Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275847 times)

tripredacus

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1620 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:03 pm »
Tom Clancy's NetForce
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetForce_(film)

What a world to live in.

« Reply #1621 on: May 20, 2019, 12:11:46 pm »
I'm in the same general boat here.  The GoT finale was fine - it did a better job of hitting the check boxes than the previous two at the very least.  It was still a spectacle to behold, but it has been slowly coming off the rails since Season 5, with bright spots interspersed throughout (I think the S6 finale might be the best episode of the show).  Without the hard text to guide them D&D just stumbled with the more nuance material.  That said, I still enjoyed it until the end - it was still better than 85% of everything else on TV, even with its flaws.

« Reply #1622 on: May 20, 2019, 02:59:01 pm »
I'm in the same general boat here.  The GoT finale was fine - it did a better job of hitting the check boxes than the previous two at the very least.  It was still a spectacle to behold, but it has been slowly coming off the rails since Season 5, with bright spots interspersed throughout (I think the S6 finale might be the best episode of the show).  Without the hard text to guide them D&D just stumbled with the more nuance material.  That said, I still enjoyed it until the end - it was still better than 85% of everything else on TV, even with its flaws.

Yeah basically even with them stumbling through to the end, it's still a pretty great series.  I'm thinking of doing a series re-watch sometime later this year, go back into it all, get a fresh look at everything and maybe just skim through kinda the last season or two, as there is still a lot of stuff that works, even if I'm disappointed with where things inevitably lead.  Plus it's just visually pretty incredible stuff as the show has always been great for that, outside of the dumb decision to make the Night King battle super dark, which was also made worse by streaming issues that lead to the darkness being even worse, but will guaranteed to be changed for the Blu-Ray and probably streaming in the future.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:04:22 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1623 on: May 25, 2019, 01:59:57 am »

Since I had been watching the TV show "What We Do In The Shadows", which I was enjoying the kinda laidback and low key humor of it, figured I'd watch the movie it was based on and I dig the mockumentary style of it.  It's a more reserved humor I don't normally watch, but it gives me a pretty good chuckle.

« Reply #1624 on: May 27, 2019, 02:10:35 pm »

Brightburn was fine, but didn't live up to its potential.  Based on the premise it had the opportunity to be something special, but it ended up just being standard "bad seed" horror faire, where the child has super powers instead of demon possession.  Some decent gore effects and pretty good performances save it from total mediocrity.

Also, What We Do in the Shadows is one of my favorite films of the last decade.  It hits every note perfectly.

« Reply #1625 on: May 28, 2019, 02:28:43 am »

In full Godzilla hype mode, but since I basically already watched what I wanted to catch up on with Godzilla, I remembered that I hadn't gone through the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy.  I started, but never actually finished the first one, and that's prime material to jump into.

I get to bring back the nice posters pictures also! Pretty nice poster for this one, showing off a colorful Mothra protecting the Earth, it's all real well done.

The movie itself is actually very solid, more than I was expecting it to be.  I completely forgot that they kick things off with a new version of Ghidorah, "Desghidorah", who is very similar to Keizer Ghidorah in Final Wars.  I thought they were the same, but they are a completely different design, even if they are both doing a 4 legged look for Ghidorah.  Using Ghidorah for your starting monster? That's a strong stance to begin with and it works great as it's such an evil looking version of the Kaiju, especially fighting the adorably fluffy Mothra.  Was abit worried that because this movie involves kids, it would kinda suck, that's basically how it mostly always goes, trying for a more family friendly vibe after the quite dark "Godzilla vs Destroyah" movie.  They don't hold back with the monster action though as the two Mothra's in it get wrecked pretty good and when one of them dies, it's genuinely quite sad.  Also they kinda make Mothra badass for the first time.  Generally, Mothra doesn't do a lot in the Godzilla films and is pretty limited in abilities, but here, Mothra gets like crazy speed, slashing wings, crazy energy attacks, it's a big improvement for the cute fluffy moth queen.

I don't really have too many complaints for this other than I think they drag the scenes on too long at times.  They really needed to cut down the movie by like 10 to 15 minutes, make it a sweet 90 minutes as it kinda drags just a little because of these scenes.  Also the direction given to some of the actors was pretty poor, where it's especially notable towards the end, where the family has these deadpan faces during the final goodbye with the twins and its so weird.

