Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1534243 times)

pacpix

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #4380 on: November 06, 2014, 10:21:56 pm »
I haven't looked into Wizardry. At least not yet. Do I need to play other games in the series to enjoy it?
While I have not played it personally, Tales of the Forsaken Land does not require previous knowledge of the series, it is a standalone spinoff that got a sequel, but was only released in Japan.  I'm slowly making my way through the series, playing Wizardry IV right now.  If you are interested in trying out earlier entries Wizardry: Llygamyn Saga and Wizardry: New Age of Llylgamyn for Japan PS1 is the best way to go. Updated graphics, automap, saving if you do not want to play with permadeath, etc.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

maximo310

« Reply #4381 on: November 06, 2014, 10:55:30 pm »
Welp, my phone finally crapped out..... stupid iphone.

Time for an Android based phone. ;)

Oh mannnnnnn a 911 button! Thats what I need
Get a Nokia 3310! I hear they're indestructible!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:57:36 pm by maximo310 »

argyle

« Reply #4382 on: November 06, 2014, 10:56:06 pm »
I have random stubborness about things. I pretty much refuse to get one at this point out of some kind of idealistic [stupid] pride, lol. The only reason I have even considered getting one for more than a second is because of collecting. Sometimes it would be nice to price check games while I'm out hunting, but it's never been enough of a motivation to make me seriously consider getting one.

you could always call/text a VGC member haha.

Or any friend with an internet connection.

I have a friend with a smart phone who occasionally joins me when I go game shopping... I make him my mule and feel kinda guilty about it when I do, lol.

and Davifus, I have a happy life!

I Don't think you're Happy enough, that's right. I'll teach you to be happy,.. I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs

The little critters of the world...they don't know that they're ugly!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4383 on: November 07, 2014, 06:20:16 am »
I haven't looked into Wizardry. At least not yet. Do I need to play other games in the series to enjoy it?

Absolutely not.

It's completely standalone (except for a loosely-related, JP only 'sequel'); 1st Wizardry game I ever played + no problems  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #4384 on: November 07, 2014, 08:11:16 am »
Regarding the tooth thing...gross. Feel better. But gross. XD

Regarding Wizardry. So, I have this thing about me when it comes to collecting. For the most part, I like to collect the entire franchise if I really enjoy one or two games in the franchise. Here's an example. The Tales series is my favorite series of all time, but there have been some real stinkers such as Tales of the World and Tales of Legendia. However, since I like the franchise as a whole, I still own them. Another example: Tenchu. Love, love, love Tenchu. Again, though, there has been the awful Tenchu DS and the original Tenchus haven't aged very well. Still, I own them.

So, if I really end up enjoying Wizardry, that would be another franchise to collect. I'm all for adding to the collection, but I have to play a few games in the series before I do so. Are the Wizardry games cheap? If they are, which ones besides the PS2 game should I try?

I'm still going through Kartia and enjoying more now than I did back in the day. Toxa's battle theme is fantastic. I think I'll be listening to that soundtrack at work today.

EDIT: Hmm, so the game is from a first person perspective?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:17:37 am by kashell »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4385 on: November 07, 2014, 08:58:30 am »
I'm not sure of the prices for most Wizardry games.  I do know that there's a relatively inexpensive one that (I think) is PSN only called Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls.  However, my understanding is that it's closer to the traditional/pc games than it is TotFL.

Tears to Tiara 2 update -

Massive difficulty spike between stages 4 & 5!

This will, no doubt, be both a time-consuming & difficult game to plat * (at least for me, it would be)*

There's 2 mc's,

neither one is op'd,

either ones HP = 0 is an instant game-over

battle ranks "S" is the best...must "S" all for a trophy / lose points for anyone falling, using items, every turn that passes, using anyone who's not at least 2 levels below enemy levels (at the End of the battle; it's easy to gain 1-5 levels during the battle!), letting your (pretty weak & useless) 'mascot' character's HP hit 0, and for not fufilling the Bonus conditions (anything from kill the 2 strongest enemies w/ your weakest character to beat 2 *hard* Bosses, who can easily 1HKO your entire party...w/o any of those 3 getting ko'd, etc) + another trophy for getting all of the battle bonuses.

There is a "rewind" mechanic that lets you rewind from 1-20 turns -but- I refuse to use it because it's game-breaking & would feel like cheating to me...what's the point of playing a strategy game, when you can get a "do-over" whenever you fuck up  :o

story, music, characters are all excellent!

So far, it's been about 90/10...

90 = Visual novel, reading, exposition, dialogue, etc and

10 = party management & combat.

On average, you can save every 20 to 30 minutes

abe

« Reply #4386 on: November 07, 2014, 09:04:06 am »
As requested by Mr. Disgaeniac regarding Tears to Tiara II

Quote from: disgaeniac
I'm just starting chapter 2 in it (4-5 hours of gameplay time) and...I'm absolutely loving it  ;D

So far, it's been about 70/30 (w/ the 70 = story, dialogue, and exposition and the 30 = battles & combat); this, IMO, is a Big gamble -but- so far, everything's been interesting & compelling enough to make it work.

and

I'm not sure if/when I'll plat this one...

I probably will, though -but- there's a good chance that I'd 90% it...and come back to finish up the plat a month or 2 later.

It has a pretty plain list consisting of 57 trophies:

(1) platinum,

(2-46) "comlete stage #1 - complete stage #45"; really!

