Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279188 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1875 on: January 31, 2021, 04:42:25 am »

Been a little while since I watched a movie, but I saw Love and Monsters pop up somewhere out of the blue and thought I'd give it a shot and I had a good time with it.  Post-apocalypse, humanity doomed itself by trying to destroy an asteroid with missiles, which saves the planet from destruction, but radiation or something rains down on the planet (They never say nukes were used and I feel like they say "chemical" at one point, so I'm wondering if its meant to be a different type of missile they used that caused this problem) and mutates most cold blooded life, such as amphibians, fish, lizards, and insects, in turn, wiping out most of humanity.  It's basically Zombieland, but with giant creatures, instead of zombies.  Same sort of humor throughout a horrible situation, even has a young guy narrating over stuff who is kinda awkward and talks a lot.

Effects were great, like it's mostly CG, but there's a few practical things and it all looks really good.  It's also prime material for a sequel, there's definitely a lot more they could do with this setting for sure that I'd love to see them return to.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:43:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1876 on: January 31, 2021, 12:04:57 pm »
One Night in Miami is a much more subtle and nuanced take on an adaptation of a culturally / racially charged stage play than Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.  The latter had better performances, but was just kinda bombastic and in your face.  Miami just clicked much better for me, overall.

My girlfriend has been on a big Godzilla kick lately.  We watched the 2014 flick before going to see King of the Monsters, and she just loves the big chonky boy, so we watched Shin Godzilla last year (love it), but she had never really seen any of the classic movies, so we are starting to work our way through them.

Godzilla - The all time classic.  Anyone who complains about there not being enough Big G in the 2014 movie needs to watch this one and shut the hell up.
Godzilla Raids Again - I'd never seen this one.  The first half is really solid, but after G kills Anguirus it kinda takes a hard turn into snooze town.  I actually like the sake house scene, but everything after that just drags on for so long.

Mothra - I like that this started as more of like a neat jungle expedition movie, that morphed (lol puns) into a Kaiju film.
Mothra vs. Godzilla - The Mothra movies really don't care for capitalism, apparently.
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster - Ok, I liked the two Mothra movies, but really liked just how bonkers the series has gotten already.  Giant space dragons and Princesses from Venus?  You got it!

Invasion of Astro-Monster - This was a trip.  Mostly an alien invasion film that happens to include the big monsters.  Sags a bit in the middle, but makes up for it in a totally nutso finale.

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep - What even was this?  I didn't hate it, but it was very odd.  Ebirah looked great, though!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:59:24 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1877 on: February 14, 2021, 05:45:59 pm »
After seeing the trailer for the Justice League: Snyder Cut, I have this odd feeling of wanting to give the previous movies another watch...I don't know why, I thought the majority of the films suck, aside from Wonder Woman, Shazam, and kinda Aquaman, but like how I gave the Star Wars Prequels another shot (Only liking Revenge of the Sith), I'm kinda curious how I feel about them separated by a few years. 

I don't expect to like them, Wonder Woman felt like the exception in that it was always sorta the one "alright" film that I've softened on, but maybe I won't hate them as much?  I'm not gonna watch Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey as Suicide Squad had nothing redeemable, and Birds of Prey is just mostly kinda boring, so I think I might go and watch Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and the original Justice League, and then I might watch the Snyder Cut, primarily because I'll have an HBO Max subscription already for next month to watch Godzilla vs Kong, which is my most anticipated movie of the year right now.

« Reply #1878 on: February 14, 2021, 08:02:14 pm »
Son of Godzilla - At least the big mantis fight was cool?
Destroy All Monsters - A less focused version on Astro-Monster.  Good, but a hair overstuffed.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah - Well that was certainly an experience.  It's not very good,but I respect it for trying to do something different.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:02:54 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1879 on: February 14, 2021, 08:52:46 pm »
Son of Godzilla - At least the big mantis fight was cool?
Destroy All Monsters - A less focused version on Astro-Monster.  Good, but a hair overstuffed.

Current ranking:

• Shin Godzilla
  • Godzilla (1954)
  • Godzilla (2014)
  • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
  • Mothra vs. Godzilla
  • Mothra
  • Invasion of Astro-Monster
  • Godzilla: Final Wars
  • Destroy All Monsters
  • Godzilla, King of the Monsters
  • Godzilla 2000
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
  • Godzilla Raids Again
  • Son of Godzilla
  • Godzilla (1998)

Now you got me wanting to do a full Godzilla marathon. I was only planning to do the Legendary movies next month with the lead up to Godzilla vs Kong, but I might start from the beginning again since I own almost all of them at this point.

« Reply #1880 on: February 19, 2021, 11:14:17 pm »
I really just want to get to the Heisei stuff at this point, but it is also the hardest to find.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - I can't get behind the people who say it's better than the original, but it's definitely underrated.
Bill and Ted Face the Music - Definitely the weakest of the three, but it has its moments.

« Reply #1881 on: February 20, 2021, 04:38:08 am »
Johnny Mnemonic

I enjoyed it for the mid-90s special effects but Keanu's acting was pretty rough.

« Reply #1882 on: February 20, 2021, 03:48:57 pm »
I really just want to get to the Heisei stuff at this point, but it is also the hardest to find.

Snagged the Toho Vol. 1 and 2 Collection today for a great price.  Just need to get '85 and Biollante now.

« Reply #1883 on: February 20, 2021, 05:13:42 pm »
I think the only movies I don't have for Godzilla right now is Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters, as the DVD set of older movies doesn't have them and the Blu-Ray stuff doesn't have them either.  I'm fine for that with Son of Godzilla, which might be the worst of all the Godzilla movies lol
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:20:47 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1884 on: February 20, 2021, 05:15:44 pm »
I think the only movies I don't have for Godzilla right now is Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters, as the DVD set of older movies doesn't have them and the Blu-Ray stuff doesn't have them either.  I'm fine for that with Son of Godzilla, which might be the worst of all the Godzilla movies.

Yeah, that one was pretty bad.  The Showa Criterion set has everything from that era, at least, and the transfers are beautiful.  What we've had to skip so far (because I haven't bought that set yet, and they aren't on HBOMax) is King Kong vs. Godzilla and All Monsters Attack, both of which are not exactly fondly remembered, so I was ok passing them up for now.

« Reply #1885 on: February 20, 2021, 05:23:56 pm »
Yeah some of that 60's stuff gets rough, it's probably my least liked era of Godzilla even if its the era that introduce some fan favorite characters like Ghidorah and Mothra.  I wish I had picked up that nice Criterion set, but it was abit too pricey for my taste.

« Reply #1886 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:59 pm »
I think the only movies I don't have for Godzilla right now is Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters, as the DVD set of older movies doesn't have them and the Blu-Ray stuff doesn't have them either.  I'm fine for that with Son of Godzilla, which might be the worst of all the Godzilla movies lol
Son of Godzilla is hilarious.

« Reply #1887 on: February 21, 2021, 02:07:02 am »
Son of Godzilla is hilarious.

It's funny, but not for the right reasons lol It's one of only two Godzilla movies I pretty much never want to watch again, which is Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla: The Planet Eater.  I watched them once, maybe twice, I never need to watch them again lol

« Reply #1888 on: February 22, 2021, 06:06:42 am »
Godzilla vs. Gigan - I actually dug this one more than I thought I would.  My biggest issue was all the reused footage from earlier film.
Godzilla vs. Megalon - Not great.  Same reused footage problem as Gigan but not nearly as good / interesting overall.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:16:25 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1889 on: February 22, 2021, 07:18:44 am »
Goodfellas somehow exceeded my expectations.