Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280078 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1380 on: June 18, 2018, 04:08:29 am »

I feel like every few years that I see this movie, I'm still impressed with how well it holds up, especially with the early 90's CG.  Yeah you can see it show its age in a few parts here and there, but when big budget movies years after this don't look even close to this good, and it has fantastic animatronics, it's impressive.  I also do see the points in the movie now where you can nitpick it to death, like "Why didn't they do this" or "They totally could've done this better", but it's still such a treat.  The genuine wonder they show for the dinosaurs that then leads to the genuine horror of it, it's just a quality movie.

Doubling up with Lost World, so gonna watch that next.

I sorta look at Lost World like the "Aliens" of this series.  Not that the movie is on that level of quality, just that where the first movie is more about a smaller group surviving, and Lost World is bigger, broader, and with more action and people.  Some stuff doesn't work super well, but general it's still pretty solid and looks great visually up till mostly the finale.  I'm actually really hopeful for the new Fallen Kingdom movie as what I saw in the trailer showed that they'll be kind doing stuff that Lost World tried, but hopefully they'll do it better.

I'll be watching JP3 and Jurassic World next.  I already know kinda how JP3 will go, I don't have good memories of it, but I haven't watched JW since it was in theater, so looking forward to it.

I was a tad surprised to find out that I didn't hate this movie as much as I remembered...Hate might be too strong, but I remember never really being that big on it.  Like it's absolutely the worst Jurassic Park movie, the pacing is kinda weird, the story isn't too great, I don't like anyone other than Grant, but it's still watchable enough.  The Spinosaurus is cool, the effects are good, and for what it is, it's still a good dino movie.

Jurassic Park at its worst is still better than most lol On to the new era of Jurassic Park...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:13:32 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1381 on: June 19, 2018, 02:13:30 am »

Wrapped up my re-viewing of the entire Jurassic Park series by watching the last movie in the franchise, Jurassic World. As a side note, one of the most fun movie theater experiences I ever had was seeing this opening night. I don't know if I just ended up in a theater full of giant Jurassic Park nerds, but there were so many reactions to various cool parts in the movie, specifically the very end involving the TREX, Blue, the Indomnous Rex, and another surprise dino. I was left in awe of this movie after watching it and saw it three times in the theater. In total, I've probably seen this movie about 8 times including me watching it at home so my impressions of it are still fresh, but the new entry in the franchise gave me an excuse to rewatch it.

While there are various parts that you really need to turn your brain off to enjoy, specifically a plot point that is brought up various times about using raptors as military weapons which is so completely asinine that even within the context of the Jurassic Park universe where dinosaurs have been brought back to life, and even ones are hybridized to create super dinos is utterly ridiculous. But that stupid, STUPID plot point aside I really like this movie a lot. I like how they created a super, evil hybrid dino that pretty much is hellbent on killing everything and it is up to the humans and the "real" dinosaurs to stop. As I mentioned in my story about first watching this movie in the theater, the ending scene is beyond amazing and makes me smile every time I watch it. I do miss the practical effects and to scale dinosaur models used in the previous movies, but the CG in this movie looks great and in terms of quality it is mostly right up there with the previous three films. There is a nice amount of comedy in this film to which breaks of the great action and delivers something else entertaining. And of course there are a ton of dinosaurs in it which I really enjoy.

If I had to rank all the Jurassic movies in order the first film, would no doubt be number 1. It is the best in terms of story, effects, and overall production. By a very small margin I'd place Jurassic World higher than The Lost World, mostly because I thought it had a more interesting story and found it a hair more entertaining overall. Then finally Jurassic Park III is down at the very bottom as it is the only film in the Jurassic Park series that I would consider bad. Even with that said, all of these movies still hold a special place in my life and this is one of my favorite movie franchises of all time. I am beyond hyped for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and even if it does end up sucking, I'm pretty sure I'll find value in the dinosaurs and various action scenes I'm sure it'll have. I'm sure I'll post my thoughts on it after seeing it this Thursday :p

« Reply #1382 on: June 19, 2018, 04:17:34 am »

Just a random note, but I never realized that Dr. Wu was the same doctor from the first movie lol

Jurassic World does what I love best with this series, which of course is what the first movie did best before, and it is about the wonder of these creatures and the horror.  Scientific hubris.  Having the Indominus Rex is also a great realization of ideas brought up in the first movie with genetic engineering.  I love most everything about this movie.  The only thing I don't feel like I particularly enjoy are the kids.  They keep trying to make them endearing, but I mostly find them annoying.  It's the complete opposite of the first movie where the kids worked well.