(47) clear everything on Easy or harder,

(48) clear everything on normal or harder,

(49) clear everything on hard,

(50) clear Bonus dungeon,

(51) get (an average) of "S" rank on results screen,

(52) charm 100+ beasts,

(53) get every bonus on every stage,

(54) beat 1,000+ enemies,

(55) use 1,000+ chain attacks,

(56) use boosted magic 500+ times, and

(57) use every possible joint attack.
So, looks time-consuming to me  :o
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4387 on: November 07, 2014, 09:06:55 am »
As requested by Mr. Disgaeniac regarding Tears to Tiara II

I'm just starting chapter 2 in it (4-5 hours of gameplay time) and...I'm absolutely loving it  ;D

So far, it's been about 70/30 (w/ the 70 = story, dialogue, and exposition and the 30 = battles & combat); this, IMO, is a Big gamble -but- so far, everything's been interesting & compelling enough to make it work.

and

I'm not sure if/when I'll plat this one...

I probably will, though -but- there's a good chance that I'd 90% it...and come back to finish up the plat a month or 2 later.

It has a pretty plain list consisting of 57 trophies:

(1) platinum,

(2-46) "comlete stage #1 - complete stage #45"; really!

(47) clear everything on Easy or harder,

(48) clear everything on normal or harder,

(49) clear everything on hard,

(50) clear Bonus dungeon,

(51) get (an average) of "S" rank on results screen,

(52) charm 100+ beasts,

(53) get every bonus on every stage,

(54) beat 1,000+ enemies,

(55) use 1,000+ chain attacks,

(56) use boosted magic 500+ times, and

(57) use every possible joint attack.
So, looks time-consuming to me  :o

Thanks abe!

This was/is for you KASH...my 1st impressions & at about 10 hours in  ;D

argyle

« Reply #4388 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:41 am »
Ick, that sounds like a game where going for the plat would suck the fun out of it. One of my pet peeves is being ranked on levels anyway, I say that should be something you can toggle on & off. If I'm not worried about rank & just want to enjoy the game, it sucks to beat a level and have it basically pop up & say "YOU SUCK!!" at the end of every stage. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4389 on: November 07, 2014, 09:47:19 am »
Ick, that sounds like a game where going for the plat would suck the fun out of it. One of my pet peeves is being ranked on levels anyway, I say that should be something you can toggle on & off. If I'm not worried about rank & just want to enjoy the game, it sucks to beat a level and have it basically pop up & say "YOU SUCK!!" at the end of every stage. :P

I agree.

The only part of their scoring criterion that I like is the one that keeps it challenging & interesting by docking points for being over-levelled.

...carried over from our last PM - nah, there's nothing that I'm really hoping to see in the sales.

Seeing as I have games pre-ordered through the end of Feb. 2015, I'm pretty caught up  8)

kashell

« Reply #4390 on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:34 am »
Thanks so much for the impressions, dark. I think the most effective way of earning the platinum (if that's still in the cards) is to play two files. First, go through the game on Easy while earning the bonuses. Also, you don't have to S rank all of the battles. Just most of them, if that's any consolation. After you finish the game, you have to deal with the brutal bonus dungeon. Then, attempt to beat the game on hard.

Honestly, this sounds like it could be a really fun game to platinum but then it pulls a 180 and it sounds awful. I'm on episode 21 of the anime and I decided to purchase Rhiannon and Arwan DLC since I am loving those two characters. Maybe that will help things.

I got your PM. I'll be sending you a reply once I'm done with a meeting I have to attend. ^^

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4391 on: November 07, 2014, 11:13:08 am »
Never a problem, Kashell, my darling  ;)

NEAT!

Thanks to abe's suggestion, I traded my old trophy card in for a new one from psnprofiles.com

Not only do I like its look & layout better but, you can also check a lot of interesting trophy statistics & trivia there.

For example, my favorite stat breaks down the rarity of your trophies (from "common" to "ultra rare"), and shows how many people own the game + how many (what %) of them have earned said trophies.

I was surprised to find that 21 of my trophies were considered "ultra rare"; the stats concerning those 21...I found pretty funny & interesting:

*  only one of them was a platinum (Cross Edge),

* 17 of them were from the same 2 games, 11 (Guided Fate Paradox) and 6 (Cross Edge),

*  3 (Disgaea 4) and the last one from (Disgaea D2), and

*  that there were < 100 people worldwide to get 3 or 4 of them!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4392 on: November 07, 2014, 11:18:05 am »
Some creepy/scary shit happen last night.... It was about 1am and I was half asleep... my bed is right next to the door(you walk into my room and look left and there is my bed)... anyway, I could have sworn my door was latched closed... anyway, I am a very light sleeper, and it sounded like my doorknob was turned and my bedroom door slowly opened, as if someone was seeing if I was in there.... so I was awoken and said "yes??" no one answered, so I got out of bed and started to look outside my bedroom... nothing.... did a quick walk around, the house was dark and no one else was up.... huh... creepy.....

Went back to bed, closed the door all the way.... later in the night I woke up to go to bathroom.... could have sworn i closed my door again.... about 3:30 am.... happens again, sounded like someone turned the doorknob and the door slowly opened.....

Creepy damn creepy. that has never happen  before.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4393 on: November 07, 2014, 01:14:56 pm »
I freaking hate it when I go to pages that have so many damn ads all over the place that it slows down while you're just trying to scroll down the page!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:53:33 pm by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4394 on: November 07, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »
I freaking hate it when I got to pages that have so many damn ads all over the place that it slows down while you're just trying to scroll down the page!

solution?

ONE OF plUS.  ONE OF  pl US.  ONE OF  plUS

;)