent in one corner. Cheapest ebay BIN - $27.34 shipped
SSX on Tour GCN (Very Good) - $4.94 shipped.  Complete. | I would have classified that listing as Like New. VGPC - $8.90

I think that's some pretty good stuff.

kashell

« Reply #9110 on: January 13, 2016, 03:18:39 pm »
As for Devil's Third, scalpers are just continuing their trend of trying to screw you over every which way to get a game.  The video game market has become so damn cutthroat, I can't hardly stand it.  New releases of collector's editions or games that are perceived to be rare are snatched up to be resold with sky-high sticker prices on them. 

You can't touch a NES, SNES, N64 or PlayStation (one) game that's worth a crap these days for anything resembling a decent price.  Especially if it's an RPG.  Anything even remotely RPG on PlayStation is almost full, original retail price for used copies that aren't even mint. 

Nintendo doesn't help the situation out by making stingy, small runs.  Zelda games are always hot sellers, but the thing to do now is print one run and to hell with everyone else.  Want that copy of Ocarina of Time 3D?  Be ready to pay through the nose because Nintendo ain't printing any more!

It's left a sour taste in my mouth and continues to be a sore spot for me.  I don't feel like I should have to run out and preorder every friggin' game I may have an interest in because if I don't, scalpers will snatch them all up and jack the prices up to sell online.  This has also caused the domino effect that old games that are pretty common like Super Mario Bros. for the NES are being snatched up and sold for triple what they went for just a couple of years ago.  Condition and completeness be damned.

Wow, this is...beautifully worded because this is how I feel about the practice of scalping. These folks are shameful, but just as shameful are those that shell out the money to buy these overpriced pieces of entertainment.

Regarding Amazon, it just depends on what you want and luck.  I usually get gift cards to Amazon so I hunt for little things there instead of eBay. I've had a lot of luck finding great stuff.

gf78

« Reply #9111 on: January 13, 2016, 03:32:15 pm »
Wow, this is...beautifully worded because this is how I feel about the practice of scalping. These folks are shameful, but just as shameful are those that shell out the money to buy these overpriced pieces of entertainment.

Regarding Amazon, it just depends on what you want and luck.  I usually get gift cards to Amazon so I hunt for little things there instead of eBay. I've had a lot of luck finding great stuff.

Thanks.  I just need a break.  I'm really considering going to GameStop after work and cancelling some of my preorders.  I already cancelled my online Street Fighter V Collector's Edition preorder and converted my Dark Souls III preorder to the standard Day-One edition.  I have Life is Strange, Republique and Mighty No. 9 that honestly, I don't see myself playing anytime soon.  They will just sit on my shelf, unopened and unloved.  I'm even iffy on whether I want to buy Dark Souls III right now or wait for a price drop. 

Maybe I'm going into one of my depressed stages.  Anyone who lives with depression knows what I'm talking about.  When you stop enjoying the things you normally love doing/playing.  I've had this my entire life so it's probably just one of those times when I absolutely don't give a crap about anything. 

In any event though, happy collecting everyone.   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #9112 on: January 13, 2016, 03:51:00 pm »
I think everyone goes through ups and downs with their hobbies. I know that Dark Souls III will be one of the games that I'll wait to buy until it goes down in price.

Just do what feels right. I'm sure that all of those new titles won't be going anywhere.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9113 on: January 13, 2016, 03:56:21 pm »
Ever get disappointed by nostalgia?

Happened to me yesterday. I had an arcade at the local Circle-K as a kid that had the beat-em game Combatribes that I really liked. I recently picked it up for SNES for over $30 for the just the cartridge (SNES prices are getting out of hand); and it wasn't nearly as cool as I remember.

Basically you fight a small group of henchmen, the level barely scrolls very far, then you fight a boss, end of level. You can beat a level in literally like a minute or two. And there are a total of 5 levels.

So disappointed.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9114 on: January 13, 2016, 04:01:31 pm »
Ever get disappointed by nostalgia?

Happened to me yesterday. I had an arcade at the local Circle-K as a kid that had the beat-em game Combatribes that I really liked. I recently picked it up for SNES for over $30 for the just the cartridge (SNES prices are getting out of hand); and it wasn't nearly as cool as I remember.

Basically you fight a small group of henchmen, the level barely scrolls very far, then you fight a boss, end of level. You can beat a level in literally like a minute or two. And there are a total of 5 levels.

So disappointed.

Sounds fun. I like easy games. I have that one, just never played it. :-\

« Reply #9115 on: January 13, 2016, 04:03:40 pm »

Thanks.  I just need a break.  I'm really considering going to GameStop after work and cancelling some of my preorders.  I already cancelled my online Street Fighter V Collector's Edition preorder and converted my Dark Souls III preorder to the standard Day-One edition.  I have Life is Strange, Republique and Mighty No. 9 that honestly, I don't see myself playing anytime soon.  They will just sit on my shelf, unopened and unloved.  I'm even iffy on whether I want to buy Dark Souls III right now or wait for a price drop. 

