Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1532185 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5760 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:11 am »
  ???

What games were crushed?

Take your pick. Everything from my Magic Knight Rayearth, to Halley Wars, to Swagman. Any kind of game I order, busted up when I get it. I can't count on not ONE PS1 game case not being completely curb stomped and shattered.

Oh man, I totally understand. I've wanted to smack my mailman for stupid crap before. And complaining to the post office does nothing.

Then maybe I should complain directly to him if I catch him stopping by again. If it comes to that it's not going to be a nice conversation, either. It'll quickly escalate into a conversation about soldering irons and faces if he denies negligence on his part. If it doesn't stop I'm going to start calling every damn day to the post office and recommending his termination. This guy has been destroying my stuff for sooo long and it's done this time. No more putting up.

That's what I did when I lived in Atlanta. Now, before I moved there, I never had any bad experiences with receiving packages in the mail. They all came in perfectly lovely. By the time I got to Atlanta, packages arrived in smashed conditions. The first time I thought it was a fluke. The second time I was mad.

So I left a note in my mailbox. It was firm, caustic, but at the same time it was fair. Since then, they never arrived in bad condition.

I say try that first before resorting to verbal abuse. XD If things don't change after that, then...well...make sure you film him so you can get some footage of his nonsense.

soera

« Reply #5761 on: January 28, 2015, 08:58:16 am »
Everything from my Magic Knight Rayearth

Awww I hate to think of my white whale as destroyed. :( How bad is it?

tpugmire

« Reply #5762 on: January 28, 2015, 09:41:13 am »
  ???

What games were crushed?

Take your pick. Everything from my Magic Knight Rayearth, to Halley Wars, to Swagman. Any kind of game I order, busted up when I get it. I can't count on not ONE PS1 game case not being completely curb stomped and shattered.

Oh man, I totally understand. I've wanted to smack my mailman for stupid crap before. And complaining to the post office does nothing.

Then maybe I should complain directly to him if I catch him stopping by again. If it comes to that it's not going to be a nice conversation, either. It'll quickly escalate into a conversation about soldering irons and faces if he denies negligence on his part. If it doesn't stop I'm going to start calling every damn day to the post office and recommending his termination. This guy has been destroying my stuff for sooo long and it's done this time. No more putting up.

That's what I did when I lived in Atlanta. Now, before I moved there, I never had any bad experiences with receiving packages in the mail. They all came in perfectly lovely. By the time I got to Atlanta, packages arrived in smashed conditions. The first time I thought it was a fluke. The second time I was mad.

So I left a note in my mailbox. It was firm, caustic, but at the same time it was fair. Since then, they never arrived in bad condition.

I say try that first before resorting to verbal abuse. XD If things don't change after that, then...well...make sure you film him so you can get some footage of his nonsense.

It may not be the delivery guys fault. There is a lot of automation to the sorting process. Basically, it only gets handled by human hands when itakes is picked up and when it is delivered. In between, it is all conveyor belts, slides, and other mechanical processes. In my experience 9 out of 10 times, a damaged package is caused by another package. Like if a conveyor belt gets jammed and boxes pile up and get crushed or ripped open. Being a delivery guy who delivers a fair amount of damaged packages that I had nothing to do with, I kinda want to stick up for the guy. Now if you see him throwing stuff, then you have every right to yell at him.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

kashell

« Reply #5763 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:44 am »
That's why I recommend the note. Don't write a tirade, but be firm and let the person know what has been going on.

tpugmire

« Reply #5764 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:37 am »
Personally, since I've been in this exact position before, I'd prefer a face to face chat about why packages are getting damaged. Most people are pretty cool if you are cool to them. If it escalates, and I get threatened or yelled at, I leave and I take the package with me. Now they get to come pick it up themselves. I also would never go back after being threatened. They would have to come pick up every package they get. Basically, don't go threatening people who most likely didn't do anything wrong, it'll only make things worse.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5765 on: January 28, 2015, 12:42:01 pm »
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

desocietas

« Reply #5766 on: January 28, 2015, 01:21:58 pm »
Personally, since I've been in this exact position before, I'd prefer a face to face chat about why packages are getting damaged. Most people are pretty cool if you are cool to them. If it escalates, and I get threatened or yelled at, I leave and I take the package with me. Now they get to come pick it up themselves. I also would never go back after being threatened. They would have to come pick up every package they get. Basically, don't go threatening people who most likely didn't do anything wrong, it'll only make things worse.

I've heard that threatening or providing a hostile environment for a postal worker could also allow them to request that you don't get deliveries at all (for regular letter-sized mail and packages), requiring you to pick them up at the office directly.  Could maybe doing something like  PO Box or asking that all packages be held at the post office work for you?  It may not even been the postal worker that services your area but the whole facility :/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Warmsignal

« Reply #5767 on: January 28, 2015, 06:29:36 pm »
  ???

What games were crushed?

