Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280670 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1425 on: September 05, 2018, 11:26:55 pm »
I felt like Warcraft would've been better had they gone pure CG.  Like just take those awesome shorts they make and turn them into a movie, because there is so much CG anyways, that having live action people in it was distracting because of how poorly they worked.  Everything is crazy exaggerated in size and design, and there's just these normal people there, looking like high end cosplay on a blue screen.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1426 on: September 06, 2018, 12:41:03 pm »
Still the coolest movie ever made 30 years later.

And Star is still hot as hell (my first crush).

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:42:45 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1427 on: September 12, 2018, 01:13:42 am »

Over the last week I rewatched all three Predator films, not including the AvP movies; I feel like the AvP films are distinctly their own thing, which is mostly for the best for the sake of both franchises. I am a huge fan of the AvP universe and lore, but part of that does not include the films. I will probably rewatch these again soon, but for now I just wanted to watch the Predator films since the new one is part of that franchise. With that out of the way, here are my reviews of each Predator movie.

Predator (1987): This movie is truly a sci-fi and a 80s action movie icon. It is definitely the most memorable Predator film in terms of what happens, the establishment of the predator creature, and its cast which most of all includes Arnold Schwarzenegger, the king of 80s action. The movie does a good job of building suspense, however this movie is a victim of the predator creature being well known at this point. What I mean by this is back when this movie came out the predator didn't exist so no one knew what the hell was going on as this group of elite badasses were hunted one by one after the movie establishes very well how ridiculous these guys are. During the famous mud scene, you finally get a glimpse of the predator creature and you are filled with intrigue as to who or what the predator is. And then finally, you get to see the predator unmasked at the end and it is so freakin cool. When I first saw this movie back when I was probably 6 I didn't know who the predator was or what it looked like, so my reaction was probably the same as people who saw the Predator when it first came out. However, now it does not have that suspense or mystery too it. Even for someone who has never seen this movie, the predator creature is now a staple of cinema and is probably very aware of what it is. Because of this, the once suspenseful pacing becomes more slow and the mystery is all but gone. Don't get me wrong, this is still a great movie, but its bare bones action movie plot, 2D tough guy characters, and the aforementioned issue don't cut the mustard like they used to. [7/10]

Predator 2 (1990): I've always been a really big fan of Predator 2 and when I was a kid it was my favorite. It has an interesting setting and story; the gang and violence infested LA setting combined with top secret government ops makes for a really interesting backdrop for the rest of the movie. And while Danny Glover and the supporting cast of characters do not have the same presence that Arnold and the cast of the first movie had, they are more fleshed out and interesting. And when speaking about the cast, I have to mention Gary Busey who is as ridiculous as ever, mostly. The Predator shows off how freakin badass he is in this film as well, but unlike the first film he also is more fleshed out and is given more gadgets, more tech, a ship, a clan of fellow predators, and that freakin trophy wall scene fascinates me every time I watch this movie, even to this day. I feel like we can thank Predator 2 for inspiring the expanded universe of Predator and the AvP series more than any other. It is an excellent film imo, and while not perfect I still enjoy this one over the original. I know this is blasphemy, but I guess everyone has their different opinions on these films. [8/10]

Predators (2010): I feel like this movie gets too much flack for being too derivative of the first movie, but other than the ending, I have to disagree. Like Predator 2 it builds a lot of the lore and expanded universe of Predator and sets up a very interesting setting that's more than "just another jungle." It introduced rival predator factions, establishes that they don't just go to other planets to hunt, shows that they use a lot of different methods for hunting, and that they will essentially hunt anything that they deem worthy. I also like how this move keeps you guessing and wondering about various things throughout the entire movie as well. The characters are definitely the weakest of the three movies, but the story and plot makes up for that imo. This is definitely the best looking predator film in regards to special fx, character design, action, and gore. It's also the first time we see Predator on Predator action which was pretty damn cool despite being a little underwhelming. If you thought me liking Predator 2 more than the original Predator was blasphemy, most would probably burn me alive for saying that thus far this is my favorite Predator film, just barely edging out Predator 2. It's definitely the strongest in terms of story and plot, and the fact that it keeps a very good pace throughout makes it highly entertaining. [8/10]

