Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 38152 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: The Comic Book Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2016, 01:56:24 pm »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/22/498981016/reports-at-t-will-buy-time-warner-for-more-than-80-billion

So now that AT&T owns Warner Bros., that means they also own DC Comics.

Do you think DC Comics will turn into what Marvel has since Disney bought them out? Will we lose the traditional comic universe we've always loved for a more modernized universe, like Marvel has done?

I certainly hope not. Disney buying Marvel may have been great for the movies, but not for the comics. The comics have gone downhill for a while at Marvel (though I admit, that very recently, Marvel seems to be making a bit of a comeback).

What do you guys think about it?

doafan

« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2016, 12:09:27 pm »
Kinda interesting and funny what you say cause from a while ago I don't refer this companies by their real names, I now know them as the Walt Disney Company and the Warner Bros Company also it appears that am not the only one that thinks the same way, just take a look at some of those threads that 4chan has at their Win-O' Threads anyway Marvel comics is doing maybe not an awesome returning but they sure are doing a nice comeback, have been reading a couple of their latest releases even when I have access to all of their comics and without a doubt Amazing Spider-Man - Renew Your Vows and The Clone Conspiracy took my full attention  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2016, 08:51:58 pm »
***MARVEL SPOILERS AHEAD***

I'm really not liking Marvel. I swear they're intent on killing off all of their classic characters.

Wolverine, Jean Grey, and Professor Xavier have already been killed off. And Thor, hasn't actually been the God of Thunder for a while, now. Jane Foster is.

Now, in Civil War II, they've killed off Hulk and Iron Man. And at the same time, over in Inhumans vs. X-Men, they killed Cyclops. Also at the same time, the Venom Symbiote has attached to some character we've never even heard of before (this is after Flash Thompson, even).

I understand that they're trying to bring a younger audience, and add some diversity to the Marvel Universe. I have no problem with that. Marvel has always been more diverse than most comic companies. They've always had strong roles for women, black, and Asian characters. What I don't like, is doing it at the expense of their well-established characters. Why in the hell kill off your biggest money-makers and alienate you're already established fanbase?! Marvel used to be able to both create new characters, and keep their mainstream characters going.

I swear, they had better leave Peter Parker alone!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:56:06 pm by burningdoom »

doafan

« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2017, 10:57:48 am »
I swear, they had better leave Peter Parker alone!

He is still alive and now we have Ben Reilly which by the way is my favorite Spider-Man back  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2017, 02:45:56 pm »
edited.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:03:18 pm by fazerco »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »
R.I.P. Bernie Wrightson

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2017, 01:31:33 pm »
The Dutch translated marvel comics arent anymore. They didnt't sell well so after 8 to 11 comics its over.

« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »
So question about rules and such...  I have a bunch of comics im looking to sell. but I'd totally be open to trading for games. The markplace rules say its ok to post nongame items as long as its with game related items.... Im not really looking to sell any games, but totally open to trading comics for games... do you think it would be ok to post it there, or is there another place here that would be better suited?

soera

« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2017, 04:47:22 pm »
I personally dont mind seeing occasional other items available.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2017, 04:52:52 pm »

Best comic news of the day...year!

Hell yes! Bring back the real Marvel!

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/ike-perlmutter-no-longer-marvel-ceo-hallelujah

pzeke

« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2017, 07:58:18 pm »
Quote from: cosmicbooknews
In addition, Ike Perlmutter is said to have demanded the removal of the characters from games and merchandise.

This I didn't know. Perhaps now we'll get some X-Men characters in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite...if only as DLC... Maybe.

Anyway, I don't read/collect comics anymore, but do try to keep updated as much as possible, and Marvel was really going down the crapper (not like DC is doing any better, honestly).

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:42 am »
Quote from: cosmicbooknews
In addition, Ike Perlmutter is said to have demanded the removal of the characters from games and merchandise.

This I didn't know. Perhaps now we'll get some X-Men characters in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite...if only as DLC... Maybe.

Anyway, I don't read/collect comics anymore, but do try to keep updated as much as possible, and Marvel was really going down the crapper (not like DC is doing any better, honestly).

DC is doing leaps and bounds better. A few years back, when New 52 was happening, I was pretty much done with DC. But since Rebirth, they're books have been stellar and it feels like the real DC Universe again.

pzeke

« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2017, 05:25:06 pm »
DC is doing leaps and bounds better. A few years back, when New 52 was happening, I was pretty much done with DC. But since Rebirth, they're books have been stellar and it feels like the real DC Universe again.

Yeah, that's what I actually meant with that comment. I actually forgot that that ended a year ago, IIRC. My mistake for not being more specific.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »

Best comic news of the day...year!

Hell yes! Bring back the real Marvel!

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/ike-perlmutter-no-longer-marvel-ceo-hallelujah

Ummm...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/18/no-marvel-chairman-ike-perlmutter-didnt-just-step-change-title/

I haven't been much of a Marvel guy in years...well, decades actually, but I'm not opposed to them stiffing studios like Fox and Sony of new content to use in the hopes that rights revert back to them. Same with Universal. At least Sony had the good sense to restructure things and put Spider-Man into the MCU. I seriously doubt Fox will do anything except run their licensed properties into the ground like they did with the FF. Granted the DC Cinematic Universe doesn't look much better IMO (not counting the Dark Knight Trilogy and Wonder Woman, everything else looks horribad). What I can't fathom is how Fox, Sony or whoever can say anything about characters like Wolverine being put in games or including him in toy lines? If I were Marvel I'd be like "piss off, we'll make as many Wolverine toys as we want".  :P

As long as Fiege, Gunn, and the Russos don't get too crazy with their liberties then the MCU should be just fine for the next few years. Again, I've not been much of a Marvel guy for a good long time comics wise but I love Love LOVE the MCU and what they've done with it for the most part. As for the comics side, the last thing I picked up from Marvel was Secret Wars (just the main series, none of the tie-ins). I'll probably pick up that Legacies or whatever it's called but probably none of the tie-ins.

Also, in regards to that, I noticed they've gone back to legacy numbering again?! I guess high numbers are cool again for Marvel since DC restored Action and Detective's numbering (though those New 52 issues should NOT have counted towards the totals!  >:(). Action #1000 is just over the horizon with Detective not too far behind so I guess Marvel had to copycat that because I saw that Amazing Spider-Man is fast approaching #800.  :P

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2017, 04:23:40 am »

Don't read many comics these days, but came across an interesting sounding book which is just a short 6 issue series from the guy who did Saga and Y: The Last Man.  I generally dug it, I like this fictional setting of America invading Canada and set in the future so there is some cool tech.  It's short so I don't want to spoil anything, but it's got pretty good art, violent, and its very Canadian.  One of the characters speaks in French most of the time so you don't understand what he is saying and they don't translate it in a sidebar lol

I'd love for them to return to this world as it has interesting possibilities beyond it's Canadian setting.