Author Topic: 6 random suggestions suggestions  (Read 4625 times)

6 random suggestions suggestions
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:27:57 am »
1. printable covers for people who are missing the covers?
2. in the edit section how about a part for top score. that way we call all input out top scores and have a top ten on the main page for that game.
3. forums on the APP.
4. barcode scanning.
5. a main page button in the forums to take us back to the collection
6. i noticed that some games had values if we can do this to all games can we also have a script that adds them all up to give a value of our individual and collective collections

not sure if any of these had been requested before or if they do exist and im just not seeing them

jcalder8

Re: 6 random suggestions suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
I can answer a couple of these :)

2. This has been talked about but at the moment the focus of the site is on collecting
4. This has been in the works for a long time
5. If you click on the vgcollect symbol at the top left above where it says "Forum Home", "Search"... etc it takes you back to your collection
6. The main problem is that there is no way to track how much it actually sold for and how complete the item is.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:16:57 pm »
I can answer a couple of these :)

5. If you click on the vgcollect symbol at the top left above where it says "Forum Home", "Search"... etc it takes you back to your collection

6. The main problem is that there is no way to track how much it actually sold for and how complete the item is.

Haha!

I didn't even know about #5 :)

And, regarding #6...the links are often to the wrong 'version' of the game (for example:  If you click-on it for Valkyrie Profile (for the PS1) ===> it will take you to the Amazon page for the PSP version of Valkyrie Profile).

-Same as above for Tactics Ogre & many other games that are on multiple platforms.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 02:08:52 am »
I do really like the high score idea, something like a "once-a-month high score challenge" would be cool. but I understand you guys want to keep it as a collecting site

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:19:43 am »
I do really like the high score idea, something like a "once-a-month high score challenge" would be cool. but I understand you guys want to keep it as a collecting site
I think it would be cool to have it as a thread!

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:18:43 am »
Having a 1 to 10 star rating on every game where we could vote would be awesome! Like a chart of top 100 in each section like nes snes gen etc. And even like a bottom 20... Im always looking for the worst video games ever made! Kinda like how imdb does it... but vgcollect is way better
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
1. printable covers for people who are missing the covers?
A lot of our covers are low resolution to begin with, so there'd be no point to this.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:01 am »
I thought of another idea/feature that I'd like (don't know how hard it would be to do)...but...

I think that it'd be cool, if when we're looking at our own profiles (where it would show # of submissions, edits, etc)...we could actually click-on "submissions"...and see exactly *what* we've submitted / same idea for edits...but that'd prolly be kinda' getting carried away :)

Also, regarding submissions...

When you submit, say a new game (name only) - do you get the same 'credit' for "1 submission" as the guy who fills in each & every field in their submission...or...is the *name* = the submission & the *rest* = edits?

karyann

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:58:50 pm »
I can help for the first point about printable covers! Head over to http://www.thecoverproject.net/ , they've got the best cover database available to my knowledge. They also have custom covers to fit universal cases and such. :)

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 03:05:32 pm »
I can help for the first point about printable covers! Head over to http://www.thecoverproject.net/ , they've got the best cover database available to my knowledge. They also have custom covers to fit universal cases and such. :)
Good suggestion. But before anyone gets any ideas:

Please do not upload covers found there to the database. Not that they aren't awesome, but they've often been modified in some way (edited UPC, custom covers) or cleaned up. Ahem.

karyann

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:20:30 pm »
Good suggestion. But before anyone gets any ideas:

Please do not upload covers found there to the database. Not that they aren't awesome, but they've often been modified in some way (edited UPC, custom covers) or cleaned up. Ahem.

Thanks for that, I should have thought about leaving a note on this :o At least you saved the day! :D

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 04:31:59 pm »
I thought of another idea/feature that I'd like (don't know how hard it would be to do)...but...

I think that it'd be cool, if when we're looking at our own profiles (where it would show # of submissions, edits, etc)...we could actually click-on "submissions"...and see exactly *what* we've submitted / same idea for edits...but that'd prolly be kinda' getting carried away :)
You can actually see who has done what edits to a page if you add /history at the end of the URL, like this one: http://vgcollect.com/item/17129/history
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 04:56:42 pm »

You can actually see who has done what edits to a page if you add /history at the end of the URL, like this one: http://vgcollect.com/item/17129/history

Yeah, but then you need to already be on the page of the item...and then...you can just click-on "History".

I meant more like, an in-profile/user-history - where you could click-on yourself (or possibly others/your friends)...and see a list of everything that you've/they've added/edited  8)

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 05:06:19 pm »
Yeah, having that recent thread about "recently submitted" items made me think that'd be a cool feature.  I'm curious what kind of edits people do to stuff + what kind of games they submit.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 05:17:23 pm »
Yeah, having that recent thread about "recently submitted" items made me think that'd be a cool feature.  I'm curious what kind of edits people do to stuff + what kind of games they submit.

*Exactly* what I'm thinking :)