Author Topic: What is your irrational gaming fear?  (Read 2774 times)

donovon

What is your irrational gaming fear?
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »
For some odd reason I'm terrified of underwater creatures.  I was replaying Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire last night and I completely forgot about this horrible, horrible boss.

I don't know why I have such a problem with it.

jcalder8

Re: What is your irrational gaming fear?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:01 pm »
My biggest fear is that some day the copy of the game that I opened would have been the last sealed copy if I hadn't opened it.

In terms of playing a game I hate any area that I can run out of air!

donovon

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:25:05 pm »
My biggest fear is that some day the copy of the game that I opened would have been the last sealed copy if I hadn't opened it.

Is it because you don't like feeling timed?

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »
I hate underwater levels no matter what, not only do I suck at 2D underwater levels but 3d style water levels freak me out

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:18:41 am »

It's even more than just being timed it's the fact that you die all because you turned left when you should have turned right!

scott

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:48:35 am »

It's even more than just being timed it's the fact that you die all because you turned left when you should have turned right!

You must straight up hate Mr Driller then, ha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

madmax

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 01:48:11 am »
+1 for underwater levels that have a short oxygen supply. Sonic on the Sega Gamegear comes to mind.

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:26:17 am »
I actually have a phobia of heights.  It kind of carries over to games some what.  The best example of this is Super Mario 64.   The third Bowser level that has you run pretty much at a steep angle up and around.  Every time I'm always like" Oh crap, Oh crap, crap, crap, crap, wheew.
1:15-1:30 of this video will illustrate what I'm talking about.

scott

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:58:35 am »
Ya I have a problem with extreme height too. Sometimes I get some serious vertigo when playing Crackdown and jumping from building to building. But that the same time I'm going "This is awesome!"

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:04:47 am »
I have a feel of not being great ... but then I play and realize my fear is unwarranted ... cause I am great!  8)

ko1ru

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 11:10:37 am »
I can sympathize with the heights thing.  I know when I'm building something extremely tall in Minecraft -- even though I'm crouching and the possibility of falling is pretty much nonexistent -- I still get a bit of a sickly feeling in my gut.  :P

blipcs76

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 02:23:15 pm »
My wife screams when I fall from a tall ledge or building in 3D platforming games.  Falling off freaks her out.

My irrational fear is that games on a physical format will soon be history.  I cringe at the thought of a digital-only marketplace, where our collections will fill a hard drive rather than shelves in our game rooms.  The thing is, it's not really irrational, since it's coming.  The next-gen XBox/PS systems will most likely push downloads over disc purchases; some used games are already being gimped if you try to play them online.  The newest iMac doesn't have a disc drive.  Mobile devices are pushing digital-only games like Angry Birds and crowding out the 3DS and Vita.

The day I can no longer walk into Best Buy and buy a physical game is the day I'm no longer a modern gamer.  On that day, I'll revert to the thousands of games on cart and disc that I have yet to play.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 08:18:47 pm »
My wife screams when I fall from a tall ledge or building in 3D platforming games.  Falling off freaks her out.

My irrational fear is that games on a physical format will soon be history.  I cringe at the thought of a digital-only marketplace, where our collections will fill a hard drive rather than shelves in our game rooms.  The thing is, it's not really irrational, since it's coming.  The next-gen XBox/PS systems will most likely push downloads over disc purchases; some used games are already being gimped if you try to play them online.  The newest iMac doesn't have a disc drive.  Mobile devices are pushing digital-only games like Angry Birds and crowding out the 3DS and Vita.

The day I can no longer walk into Best Buy and buy a physical game is the day I'm no longer a modern gamer.  On that day, I'll revert to the thousands of games on cart and disc that I have yet to play.

I agree with the fully digital. while digital is nice for small developers I like to be able to hold an actual game in my hands

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 12:35:06 am »
Drowning in games suck, I blame Sonic 2 for that.  That drowning music is the thing of nightmares.

Other than that, the dark and getting lost.  Getting lost in general is one for me, I need maps.  But add in the dark and I become paranoid.

lordmeatpie

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 12:53:53 am »
The 2 things that make me tense in video games are Underwater / Sharks, and Heights.
Good examples, that bastard shark in Banjo Kazooie. that was awful. Also, in Crackdown and Borderlands 2, the super high areas. Retarded.
Now Playing: Borderlands 2 (PS3) / Crystalis (NES)

https://www.facebook.com/lordmeatpiegrind
The Obnoxious Canadian Acoustic Grinder