I've got a couple of post offices to visit. I'm just going to tell them that my packages always arrive crushed and maybe they'll consider being more careful. I know how postal workers are with packages, I've seen them treat ones I ship off like footballs right in front of me because they don't want to walk over to the bin. It's a good thing that I always package to survive a nuclear war because I know that's what it takes, and I've never had a single damaged item report, but unfortunately most just stick stuff in a thin bag and mail it off like it's nothing.

Come to think of it, another problem is that most people who ship games don't use first class mail!!! Why?! Everything in first class is less than 13 ounces! It's the cheapest option too.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5768 on: January 29, 2015, 09:23:55 am »
  ???

What games were crushed?

I've got a couple of post offices to visit. I'm just going to tell them that my packages always arrive crushed and maybe they'll consider being more careful. I know how postal workers are with packages, I've seen them treat ones I ship off like footballs right in front of me because they don't want to walk over to the bin. It's a good thing that I always package to survive a nuclear war because I know that's what it takes, and I've never had a single damaged item report, but unfortunately most just stick stuff in a thin bag and mail it off like it's nothing.

Come to think of it, another problem is that most people who ship games don't use first class mail!!! Why?! Everything in first class is less than 13 ounces! It's the cheapest option too.

This I can understand & agree with.

As someone who sends & receives a lot of packages - I can attest to the fact that 99% (of the condition that a package arrives in) is due to/because of how well the person on the shipping end packaged it.

Some people are just cheap & lazy or unprofessional, I guess.

Shit, one-handed, I pack items that never arrive (or, even *could* ever arrive) damaged like that!

(Right, D-Sis?) ;)

So, everyone else should have no trouble doing the same, amirite?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #5769 on: January 29, 2015, 11:42:46 am »
  ???

What games were crushed?

As someone who sends & receives a lot of packages - I can attest to the fact that 99% (of the condition that a package arrives in) is due to/because of how well the person on the shipping end packaged it.

Shit, one-handed, I pack items that never arrive (or, even *could* ever arrive) damaged like that!

(Right, D-Sis?) ;)

Absolutely, you would be amazed at the things I've seen people try to ship in the worst possible packaging.  Nobody seems to realize that retail packaging is no substitute for a shipping box.  People try to ship flat screen tv's in the box that you buy it in, with nothing else.  Those boxes are meant to be shrink wrapped on a pallet and shipped that way, not through a regular shipping company.  In my experience, they have about a 50% chance of making it.  One poor guy I delivered to years ago ordered a toilet from amazon.  I think I delivered like 6 toilets, all broken, before he got one that actually made it intact.  Same thing as the tv's, the box a toilet comes in is not a shipping box.  It's designed to be on a pallet.  Personally, if I'm picking up a package from a customer and I can see it's not going to make it, I tell them before I take it.

kashell

« Reply #5770 on: January 29, 2015, 11:47:45 am »
For those interested in my life, which should be EVERYONE because I am fabulous and glamorous in case you have somehow forgotten, I found a lovely gym to join for only 37/month. There was no sign up fee, no catches, no enhancement fees and it has a nice schedule.

Today I start the routine again. January being almost over means that everyone's resolutions should be null and void.

bobster

« Reply #5771 on: January 29, 2015, 11:50:45 am »
For those interested in my life, which should be EVERYONE because I am fabulous and glamorous in case you have somehow forgotten, I found a lovely gym to join for only 37/month. There was no sign up fee, no catches, no enhancement fees and it has a nice schedule.

Today I start the routine again. January being almost over means that everyone's resolutions should be null and void.
Very cool! I hope you end up liking it that way you can continue being fabulous and glamorous!  :D
Currently Playing: The Witcher

kashell

« Reply #5772 on: January 29, 2015, 12:07:24 pm »
Also, forgot to ask. Anyone get Guilty Gear yet? I'm trying to knockout my "Play 100 player matches" trophy. If anyone wants to play, I'd love to set up a room.

Very cool! I hope you end up liking it that way you can continue being fabulous and glamorous!  :D

Thanks, bobster! I wanted to let you know that I read that article you posted a few weeks ago and I tried the work-out. It was great for the home as a whole, but for other things that I like to do, I needed the proper equipment, space, set-ups, etc.

bobster

« Reply #5773 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:59 pm »
Thanks, bobster! I wanted to let you know that I read that article you posted a few weeks ago and I tried the work-out. It was great for the home as a whole, but for other things that I like to do, I needed the proper equipment, space, set-ups, etc.
No worries! Everyone has their track to follow. You were just asking for ideas and figured I'd share.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

desocietas

« Reply #5774 on: January 29, 2015, 02:05:19 pm »

(Right, D-Sis?) ;)

Haha, it's so true :D

D-bruthah here is a true collector and appreciator of games and the consideration with which he sends out his stuff is obviously how he wishes other people would send stuff to him.  I'm the same way :)

I actually really appreciate it when someone's eBay listing mentions how they intend to ship something.  Sometimes they'll specify that they'll send a particular collector's item in a box (rather than a padded envelope), doing their best to maintain the condition they have it in so that it gets to the purchaser in the same condition.  I'm willing to pay a bit more for that sort of attention (and peace of mind), that's for sure.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas