Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1532249 times)

foxhack

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #4515 on: November 13, 2014, 07:52:29 pm »
I'm going through my recent purchases and apparently I already owned Barbie: Race & Ride somehow. o_O

« Reply #4516 on: November 13, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »
I'm going through my recent purchases and apparently I already owned Barbie: Race & Ride somehow. o_O

You can never have too many copies.

davifus

« Reply #4517 on: November 13, 2014, 08:17:57 pm »

You can never have too many copies.

Yeah, Who knows Barbie: Race & Ride might jump up in price one day  8)
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

kashell

« Reply #4518 on: November 14, 2014, 08:22:00 am »
Well...slap me silly with a hollow pack of potatoes...Ines might just be my new favorite character in  Hearts!

argyle

« Reply #4519 on: November 14, 2014, 09:20:05 am »

Hey, I've bought a game I already owned before - I imagine most of us here have. But...I would like to think that would be one I would remember.  :P

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4520 on: November 14, 2014, 09:44:57 am »
Well...slap me silly with a hollow pack of potatoes...Ines might just be my new favorite character in  Hearts!

Wait untill you meet the cast of Tears to Tiara 2  8)

On the subject of TtT2 - a warning to players of it...stage #18 of the game should not be started or entered into lightly by anyone who has anything to do/anywhere to go...for, say - the next 1.5 to 2 hours; yes!  it's that big of a map/battle  :o

Oh yeah - so we were channel surffing a few days ago and, Carrie flipped to the Comedy Channel - only for us to see & find...on the Colbert Show

...none other than -

...Anita Sarkeesian on the show/talking to him  :-\

If nothing else - it cleared my conscience (and dispelled any questions) that my vehement dislike of her was based on anything sexist and/or gender-related; Carrie couldn't stand her, either!   :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #4521 on: November 14, 2014, 10:37:27 am »

Wait untill you meet the cast of Tears to Tiara 2  8)

On the subject of TtT2 - a warning to players of it...stage #18 of the game should not be started or entered into lightly by anyone who has anything to do/anywhere to go...for, say - the next 1.5 to 2 hours; yes!  it's that big of a map/battle  :o

Oh yeah - so we were channel surffing a few days ago and, Carrie flipped to the Comedy Channel - only for us to see & find...on the Colbert Show

...none other than -

...Anita Sarkeesian on the show/talking to him  :-\

If nothing else - it cleared my conscience (and dispelled any questions) that my vehement dislike of her was based on anything sexist and/or gender-related; Carrie couldn't stand her, either!   :P

My wife can't stand her & thinks she's nuts as well. I showed her one of her videos I had tried to watch, and it just infuriated her. We turned it off, then after talking about it for a few minutes she asked me to start it back up because she wanted to try to finish it. I don't think we made it a minute further when she told me to stop & close it, she just couldn't do it. :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

kashell

« Reply #4522 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:46 am »
I wasn't familiar with her until I read the Wikipedia page. I thought this tidbit was insulting:

"After the Utah State University death threats, Rolling Stone called her "pop culture's most valuable critic," saying that "the backlash has only made her point for her: Gaming has a problem."

Gaming has a problem? Rolling Stone has always been one of the worst excuses of a magazine. It's like a swarm of stinkbugs on your screen door. It's like a broken toilet that someone used. It's trash in print form. And this quote from them has reinforced my point. Gaming doesn't have a problem. How does it have a problem? Because some woman wants to address the issues of how women are portrayed in video games?

I feel bad that this woman got endlessly harassed and threatened, but it sounds like she just wants attention and is giving gamers a bad name.

argyle

« Reply #4523 on: November 14, 2014, 11:34:24 am »
I wasn't familiar with her until I read the Wikipedia page. I thought this tidbit was insulting:

"After the Utah State University death threats, Rolling Stone called her "pop culture's most valuable critic," saying that "the backlash has only made her point for her: Gaming has a problem."

Gaming has a problem? Rolling Stone has always been one of the worst excuses of a magazine. It's like a swarm of stinkbugs on your screen door. It's like a broken toilet that someone used. It's trash in print form. And this quote from them has reinforced my point. Gaming doesn't have a problem. How does it have a problem? Because some woman wants to address the issues of how women are portrayed in video games?