Real good time though, I'd definitely rate this like an 8/10.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:34:14 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1626 on: May 29, 2019, 08:44:20 pm »
I just finished a binge watch of all 6 seasons of The Americans.  It’s a fantastic show with terrific performances, and twists and turns like no other.

tripredacus

« Reply #1627 on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:57 am »
The Towering Inferno
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Towering_Inferno

An actual good disaster movie from the 1970s... And actually did end up getting a video game out of it somehow.
https://vgcollect.com/item/17006

« Reply #1628 on: May 30, 2019, 07:28:46 pm »

Absolutely awesome, it's everything I was wanting it to be.  Critic views of the movie are really weird right now, because after slagging on Godzilla 2014 for not enough giant monsters, they are saying there is too much, like that's a problem.  I understand what they mean, as the human drama can feel like their are rushing through plot points rather quick, but it never felt bad, I was absolutely engaged in what was going on, even if a lot is happening.

But at the core of it, is it a good giant monster movie? Oh hell yes.  The battles are big, destructive, and amazing.  I'm gonna have to let the movie sit with me for abit, rewatch it, but I think this movie is gonna go very high on my list of favorite Godzilla films and I'm really excited for King Kong vs Godzilla and hopefully future films.

« Reply #1629 on: June 02, 2019, 04:45:36 pm »

The long-awaited Deadwood movie.  About as perfect as it could have been.  Maybe a little short and didn't touch on as many things as I would have liked to see, but it was amazing seeing these characters and hearing David Milch's dialogue again.

Finally got around to Season 2 of Cinemax's Outcast.  A pretty big disappointment compared to Season 1.  They basically traded pure horror for a fantastical investigation / mystery element that never really gelled the way the visceral scares of the first season did.

« Reply #1630 on: June 02, 2019, 11:00:43 pm »

Rebirth of Mothra 2 and I think it's a nice step up from the last one, only because what the kids are doing during the movie is more entertaining than the first movie.  We get some ruins to run through, ancient civilizations, weird furby creature, deadly starfish, it's not a bad family adventure setup.

Dagahra isn't exactly the most memorable of monsters, and a step down from Desghidorah, but still a pretty reasonable design as this sea dragon.  We get multiple versions of Mothra in this too, which is great, with one design being "Aqua Mothra", a streamlined aquatic version.  That kind of stuff is pretty fun for this series.

As far as the more family friendly kaiju movies I've seen, I think these Rebirth of Mothra movies are doing it the best.  It has a little bit of that campy quality we saw in the showa era, but that 90's polish where you don't feel like you are suffering every moment a child is on the screen.  If you enjoy the classic kaiju films, I'd definitely recommend picking these up.  I don't think they are as good as the Godzilla or Gamera of the time, but like they fit in neatly in third place.

« Reply #1631 on: June 04, 2019, 03:03:52 am »

A dark and sad show, but very engaging and interesting.  It's a good watch if you any interest in the event or just well done historical dramas.  Weird to call something historical that happened only a few months before I was born lol
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:59:46 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1632 on: June 04, 2019, 08:07:32 am »

This was a fun little stealth drop from Netflix.  You'd think that I'd get tired of Andy Samberg's schtick as I get older, but somehow I keep finding him funnier.  It doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of hyper specific parody songs, like this or Epic Rap Battles of History.  It's just under 30 minutes, so worth giving it a shot.

« Reply #1633 on: June 06, 2019, 04:08:35 am »

Mostly just wanted to watch this show for David Tenant who I really dig and that the idea of the show seemed kinda fun.  It's overall okay.  It's very dry British humor, feels like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in particular.  I sort of feel like the show should've been darker in general to go with the humor?  It has moments like that and I love the relationship between the demon and angel, it's honestly the best part of the show when they interact, but I just feel like it doesn't really hit any major notes.  Wouldn't be something I super recommend, but if you just want a kinda chill mildly goofy show to pass the time with, you might be alright with it.

« Reply #1634 on: June 08, 2019, 09:14:22 am »
Fascinating true story of three triplets that were separated at birth, found each other by happenstance, and all of the crazy things that occurred both before and after.  Saying anything more would be giving too much away.

So, I watched S1 sometime last year, and S2 just released a couple of weeks ago.  S1 is fine, but S2 is a revelation.  The whole time I was watching S1 I felt like there was something not quite there, and then S2 comes along, introduces Andrew Scott as a foul mouth priest and it soars.

MacGruber never really gelled like it should have.  There were individual hilarious moments, but it just felt more like a string of sketches barely strung together than a real movie.  I laughed, sure, but it was pretty forgettable.