Maybe I'm going into one of my depressed stages.  Anyone who lives with depression knows what I'm talking about.  When you stop enjoying the things you normally love doing/playing.  I've had this my entire life so it's probably just one of those times when I absolutely don't give a crap about anything. 

In any event though, happy collecting everyone.   ;)
My wife went through that frequently at one point, we've changed a lot of stuff in our lives for the better.  Now I'm the one who gets all mopey and shit and want to get rid of my collection.

desocietas

« Reply #9116 on: January 13, 2016, 05:42:03 pm »
The other side of this, If you purchase Gamers Club Unlocked at Best Buy ($30 for 2 years, significantly cheaper than Prime), you get 20% of all new games at Best Buy, pre-order or not.  You also get 10% off used titles (a la Gamestop PUR)

On paper, I'd be all over the GCU at Best Buy, but my BB has a terrible used collection, and most of the new things I get these days are collector's editions of some sort. Unfortunately, BB doesn't have the sort of relationship with publishers that allows them to get the CEs I'd like while Amazon or Gamestop do.

Also, it might be the genre of games I'm interested in, but even if I want a standard edition of a game, they usually don't have it there because it's probably not mainstream enough.

I should mention also that I don't drive, and my friends and I share a Prime account to cut down on costs and spread the wealth on deals like what they're currently offering.

But I agree that GCU is a good deal, but it just doesn't happen to work for me (though I wish it did because I'd like to support at least some sort of local business, even if it's a big box store). Amazon Prime just happens to offer more features for me to make it work my while, but I only recommend it to people who make that $99/year or whatever it costs work for them.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9117 on: January 13, 2016, 07:31:29 pm »
I sent an email to Nintendo regarding the Nintendo Land thing. We'll see if they come through for me.

« Reply #9118 on: January 14, 2016, 08:22:55 am »
The other side of this, If you purchase Gamers Club Unlocked at Best Buy ($30 for 2 years, significantly cheaper than Prime), you get 20% of all new games at Best Buy, pre-order or not.  You also get 10% off used titles (a la Gamestop PUR)

On paper, I'd be all over the GCU at Best Buy, but my BB has a terrible used collection, and most of the new things I get these days are collector's editions of some sort. Unfortunately, BB doesn't have the sort of relationship with publishers that allows them to get the CEs I'd like while Amazon or Gamestop do.

Also, it might be the genre of games I'm interested in, but even if I want a standard edition of a game, they usually don't have it there because it's probably not mainstream enough.

I should mention also that I don't drive, and my friends and I share a Prime account to cut down on costs and spread the wealth on deals like what they're currently offering.

But I agree that GCU is a good deal, but it just doesn't happen to work for me (though I wish it did because I'd like to support at least some sort of local business, even if it's a big box store). Amazon Prime just happens to offer more features for me to make it work my while, but I only recommend it to people who make that $99/year or whatever it costs work for them.
I've stopped buying CEs and LEs, but when I was buying them, other than exclusives, I was able to get every CE I wanted from BB's website.

Mirror's Edge is one of the few ones I had kept an eye on that never popped up on BB, but it's way too much money for what you get even with the GCU.

I pay for prime, but I get the student discount at $49.  I don't use Instant Video, I don't use the Kindle library, I don't use the music player.  I use the 2 day shipping, often.  I use Prime Now.  That's about it me thinks.  Once I'm forced to pay $99 a year, I may stop paying.  I definitely don't think I make enough purchases on Amazon to justify that money.

gf78

« Reply #9119 on: January 14, 2016, 08:59:12 am »
My wife went through that frequently at one point, we've changed a lot of stuff in our lives for the better.  Now I'm the one who gets all mopey and shit and want to get rid of my collection.

I'm not thinking of ditching my collection or anything like that.  I just feel like it's more pressure than pleasure.  I had this metric $hitton of games preordered and it felt like a monkey on my back, thinking how the hell I'm going to be able to play all of them when the only thing I've been playing is Black Ops III with my kids and I still have a dozen games still factory sealed?  So I did what I felt was right.  I went to GameStop last night, canned a half-dozen preorders and used the store credit to pay off games I still have preordered and picked up some Star Wars stuff as well.  They had the Kotobukiya Star Wars Snowtrooper 2-pack marked down and I picked that up.  It looks pretty badass sitting by my PS4.  I also dropped my Uncharted 4 down to the standard edition because really, what the hell am I going to do with another big ass collector's edition box taking up room I already don't have? 

And the games I cancelled?  I still want to play them.  But if I wait a few months I can pick them up for less than half-price new.  If I wait even longer, they will be even cheaper.  So it's a win-win situation for me.

On a side note, I had 22 issues of Game Informer that I bought on eBay, shipped on December 30th Priority Mail flat-rate....and they disappeared somewhere in California.  They finally showed up yesterday.  Two weeks for a package that should have taken two days?  Way to go USPS.  Way to go.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us