Author Topic: Why no "Mac" category?  (Read 2912 times)

Re: Why no "Mac" category?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 09:32:34 am »
It would be nice if there will be a "Mac" category. I have some Mac games which I'd like to add to the database.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:34:12 am by mastafafik »

scott

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 08:50:36 am »
Apple Macintosh Classic (1984-2000)
Apple Mac OS X (PowerPC) (2001-2007)
Apple Mac OS X (Intel) (2007-Present)

Ok, so I finally got these added to the database. I only added the [NA] categories, mainly because I don't know jack diddly about Macs, but if anyway needs [EU]/[JP]/etc added let me know.

Sorry for the delay.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 12:05:36 am »
For nextgen and such, I am debating on just going mac gaming. Browsing the categories, it needs entries of course. This brings me to a question on what is good for it and what is not.

Basically, do we only consider physical releases? For example, vvvvvv can be purchased outside of steam. So, it does not really fit there. But it is not a physical release. Does it get put into the regular mac intel section? Or is that reserved just for games with physical releases such as StarCraft 2?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 01:08:10 am »
For nextgen and such, I am debating on just going mac gaming. Browsing the categories, it needs entries of course. This brings me to a question on what is good for it and what is not.

Basically, do we only consider physical releases? For example, vvvvvv can be purchased outside of steam. So, it does not really fit there. But it is not a physical release. Does it get put into the regular mac intel section? Or is that reserved just for games with physical releases such as StarCraft 2?
Have fun paying $40 more than we Windows users. Seriously, those dev teams that port games to Mac are scam artists, extortioners of the highest degree.

Mac Intel is for anything that works on an Intel Mac. If you wish, add "Digital" to the name, at least until (if) we get a proper Mac download category.

sin2beta

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 01:34:35 am »

Have fun paying $40 more than we Windows users. Seriously, those dev teams that port games to Mac are scam artists, extortioners of the highest degree.

Mac Intel is for anything that works on an Intel Mac. If you wish, add "Digital" to the name, at least until (if) we get a proper Mac download category.

It might cost more, but at least I get to keep my soul.  ;D Plus, I'll rep San Francisco over Seattle any day.

Mac games usually cost a LOT more. At least they did before steam and the app store took over. To be honest, I have not seen a physical mac released game in a long time (excluding Blizzard). But steam and the app store seem to have leveled prices out a bit more in recent years. But back in 2008... my god. Plus, using cider to port games sucked. That's just a bad era.

foxhack

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 01:30:03 pm »

It might cost more, but at least I get to keep my soul.  ;D Plus, I'll rep San Francisco over Seattle any day.

Mac games usually cost a LOT more. At least they did before steam and the app store took over. To be honest, I have not seen a physical mac released game in a long time (excluding Blizzard). But steam and the app store seem to have leveled prices out a bit more in recent years. But back in 2008... my god. Plus, using cider to port games sucked. That's just a bad era.
Many companies are -still- using Cider to "port" these games to Mac.

Also, if you want to keep your soul, build a Linux machine. Or get a C64. :P

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 06:18:12 pm »

Many companies are -still- using Cider to "port" these games to Mac.

Also, if you want to keep your soul, build a Linux machine. Or get a C64. :P

I DO have a C64.  ;D First console I ever gamed on. I just don't collect for it so I don't list it.

And boy would I ever like to go solely Linux. There just is not a sufficiently good audio program for it. My Mac machine is basically GNU programs plus Logic, Safari, and iTunes.

But I will admit to being an Apple fanboy. Specifically after the merge with NeXT computers. But I also have fond memories of the Apple 2. They hooked me as a kid.