I feel bad that this woman got endlessly harassed and threatened, but it sounds like she just wants attention and is giving gamers a bad name.

IMO that's like covering a riot that breaks out after a big football game & then saying "Football has a problem." No it doesn't - some fanatics who do not represent the normal football fan have a problem.

The video game industry is bigger than both the movie and music industries. If games really caused people to act violently, send death threats to people, etc. then society would have broken down by now & turned into some dystopian Mad Max nightmare.  ::)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4524 on: November 14, 2014, 11:41:27 am »

....Might have to give up your man card on that one.......
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4525 on: November 14, 2014, 11:49:55 am »

You don't remember the ongoing discussion about her/this topic that we had on RPG'sEE, Kash?

I'm pretty sure that, (a small minority) of the community - made the stupidly shitty, immensely ignorant, blatantly bullshit, & super-sexist comments that kimimi wound up closing her G*FAQs account over.

Anywho, iirc - it was mainly (creek & myself); who were basically bashing her ethics & her (lack of) any financial transparency and/or responsibility.

I believe that - it started out as a Kickstarter that was (originally) asking for what seemed like a reasonable amount of start-up money.  I'm not sure...maybe it was a couple thousand bucks, or so to make a video about women's tropes & stereotypes in gaming; fair enough.

Then, after reaching her goal, she (*supposedly*) got all of this extremely vitriolic feedback & death-threats from internet neanderthals ("supposedly"); because there was A LOT of speculation & concern (but, little concrete/damning evidence) of it being a bunch of 'astro-turfing' (read: all of these horrible & terrible posts/threats, originating from herself, her friends, etc)...to draw attention to, gain sympathy for, and - ultimately -  make more money.

It worked.

She wound up with, I want to say it was $100,000 - $200,000!

No change in the scope of the project...no accounting/returning of ALL of that extra "above & beyond" money, no extra rewards to the original backers, etc.

Rolling Stone magazine?

I really can't say anything one way or the other...I doubt that I've read more than a couple of pages of it, in my entire life.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #4526 on: November 14, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »
I guess this is one of those incidents where you have to remember that there are three sides to every story: hers, theirs and the truth. On the one hand, she seems like a human slug that would do anything for profit. On the other hand, the Internet is plagued with morons who lack the balls to say things outside of a computer screen.

I sort of remember that topic on RPG:EE. I'm more interested in who the idiots are that caused kimi to close her account.

« Reply #4527 on: November 14, 2014, 12:48:36 pm »
I utterly loathe Anita Sarkeesian. She is but a roach who cherrypicks footage from games that include scenes with scantily clad women/violence against women, which is mostly, if not ALWAYS used as a plot device, and misconstrues it as "The whole game is like this! Disgusting basement-dwelling MEN get off to this sick perversion, and you're rewarded for it!", even though one example is, I shit you not, killing strippers in Hitman, where you're penalized for it, and makes it more likely to be caught. She's just an outright liar, and she's damaging the industry with her P.C. rubbish. Hell, it's not even political correctness, it's just tumblr-levels of censorship along the lines of "your rights end where my feelings begin". I also love how when she was talking about sexist games, Colbert said "oh yeah, name three" and she couldn't/didn't. She's nothing but a fraud, she's this decade's Jack Thompson.

Thunderf00t's videos on Anita can help clarify the matter, and I implore you to watch some of them. The one about Hitman (it's a laugh) is below.

Also, while discussing Anita Sarkeesian's inconsistencies and practices is okay (since it's just basic logic and comparison, looking at what she says and comparing it to what the game is really like), I will not allow discussions about #gamergate. I'm just getting that out of the way right now, because the whole thing is nothing but conjecture and hearsay among gaming "journalists", a group whom no one has taken seriously since god-knows-when. It's the gaming equivalent of some rumored celebrity scandal (much like how Polygon and Kotaku are tabloids most of the time) and I will not stand for it, not on this site. Just wanted to set that precedence.

foxhack

« Reply #4528 on: November 14, 2014, 01:52:24 pm »
I should just ban all of you for a week.

Yes, you too, exo. :P

....Might have to give up your man card on that one.......

... take a look at my collection. :P

kashell

« Reply #4529 on: November 14, 2014, 02:05:51 pm »
I'm not even sure what Gamergate is and I have never hash-tagged anything in my life.