Author Topic: First VGA Submission: Doom 64 (85+) !  (Read 6271 times)

zombi

First VGA Submission: Doom 64 (85+) !
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:11:39 pm »
Just received my first submission back from the VGA.

Not too shabby...

Doom 64

85+

darko

Re: First VGA Submission: Doom 64 (85+) !
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:51:30 pm »
Congrats. I'm not really into graded games but it does look excellent!

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:29:44 pm »
I still don't get it.

zombi

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »
Retro games that are factory-sealed that are in near-mint to mint condition are becoming increasingly rare. Just like with any sealed collectible (i.e. comics, toys, cards, etc.), there are many factors that can cause their condition to degrade over time. Even storing it in a box or on a shelf are enough to do it.

The grading service provides a reliable way to verify it's true condition and also preserve it in a way that makes it perfectly suitable for display. I personally like collecting sealed games for the nostalgia of having my favorite games from my childhood in the condition they were when I first bought them. Seeing as how Doom 64 is one of my favorite games, I think it's worth it to have it preserved in this way so that it stays in the near-perfect condition it is now.

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:11 pm »
I'm with jcalder here, I also don't get it. I mean, I get the whole concept of grading, I know what it IS, but I don't know why people do it.

I'm the type to think that games are meant to be played, grading them and putting them in these plastic cases you can't open seems like such a waste to me. Heck, I don't even get why people collect factory-sealed games at all, graded or not, it seems so pointless.

If I ever get rich, my hobby will be to buy literal truckloads of super rare sealed retro games (and graded games), make youtube videos for each and every one of them where I open and play them, and then resell the games for a fraction of the price... just for the lulz :P

zombi

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 11:09:21 pm »
Meh. To each his own.

Most of the games that I own (or have a desire) to own in the factory-sealed condition, are pretty inexpensive carts. I typically try to own a sealed copy and a loose copy so I can actually play it.

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »
Nothing will ever be a 100 to them. Nothing.

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:43:31 pm »
For me I don't understand it mainly because you have no idea what is actually in the box. When you look at cards, comics, stamps, coins, action figures etc... you can see what is being graded. In terms of the Doom 64 who says there is actually a manual in there? What if the wrong label was put on the cart? What if the wrong game were to play when the cartridge was inserted? The only thing that is graded is the plastic.

Nothing will ever be a 100 to them. Nothing.
I bet one of their own games will be

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 12:02:11 am »
I'm sorry for being a jerk, zombi.

I know you're new and I should be welcoming you, not attacking you. :(

scott

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:46 am »
Ah graded games. I guess you can say we officially know what the main hot button issue is around here. Congrats on the game, personally I don't get it either, but I also get the idea of owning 2 copies. That's how I have my Castlevania collection set up, 1 set of loose for playing and one set of CIB in box protectors for viewing.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

zombi

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:25:50 am »
I'm sorry for being a jerk, zombi.

I know you're new and I should be welcoming you, not attacking you. :(

Hehe. It's ok. Everyone's got an opinion.

Ah graded games. I guess you can say we officially know what the main hot button issue is around here. Congrats on the game, personally I don't get it either, but I also get the idea of owning 2 copies. That's how I have my Castlevania collection set up, 1 set of loose for playing and one set of CIB in box protectors for viewing.

There we go. Someone that get's it. The main purpose is for display and preserving the condition. I always have a spare on hand to play whenever I want.

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:16 am »
How much is it to get the games graded? I`ve always wondered that.

zombi

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:59:43 am »
How much is it to get the games graded? I`ve always wondered that.

I spent close to $100, but that was because I wanted a "rush" turnaround on it and because I paid for optional extras because it was my first time. Now I know what is and is not worth the extra money. Typically, it's anywhere from $25-60.

soera

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 02:13:23 pm »
Ive thought about getting some of my sealed games graded. A couple of them would be only graded for silly sakes (I have a sealed mega man PC game thats in fairly rough condition and I would just want to see the grade) and then my Dragon Warrior stuff would look a little more interesting with the sealed case.

darko

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »
Now that I've said that I don't really get into VGA stuff, would it be worth it to get a copy of FFVI GBA graded? I'll never open it anyway :)

I highly doubt it would get rated at less than an 85, probably a 90.