Author Topic: How did you choose between PS2 and Xbox (or PS3 and 360)?  (Read 4095 times)

How did you choose between PS2 and Xbox (or PS3 and 360)?
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
I don't know a lot of people who own both Sony and Microsoft consoles. For me, the PS1 came out first so when PS2 and Xbox were released, I stuck with Sony--then the PS3 and Xbox 360 arrived and I also continued with the Sony brand.

There were very few games I wanted that were exclusive to Xbox/Xbox 360 and I really had no complaints about my Playstation consoles. I did have an N64 though (Mario!) and I also bought a Wii (for family/party games).

Do you own consoles from both Sony and Microsoft? When a new console was released, how did you decide which one to get?

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: How did you choose between PS2 and Xbox (or PS3 and 360)?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »
Because I was hated the Playstation, I went with the Xbox.  I hated the playstation because I was still an Nintendo Fanboy and saw the Playstation as the competition for the N64.  Sony was (and still is) evil.

darko

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:00:26 pm »
I went with the PS2 because I won it at a party right after it was released. I really enjoyed it, but I bought the 360 to play online with some friends. They all had 360s so that's what I went with. I have all 4 of the consoles, but the PS2 and the 360 get 99% of the playtime versus the other 2.

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »
PS2: Because I already had a Dreamcast and it was dead, I wanted something backwards compatible with the PS1, and didn't want anything to do with Nintendo home consoles after the N64 (at the time).

soera

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »
Playstation has been my favorite for years. I actually do have all the systems but the Xbox/360 hardly have any games that appeal to me (D&D and Morrowind are the exception). Xbox systems are known for problems and mine were no different. Our 360 doesnt even work at this time and only 1 of the 2 Xbox systems still work. The playstation always has the greatest available game line up and the best set of controllers ever! :D

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »
My brother convinced our parents to get us the PS2 when we were younger, and I'm glad he did.  While my friends had the Xbox, I just didn't see the appeal of any of the Xbox-exclusive games.  PS2 still stands as my favorite console.

When I moved out and into an apartment with two gamers, one owned the Wii and PS3 while the other owned the 360.  I was surprised to find that I preferred the available games for the 360, so when they both moved out, I got a 360.

But now it seems like the games for the 360 have tapered off (and less friends are playing their 360s [usually due to the consoles breaking]) and the PS3 is still living (kinda) large and I'm missing out on titles like Journey.

Tempted to get a PS3 now, but I think I can wait until more news comes out about the next gen of systems...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29:16 pm »
I chose the Gamecube! HA!
Later on I got a PS2, because I wanted to play... FFX-2? What? Well, quickly enough I got games that were actually good. During that generation I didn't like the idea of Microsoft joining the console market. Actually, I still have no idea what they're doing in it :P

I never bought an original Xbox until this year. Now that I have an Xbox I kinda wish I hadn't completely ignored it, it actually has some cool stuff.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:54 pm »
IMO, the Gamecube is the most fun now.  It has more games on it that I like to play now.  In fact, my Wii has more Gamecube games played on it than Wii games.

scott

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:38:59 pm »
I was a super Nintendo fan up until the PS1/N64/Saturn era. Then I jumped ship to Sega for the Saturn, but also had the N64 and the PS1 eventually. When the PS2 came out I hopped on to that first and picked up Tekken Tag, Klonoa 2 and The Bouncer off the bat. It wasn't til a while later that I picked up a Xbox to play online with friends. I'd say the PS2 is still one of my favorite consoles ever and if I didn't have my PS3, it would still be hooked up for gaming.

Funny enough, when the 360 came out, I jumped ship again and got a 360 first. I didn't like the price point of the PS3 and none of the original games for it did anything for me. I mainly stayed with the 360 for multiplayer w/ friends, but now I rarely play online too. But my 360 collection is sitting at 66 physical games and 69 digital games, while my PS3 is at 6 Physical and 2 Digital. Thats quite the reversal, when you consider that I have 79 PS2 games and only 15 Xbox. :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 12:15:36 am »
I first picked the Dreamcast! Then after the Dreamcast support ended(which a blamed mostly on Sony) I went to the Xbox because of the hard drive and online. I eventually picked up a PS2 but that wasn't until after I bought a 360 since it was partially backwards compatible.

madmax

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 01:48:56 am »
PS2: I bought Final Fantasy 10 and I knew I wanted to get the older games too.

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 04:05:48 am »
I bought the PS2 when it launched only because I really liked my Playstation.  Microsoft also wasn't part of the picture in the beginning.  When the Xbox finally did drop I really didn't care too much for it.  Only now do I realize that it had some really good games on it.  I own it now but back then I wouldn't even bother. 

This generation on the other hand.  I didn't purchase either.  I bought my 360 from a friend second hand with a bad drive.  So I handed him $50, fixed it and have been happy ever since.  I still plan on buying a PS3.  I have a few games already.  In all honesty both systems have games that I want to play.

As far a deciding what to get when new consoles drop, it all depends on the games.  With what the Wii U has to offer at the moment I know I won't be buying one of those for a while.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 10:23:14 am »
I chose the Dreamcast! Between the xbox and Playstation 2... I chose the playstation 2 because it had backwards compatibility. Also for some irrational reason I have never wanted or owned an Xbox console. I guess one of the reasons for not getting one is because of space problems with the thing. It is huge.

ko1ru

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 10:28:48 am »
I bought the PS2 shortly after launch because I loved the PlayStation.  I always had an aversion to Microsoft, especially when they announced the Xbox.  I stuck with my PS2 for the longest time (it's still my favourite console and game library) and refused to get a 360 (or PS3) when it launched.  My boyfriend had gotten a 360 for cheap from a friend several years ago, knowing full-well I had zero interest in it, but he wrangled me into developing an interest for it when he bought me Oblivion and Fable.  His sneaky plan worked, and I was hooked.  :P

We bought an original Xbox a year or two later and got a few games for it as well.  I now play mostly on the 360, even though the PS2 is still hooked up and gets attention from time to time.

I never really had a desire to get a PS3 after having the 360, but I'd like to get one when the next gen is available and the price drops significantly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:30:32 am by ko1ru »

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »
Well, I actually stuck with Sega genesis all through the PS1 era (First video game console, and for some reason couldn't move on) When the playstation 2 was out, my step dad bought a PS1 so I played that frequently but went right back to my genesis. Two years later, right after they dropped out of the market, I bought a Sega Dreamcast, not realizing that they were no longer supported, later selling for a Gamecube. Two years later, sold that for a PS2 (PS3 were already out) and next year a Wii...

Moral of my story. I'm a generation behind  ::)