Author Topic: November 2012 - Recently Added To Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 21985 times)

jobocan

Re: November 2012 - Recently Added To Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2012, 03:30:12 pm »
Final Fantasy IV Advance is the only Final Fantasy game I have ever played.  Sold it a long time ago though.  I don't know why I bought it because I did not even know what an RPG was back then and ended up not liking it...

That's exactly like me!... almost. For me it was FF2 on the SNES (AKA the same game), and Super Mario RPG... I rented both at the same time, and had no idea what was going on so I brought them back to the rental store and got other games instead. I got into RPGs later on, but at first I didn't understand the idea of choosing options in menu to kill stuff. At one point one of my neighbors showed me FF1 on NES and taught me how it all worked and that's how I got into it.

Oh, and just got Geist on Gamecube and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath on Xbox.

darko

« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »
Might sound ridiculous, but I tell everyone I know who wants to try out an RPG for the first time to play through Super Mario RPG. It's the first one I played and the one that got me into the genre. It's not very difficult (as far as RPGs go), it's not too long, and it doesn't have a complicated battle/control scheme. Paper Mario is another good option for a first RPG run as it's Super Mario RPG 2.

foxhack

« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2012, 04:37:07 pm »
Might sound ridiculous, but I tell everyone I know who wants to try out an RPG for the first time to play through Super Mario RPG. It's the first one I played and the one that got me into the genre. It's not very difficult (as far as RPGs go), it's not too long, and it doesn't have a complicated battle/control scheme. Paper Mario is another good option for a first RPG run as it's Super Mario RPG 2.
I would personally suggest Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That was my first RPG, and was literally created as an introduction to the genre.

So anyway. Today was one of the best days I've had in a while, and the best part is, I didn't have to deal with stupid customs on the way back.

Street Fighter Alpha longbox (complete)
Wallace & Gromit DVD game - $1.50
Singstar SingStore Volume 2 + Singstar (damaged disc) - $1.50
Three European PS2 demo discs - $1
Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix - $1
Ten Pin Alley (Greatest Hits) - $1
Wheel of Fortune (Greatest Hits) - $1
Random Chinese SNES rom CD-R disc - $1

That Longbox Street Fighter Alpha... the disc has circular scratches. :( But I guess I can still trade it away. Hint hint. :p

I've been looking for Disney Mix for the past six years.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:45:54 pm by foxhack »

scott

« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2012, 05:02:31 pm »
I agree with Foxhack on Mystic Quest. I actually like the game too. And for the record, my 1st RPG experience was Dragon Warrior on NES. :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

atariboy

« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
Nice find @foxhack on the Dance Dance Revolution Disney mix game.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

soera

« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:20 pm »
I found something on Ebay. After looking at it and deciding I wanted it, I realized the guy was local. We talked and I bought it. I went and picked it up today. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Dragon-Quest-VII-Poster-PS1-Warrior-7-Square-Enix-VII-/221156155709?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=pFBIjpHsDfRuBqTy1dH8gIjJL88%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The material it is made of feels like the stuff they make banners with so its pretty sturdy. Its pretty large too! He told me a friend of his picked up from a store in Japan that had it hanging on the wall to advertise the game. Im pretty happy with the item. I just need to find a spot to hang it now!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:29:31 pm by soera »

scott

« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:29 pm »
That's a pretty sweet poster!

jobocan

« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2012, 10:09:35 pm »
I just need to find a spot to hang it now!

May I suggest "in my room"?

« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:59 am »
I can't remember what I last mentioned, so I apologise if some of these are repeats -

(All Japanese)
Sin & Punishment (N64)
Shining Force III Premium Disc (Saturn)
Chaos Seed (Saturn - first print w/bonus disc)
Super Metroid (SFC)
Koumajou Densetsu 2 OST
Densha de GO! 2 (NGPC)
Harukaze Sentai V Force (Saturn)
Panzer Dragoon Saga OST (the 18 track one w/playable demo)

Edit:

Knew I'd forgotten something!

Ougon Musoukyoku (PC)
Sonic the Fighters (XBLA)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn)
Virus (Saturn)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:25:32 am by kimimi »

desocietas

« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2012, 11:24:09 am »

Nice!  I wonder if we'll ever see it on our American 3DSes... :'(
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2012, 02:08:38 pm »
Mainly, because I saw a "trilogy" for sale @ ~$100 (sealed) and a "quadrilogy" for sale @ ~$120 (sealed).

Either way (meaning even if these 2 sets are not sealed)...are these prices anything special?

Not sure about the trilogy, and as Scott said about the special edition of the first volume, the value can vary.

I'd check if the quad set is sealed or not.  But for comparison, I probably paid ~$100 for used, and it was pain to get them all and make sure they had manuals/supplemental discs (and not all of them are in mint condition).  $120 would be good for convenience & condition (sealed also would make for great resale numbers).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2012, 02:23:01 pm »
I can't remember what I last mentioned, so I apologise if some of these are repeats -

(All Japanese)
Sin & Punishment (N64)
Shining Force III Premium Disc (Saturn)
Chaos Seed (Saturn - first print w/bonus disc)
Super Metroid (SFC)
Koumajou Densetsu 2 OST
Densha de GO! 2 (NGPC)
Harukaze Sentai V Force (Saturn)
Panzer Dragoon Saga OST (the 18 track one w/playable demo)

Edit:

Knew I'd forgotten something!

Ougon Musoukyoku (PC)
Sonic the Fighters (XBLA)
Virus (Saturn)

You're collection really makes me wish I had the time to learn Japanese!

« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2012, 02:42:44 pm »
Just do a little bit at a time and you can get there :)

scott

« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »
I was catching on fairly well while playing Jump Super Stars a few years back. Thanks to a translation guide. But now I look at it and can't remember crap.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese speech and reading. Any suggestions on where to start for a self learner?

« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2012, 03:02:31 pm »
Find a system that works best for you - study books and flashcards bore the heck out of me, I retain words best by seeing them in context (such as translating a menu in a game, or a word written in a manga) so I learn by translating things as I come across them (not line-for-line though, that's beyond dull). Try out a few methods and see which one you find the most enjoyable :)

Oh one more important thing - be realistic! These things take time, and most people don't know every word in their native language, let alone another - not knowing every word you come across, or forgetting a word you used to know is *normal*; just keep at it and you'll improve.