Though the death of the kids handler by the underwater Mesosaurus? Still stupidly brutal lol

I like this movie alot.  Much like any of the Jurassic Park films, you can kinda nitpick a lot if you really want to (Claire running around in heels the entire time and then running from a T-Rex in them is super dumb lol), and there is a problem here and there with the story, but overall, it's exciting and I love the scope of it all.  I'm actually getting pretty pumped for Fallen Kingdom now.

Also Blue is the best killer dino lol

Right with you on the ranking, Bikingjahuty.  JP1, Jurassic World, Lost World, and JP3.  Curious to see where Fallen Kingdom will make its mark.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:22:14 am by kamikazekeeg »

shfan

« Reply #1383 on: June 20, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »
Last night I watched Event Horizon for the first time in many years, cracking sci-fi horror with several actors that I like. Also recently watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the original, a classic, not that godawful abortive John Travolta remake), such a brilliant flick full of character interaction and suspense.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1384 on: June 20, 2018, 04:11:56 pm »
Last night I watched Event Horizon for the first time in many years, cracking sci-fi horror with several actors that I like. Also recently watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the original, a classic, not that godawful abortive John Travolta remake), such a brilliant flick full of character interaction and suspense.

Event Horizon is so good. Best horror movie from the 90s.

If you liked that, you HAVE to watch Pandorum. Very similar feel to it.

« Reply #1385 on: June 21, 2018, 08:28:36 am »
I saw Incredibles 2 last night, which was pretty good, but definitely not as good as the original, though there were some really great visual trick / aspects I really liked.

« Reply #1386 on: June 21, 2018, 11:24:38 am »

This is one of a few Ghibli movies that I had not seen up until last night. I went into Pom Poko a little skeptical as to whether I'd like it because I have yet to see a Takahata movie I actually liked, in fact From Yesterday is one of the worst, most boring animated movies I've ever seen. But I went in with an open mind and I mostly enjoyed this film.

One thing about Pom Poko his how dramatically different the tone of the movie is at the beginning of the movie compared to the end. It starts out as a mostly light hearted movie with a ton of comedy and hilarious moments, but a little over halfway into the movie it takes an incredibly dark and depressing turn and mostly ends on that note as well. Pom Poko also drags on a little too long imo, as the pacing kind of falls apart around the one hour mark. i feel like this movie could have been a lot better, but for what it was it was mostly enjoyable albeit fairly depressing which is too bad since I felt pretty good during most of this movie. I'd definitely recommend it, but I would in no means place it towards the top of Studio Ghibli's movies.

« Reply #1387 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:31 pm »

Unfortunately, Fallen Kingdom doesn't live up to the previous movie.  It's not bad at all, but as the trailers showed, they spend time on the island and then spend the rest of the movie elsewhere and I'm pretty sure it's only like a 1/3rd of the movie is on the island and the rest elsewhere.  Because of this, it loses what Jurassic Park is at its best.  It still has good ideas and its still a well done movie, but it's a lesser experience than Jurassic World.  I feel the movie is this way because they are clearly setting up for a bigger and hopefully more entertaining third movie, whatever that may be.

Blue is still best dino though.  Also, the talk of the movie is that Isla Nubar is erupting and dying, but what about Isla Sorna?  I don't remember anyone ever bringing that up again after JP3.

Placement right now is still Jurassic Park 1 at the top, followed by Jurassic World, then Lost World, and here I would put Fallen Kingdom, and then Jurassic Park 3.  Fallen Kingdom is abit underwhelming, but its still way better put together than JP3.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:55:24 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1388 on: June 22, 2018, 12:14:27 am »

Unfortunately, Fallen Kingdom doesn't live up to the previous movie.  It's not bad at all, but as the trailers showed, they spend time on the island and then spend the rest of the movie elsewhere and I'm pretty sure it's only like a 1/3rd of the movie is on the island and the rest elsewhere.  Because of this, it loses what Jurassic Park is at its best.  It still has good ideas and its still a well done movie, but it's a lesser experience than Jurassic World.  I feel the movie is this way because they are clearly setting up for a bigger and hopefully more entertaining third movie, whatever that may be.

Blue is still best dino though.  Also, the talk of the movie is that Isla Nubar is erupting and dying, but what about Isla Sorna?  I don't remember anyone ever bringing that up again after JP3.

Placement right now is still Jurassic Park 1 at the top, followed by Jurassic World, then Lost World, and here I would put Fallen Kingdom, and then Jurassic Park 3.  Fallen Kingdom is abit underwhelming, but its still way better put together than JP3.

Jurassic World officially retcons The Lost World and Jurassic Park III. I thought the same thing when I was wtaching it and looked it up as soon as I got home. It makes the first third of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom seem more relevant, but they should have established that The Lost World and JP3 never happened in the actual movie since most other people probably were in the same boat as you and I while watching.

