Author Topic: Continues in games?  (Read 1530 times)

scott

Continues in games?
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:17 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone else does this. On games that allow for continues, but wipe your High Score on a continue. Do you let the timer run down to 0 and start from the beginning, or do you credit feed it to the end?

When I'm playing SHMUPs I tend to only play until I lose my last life and then let it go to the high score board. Usually I won't credit feed it, unless I'm trying to play through and unlock characters if needed. But on platformers and such I'll just keep continuing until I'm through it. I'm not sure what the difference it, but I think it has something to do w/ trying to master the patterns in each level of bullet hell shooters.

Does anyone else do this? Or do you just keep hitting continue until you beat the game?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

Re: Continues in games?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:12:08 pm »
I tend to ignore the scoreboards. I don't know why, I just never really got into scores.

soera

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:47:17 pm »
Whats a score? I thought it was just something on Atari games! :P

Heh most games I play actually dont have score. If there is a score, I do try to get a high score and keep it however.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »
I tend to see "credit feeding" as practise runs for a later (hopeful) 1CC, so I'll do both, starting with as many credits as I can get and working my way down over time.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:08:42 pm »
IF its an in depth arcade game, then I will put in a lot of credits. If it's say an old arcade game (1943 for example) one credit. That's all it gets.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 05:30:09 pm »
I don't have a particular method. It all depends on mood for me. Sometimes I want to see it to the end. Sometimes I just want a high score attempt. Kind of different experiences.

I guess I tend to credit feed though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:10:11 pm »
I just keep continuing until I finish, as others have said I don't keep track of the score, for me it's just about finishing the game.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 02:57:42 am »
For me it really depends on the mood I'm in, if I feel like just completing the game I'll use continues until I do, however mostly with fighting games and shoot 'em' ups I usually one-credit, or try to one-credit, clear them.
To me it's very satisfying clearing a game on one credit, thaa saving and later going back and trying to beat my previous score.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:59:46 am by kingrat101 »

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:07 pm »
I usually credit feed so that I can play it through. If I've beaten the game then I will practice until I've gotten it down so that I never use any credit feeding at all.. and hopefully even dying to a minimum of 1.
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

theprestige2000

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:10:24 pm »
If it's on XBLA and the scores get posted then I want the high score (example Galaga).  If I just want to plow through for fun then I'll do that (example Double Dragon Neon).