Author Topic: Style points  (Read 2209 times)

Style points
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:11:58 pm »
(i) In the style guide it says that we should list a country of origin after the console (e.g., Nintendo DS - Red [JP]), but if we are already under Hardware [JP], then that seems redundant.

(ii) Should this method also be applied to games? For example, should we change

Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time (Gray Cartridge)
Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time (Gold Cartridge)

to

Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time - Gray
Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time - Gold?

If that is more consistent, then do we change

Legend of Zelda, The (Gold Cartridge - 3 Screw Cartridge)

to

Legend of Zelda, The - Gold (3 Screw)?

(iii) What's the guideline if a game has different variations as far as what's included? For example: Mario Party 6 [with Microphone]. I'm wondering if we should use parentheses, a dash, brackets, the word 'with', etc.. (Although for this example, I'm not sure if Mario Party 6 was released without the microphone. So, we might not need to distinguish between the two.)

It's all in the details....

Re: Style points
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:34:59 pm »
For point (i), this makes sense for accessories, where everything is grouped together rather then separated by region. (Maybe we should combine accessories with hardware? I suppose a carrying case is not hardware.)

scott

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »
Sorry it took so long to get a reply to this, I read your post just as I was leaving work, then had a ton of stuff going on around the house. Hopefully this will help clear things up, and I may need to go though and rework the style guide again. Keep in mind we are still in "beta mode", so we can always tweak things to help them make more sense. And I'm all about having a guide that is easy to understand and follow.

(i) We are actually working on re-working the entire hardware and accessories sections, they've both been a total pile of poo from the get-go. And honestly we've never been happy with the way they are set up. Originally all hardware was also glommed into one giant listing, with all regions listed together, which is why I had the style guide listing regions in the titles. Hopefully we can get this straightened out asap.

(ii) Parenthesis "( )" are supposed to denote variations. So if a NES game was released with both a 5 screw cart or a 3 screw cart, it would be listed something like Burgertime (3 Screw Cartridge) or Burgertime (5 Screw Cartridge), or if a game has variant cart or disc labeling, like a lot of Atari games... such as Adventure (Sears Picture Label) and Adventure (Sears Text Label). Of course Atari games can have up to 5 or so variations, which means a separate listing for each one. The NES The Legend of Zelda games have 3 variations, one Legend of Zelda, The (Gold Cartridge - 5 Screw Cartridge), One Legend of Zelda, The (Gold Cartridge - 3 Screw Cartridge) and a re-release Legend of Zelda, The - Classics Series (Grey Cartridge) we listed the Gray cart as a variation, because the label on the NES cart itself doesn't say "Classics Series" anywhere on it.

The Dash "-" is meant to show special releases, such as limited or collector's editions, greatest hits/ player's choice and any other special release or compliation. So They would look like: Bioshock - Platinum Hits, Devil May Cry - 5th Anniversary Collection, Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition, Fallout: New Vegas - Collector's Edition, Super Smash Bros. - Player's Choice.  Of course, I suppose if a game is a special release with variations it would look something like this. Chrono Cross - Greatest Hits or Chrono Cross - Greatest Hits (Silver Backed Disc)

(iii)It's prolly a good idea to stay away from the word "with" and replace it with "bundle", since most of the time that's what all the game companies call them. Also, I would list these like other special or limited edition releases. Like how Goldeneye 007 for Wii comes either bundled with the Wii's Classic Controller Pro or alone. So we have Goldeneye 007 and Goldeneye 007 - Gold Classic Controller Pro Bundle, or How Guitar Hero II comes either with or withour the guitar controller, Guitar Hero II - Guitar Bundle or alone Guitar Hero II. Of course I think every copy of Animal Crossing for  GameCube came bundled with a memory card, so it that case, just mention it in the Description field as a pack-in.

I hope this helps out, feel free to ask any other questions. Like I said I want to hammer out a Style Guide that is easy to follow and understand. :)

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:01:42 pm »
Thanks for the quick, detailed reply. All of these work very well. Initially, I wasn't sure if I liked 'cartridge' listed twice, but I think it's good. That definitely covers all of my current concerns.

Keep up the good work with the style guide!

scott

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:22:46 pm »
Thanks! Glad to help anytime.

scott

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:39:51 am »
I updated the style guide with some of this info.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »
(iv) What about something like this: Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - Firestorm. Basically, when there is two subtitles what's your preference. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - Firestorm (Guitar Bundle)?

scott

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »
It should be entered as Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun: Firestorm.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »
ohhh, it's not going to be fun making everything consistent in the future....

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »
(v) How about Disney games? Should we include "Disney's" before the title? Here are some examples:

http://vgcollect.com/item/5805
http://vgcollect.com/item/5808
http://vgcollect.com/item/5812

http://vgcollect.com/item/11988
http://vgcollect.com/item/10525

Ooo that's a good question.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

madmax

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 06:38:19 pm »
I was actually wondering about Disney games myself. I think I included them myself.

scott

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 07:03:50 pm »
I've been including them, since the labels do say "Disney's yada yada" but I've always been unsure about them. I'm going to look into how others list them.

scott

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 12:00:00 am »
Looks like everyone does something different. $10 says most people that search for a game, only type in the name of the game and omit the "disney's" "disney/pixar's" anyway. So lets just go with Lion King, The, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, The, etc etc.