Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1517347 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11160 on: May 26, 2016, 03:52:05 pm »
I've genuinely been wondering for the past day or two as to why I don't already have a shirt that expresses my disdain for insensate people. "I hate stupid people," is a great way to display my thoughts to the public. A nice "don't ask me for directions" kind of shirt.

Badges

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11161 on: May 26, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »
Didn't even realize it, but at some point recently I passed 5,000 posts here. Woo hoo!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11162 on: May 26, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »
So, anyways didn't have time to work on the SNES last night but I was just thinking I have not bought anything with my save my change yet. I was thinking about picking up some Phantasy Star titles. Has anyone played them? Would it benefit me to get a SMS and PS1 and play through that first?

Phantasy Star is a cool RPG series.  If you are unsure, buy the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 first.  It has all the original Phantasy Star games on it.

Not to mention Shining Force!

Btw, weren't we just recently on post #10,000/jar jar binks/posting greed?

PS:

Who's played/thoughts on Wild Arms 3?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #11163 on: May 26, 2016, 03:59:01 pm »
Literally my favorite RPG of all time.

Great characters, great story, ability to mitigate some of those annoying random battles, zelda-esque puzzles/dungeons, wild west/sci-fi feel.

I think it's definitely a game that could easily be played one handed as well.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:02:50 pm by ctracy87 »

kashell

« Reply #11164 on: May 26, 2016, 04:00:44 pm »

It's a great game. It was the game that really got me into the series.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11165 on: May 26, 2016, 04:04:12 pm »

Great characters, great story, ability to mitigate some of those annoying random battles, zelda-esque puzzles/dungeons, wild west/sci-fi feel.

Really?

What did you like about it so much?

I just picked up the PS4 version of it for $11 and change...Now, I'm thinking of playing it as my next game!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11166 on: May 26, 2016, 04:05:00 pm »
I still have to play through my copy of the first Wild Arms.

« Reply #11167 on: May 26, 2016, 04:13:17 pm »

Really?

What did you like about it so much?

I just picked up the PS4 version of it for $11 and change...Now, I'm thinking of playing it as my next game!
I liked the characters, they all had fairly expressive dialog and all come from varying backgrounds, but as you progress through the game you find that all of the characters are linked somehow.  All of the characters have a fairly rich backstory, you get to meet the character's families, friends, and homes.

The puzzles in most of the dungeons remind me of zelda, each of the 4 characters has tools (by the end of the game they each have 3 tools, 12 total I believe), so you have to use their tools to solve "puzzles" Zelda style.  Being a huge fan of Zelda, that's an attractive quality in a game.

The battle system is a generic turn based system, but in place of MP/Mana, they use FP (Force Power I think) which starts at a value equivalent to your level and goes up when you deal or take damage, so you never have to worry about Mana potions or anything between battles.  I would definitely say it's a RPG that relies more on story telling than unique gameplay features.  Wild Arms 4 was when they started to implement the HEX battle system and the story seemed to wane in quality.

The music in the game is fantastic, it's up there in my top games for their soundtracks.

Plus the plot of the game is the type of story I like.

Gah, I want to play this game again.  My wife told me not to buy the PS4 version until I'm actually going to play it, but I'm making myself burn through the Assassin's Creed franchise.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:18:33 pm by ctracy87 »

kashell

« Reply #11168 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:18 pm »
Yeah, the story in Wild ARMs 4 was a bit bizarre. Every time someone mentioned something about the "beautiful bonds of friendship" I groaned.

« Reply #11169 on: May 26, 2016, 04:20:02 pm »
Yeah, the story in Wild ARMs 4 was a bit bizarre. Every time someone mentioned something about the "beautiful bonds of friendship" I groaned.
I wanna say 5 was only slightly better.  When I played through 5 all I could think of was Simon and Yoko from Gurren Lagann.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11170 on: May 26, 2016, 04:23:42 pm »
How's Alter Code F and XF, then?

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11171 on: May 26, 2016, 06:31:11 pm »
Got the official AC adapter for the SNES today. The first level of Goof Troop tells me I have a working SNES!!!

« Reply #11172 on: May 26, 2016, 07:22:39 pm »
Alter Code F is basically a remake of the first game, I recommend it over the original, it is actually pretty fantastic and I always forget about it.  I would say it is my 3rd favorite Wild Arms game, right after 2.

XF sucks sideways.  It is only Wild Arms in name.  It is basically Wild Arms single foray into Tactical RPGs, I have heard it compared to final fantasy tactics, and as such, I have stayed away from FF Tactics.  If you like overly complicated tactical RPGs, give it a go, but I find the game overly complicated for my tastes.

I liked the 3rd game so much, but I did 0 research into the game at all release wise, so when my wife was searching for gifts for me she found out that they released a collector's edition of 3 in japan and she bought it for me.  In my opinion, one of the coolest things I own.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:25:33 pm by ctracy87 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11173 on: May 26, 2016, 07:57:43 pm »
I thought I had all of my NES boxes in box protectors.  Then I was digging for stuff that pertained to tonight's episode of Our Parents Basement (Live at 9:30et/6:30pt), and I found 30 or so more boxes.  :o #CollectorProblems

kashell

« Reply #11174 on: May 27, 2016, 08:37:31 am »
Alter Code F is basically a remake of the first game, I recommend it over the original, it is actually pretty fantastic and I always forget about it.  I would say it is my 3rd favorite Wild Arms game, right after 2.

XF sucks sideways.  It is only Wild Arms in name.  It is basically Wild Arms single foray into Tactical RPGs, I have heard it compared to final fantasy tactics, and as such, I have stayed away from FF Tactics.  If you like overly complicated tactical RPGs, give it a go, but I find the game overly complicated for my tastes.

I liked the 3rd game so much, but I did 0 research into the game at all release wise, so when my wife was searching for gifts for me she found out that they released a collector's edition of 3 in japan and she bought it for me.  In my opinion, one of the coolest things I own.

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you on these two.

Alter Code F is fine at best and buggy at worst. The game is prone to freezing, which was a huge issue in certain dungeons. The game has more updated graphics in comparison to its original, but the character art looks much more generic. There's more stuff to do, but half of that stuff feels like filler. One good thing I do like is that it lets you recruit Jane, Emma and *SPOILERS* which was a nice touch.

XF is a tactical RPG, but battles feel more like a puzzle. They are more reliant on figuring out the right troops to bring, trial & error, using the right tools, etc. You can't muscle through battles or rely on having high levels. That said, it's a love it or leave it kind of game and the VP system can turn away casual SRPG fans. I enjoy it, but I haven't finished it yet.