« Reply #1389 on: June 22, 2018, 12:28:13 am »

I went into Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom not expecting to like it as much as Jurassic World, but unfortunately I liked it even less then I thought I would. This will be a spoiler free review so feel free to read on if you have interest in seeing this movie.

So first off, Fallen Kingdom is a pretty entertaining movie with lots of dinos, action and explosions, with very little runtime spent on other things that slow down the plot. However, it may have been better to have more story injected into this film since the plot and story is pretty bad and makes very little sense most of the time. There were many times I simply wanted to be like, "no, that's not how that works." It really is a movie you have to turn your brain off to enjoy because thinking about many of the things that happen in this movie or how the plot chooses to progress really give you the impression they rushed a script to production as fast as possible to get this movie out without putting into consideration the quality of the story. The simply wanted to throw as much dino action at you as possible to make you forget how bad the movie's plot and story were.

One other gripe I had is the two main characters, Owen and Claire, from the first Jurassic World barely acted like themselves from that movie, or at best very watered down versions of who they were. It's like the actors forgot how these characters were, or most likely didn't know how to act like their characters in this movie's ridiculous script.

I didn't hate this movie though, despite these things, and as I said, I was pretty entertained when I wasn't thinking about its plot and story. Particularly I thought the last third of the movie was really cool and had some great action scenes in it with Dino on Dino action. As Kamikazekeeg said, Blue is awesome and she grows even more on you in this film because of various things.

Sadly, this film is fairly unremarkable and if I had to give it a score I'd say 5/10 at best. It's really just a standard summer blockbuster that will be forgotten easily when the next big film comes out. Even for Jurassic Park fans this movie will most likely seem like a throw away entry. But without delay, here is how I'd rank all the Jurassic series films now that I've seen Fallen Kingdom. I also want to score them as well.

1. Jurassic Park (9/10)
2. Jurassic World (7/10)
3. The Lost World (7/10 - I like it just slightly less than Jurassic World, but would rank them about the same)
4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (5/10)
5. Jurassic Park 3 (4/10)

shfan

« Reply #1390 on: June 22, 2018, 04:00:34 pm »
Thanks muchly for the tip burningdoom! Pandorum looks right up my street and I had never heard of it :D

Flashback2012

« Reply #1391 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:40 pm »
Fired up Coco the other night on Netflix. Pretty good movie.  :)

« Reply #1392 on: June 24, 2018, 08:23:52 am »
I saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom yesterday, and while it is catastrophically dumb I walked away really liking it?

If the first Jurassic World is just a dumber retread of the original, then Fallen Kingdom is a dumber retread of The Lost World, but without all the self-seriousness in that film.  Lost World is a more well crafted film, for sure, but Fallen Kingdom may have it beat on sheer entertainment value.  And if they would just remove the whole "military usage" of dinosaurs from both films they would be all the better for it.

Also, I feel like the movie places a really low dollar amount on how much the dinos are worth?  Like they are saying $10 million for an ankylosaurus, etc, but I feel like the values listed don't match up with the expended costs to save them from the volcano?  Like that mission would be half a billion easy.

« Reply #1393 on: June 29, 2018, 03:16:56 am »

It's really unfortunate how these Netflix Marvel shows have fallen off.  I liked Daredevil, the first Jessica Jones was good, and while Punisher had missteps, it was still well done (Jon Bernthal was great).  Luke Cage just hasn't ever been that good to me.  The first season had a few good things, but really just ended up being kind of a middling crime drama.  Second season is even worse because it's even less dealing with the superhero part and the crime drama aspect is so half-assed.  Any time it felt like it could go up a notch, it just didn't.  The lack of anything else superhero related, I don't even see the point.

It also doesn't help that everyone else is more interesting than Luke Cage.  He's so boring and one note feeling.  When in the final episode, I'm happy that Danny Rand, the Iron Fist, from one of the worst Netflix Marvel shows, is showing up, your show has a problem. 

Oh well, maybe Dardevil Season 3 can make up for it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:35:13 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1394 on: June 30, 2018, 05:09:44 am »

Finally finished this up.  It's a very dark and depressing show, but it's an interesting drama/horror, a fictional take on an actual event that no one really knows what happened.  The biggest hook of it is that there's a supernatural element to it.  I'm not entirely sure if it makes the show better or not by having it (I know this is based on a book), but it does add another layer to things.  Everything is really well done and well acted.  About the only thing I feel was lacking, was that the show runs over a couple years, and I found it kinda hard to gauge the time spent.  Things would come up to state how long at some points, but once or twice, I was kinda really surprised by how long it had been.

A tough, but interesting watch.  I hear they are turning this into an anthology series, the next one set in a Japanese-American Internment camp, which is a huge shift in setup, but this idea of a fictional story, in a real world setting, with a supernatural horror bent, is certainly a unique take for AMC.