Author Topic: Was FFIII not ported to PS1?  (Read 16680 times)

Was FFIII not ported to PS1?
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »
I've been looking for PS1 ports of Final Fantasy 1-6 and I've found them for every game except Final Fantasy III. Am I overlooking something or was there never a PS1 port for this game?

scott

Re: Was FFIII not ported to PS1?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
Nope, Final Fantasy III was never released on the PS1. It didn't see a US release until the remake for DS. So the closest you'll get is Origins (I - II), Chronicles (IV), Anthology (V - VI), VII, VIII, IX.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:24:28 pm »
Nope, Final Fantasy III was never released on the PS1. It didn't see a US release until the remake for DS. So the closest you'll get is Origins (I - II), Chronicles (IV), Anthology (V - VI), VII, VIII, IX.

Okay--thanks! Have you ever played Final Fantasy III for the DS?

scott

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:34:25 am »
Ya, I got it when it was first released and played it for a bit. I had a really hard time at the beginning and it seemed, at the time, like it was pretty high on the difficulty scale. But, like most games I have from around then, it was set on the shelf into backlog hell, thanks to a killer WoW addiction and I've not touched it since.

I've been meaning to start it up again, but now it's just a matter of fitting it in with everything else.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:38:24 pm »
You could always get a repro cart and play the game translated into English in its original form :)

... . . .waiting for Foxhack to chime in with "SAVE THE CARTRIDGES!!!!". . . ...

I've played the DS version as well and it's just okay IMO. I'm kind of a traditionalist - old school top down view - sort of guy when it comes to remakes these days.

soera

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:53:03 am »
Yeah the DS version is different from the original. I also agree with Darko on getting the repro. There are a few guys out there who make a CIB repro of FF2 and 3 both for the NES. Once I get some money and start buying games again, Im going to be collecting repros like these 2, Destiny of an Emperor 2, Ys IV, etc. :)

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:44:45 pm »
... . . .waiting for Foxhack to chime in with "SAVE THE CARTRIDGES!!!!". . . ...

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CARTRIDGES!

Also: Flash carts. Better investment. :P

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 05:04:50 am »
You can actually get a pretty close experience to playing FFIII on Playstation with a modchipped PS1 or use of a swap disc like the PS X-Change 2. There is this program called It Might Be NES where you can burn a disc with NES roms and that emulator then run it on the playstation. Games can be saved to memory card and everything. It is the closest experience you can get to playing FFIII with a Playstation controller like all the rest.

Be warned the final dungeon of the game is very long and also hard, but don't let that stop you from enjoying the bulk of the game.