So there you have it, my opinion of the first three Predator films. After seeing the trailers and watching a few reviews for The Predator, I am cautiously excited for it; the trailers honestly make this movie look lame and generic, and about half the reviews seem to confirm this. The other half say this movie is a pretty good time, yet almost all the reviews including the more positive ones seem to criticize the ending. Whatever the case is, I will be seeing The Predator on Thursday and am looking forward to it.

« Reply #1428 on: September 14, 2018, 12:40:28 am »

Just got out of The Predator and if I had to use one word to describe it, it would undoubtedly be dumb. Like really, really, really dumb.

I will admit I had pretty low expectations for this movie going in; the trailers made this movie look pretty bad in various ways and I was expecting as much going in. I was certainly not expecting gold. Fortunately for the Predator license there is a lot of leg room for creativity since it's essentially about a race of alien hunters that come to earth to kill and collect trophies. However, The Predator used up all that leg room ,went right through the firewall, and was resting its toes on the transmission with this movie; they took the liberties afforded by this franchises and ran with it way to far to the point of absolute idiocy. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I found this movies plot, story and the information we find out about the predators to be hilariously bad. Like I was laughing and face palming at the same time when they discussed the predator's motives and why they had come to earth this time around. On top of that there is an autistic kid in this movie that almost turns this movie into a cheesy 90s kid's sci-fi movie, especially regarding what happens at the end. Speaking of the ending, it's about the most outrageously stupid movie ending I may have ever seen. My mouth was literally agape with astonishment with how stupid it was. But then again, the whole entire movie leading up to the ending was pretty stupid so I might have expected it.

I didn't completely hate this movie though. For starters it was pretty entertaining and it was definitely the funniest Predator movie of the four. I also enjoyed the predator on predator fighting which is hardly a spoiler since it's all over the trailers (hell, it's in the movie poster), as well as the pacing of the film was good, with few boring parts. The predators looked cool, mostly; I was not a fan of the super predator, who was overall a pretty underwhelming antagonist. There was also another "alien" in the movie which was just plain stupid in how it was implemented and how it was mostly a running joke for nearly half the film. But here I am describing what I don't like about the film again so I'll wrap this up.

The Predator is a stupid, STUPID movie that I can barely see appealing to old predator fans or people who aren't as familiar with the franchise. It is entertaining and has some cool action sequences, but don't try and think too much about the plot or the quality of the previous three movies because that's when you'll start having problems like I did. The Predator is a modern, mindless popcorn action flick that doesn't do the franchise justice, but for what it is it's okay. [4/10]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:55:07 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #1429 on: September 14, 2018, 05:17:26 pm »
I ended up skipping release day because I was just tired, but I was shocked to hear how bad The Predator was.  I'll just wait for a rental now.  Super disappointing to hear about it as others are coming out to say how bad it was too.

« Reply #1430 on: September 17, 2018, 09:02:28 am »
The Predator
Yeah, it was dumb as a sack of rocks, but I still generally enjoyed it.  The first half was actually pretty good, but the last third or so was a messy rush job.  The fate of at least one character still has me going "What the hell happened?!".  Definitely Shane Black's worst script, and the worst mainline Predator film - though its definitely better that AvP:R and probably better - at least more enjoyable - than AvP.

Jackie Brown
Easily QT's most low key movie - especially in the final resolution.  Great performances and soundtrack choices all around.  Makes me wish QT did a little bit more with regards to adapting other people's work, because Elmore Leonard was one of the greats in modern crime fiction.

Ash vs. Evil Dead - Season 3
And it's finally over - again.  Who would have thought 20 years ago that there would been an Evil Dead sequel series- and that it would be GOOD?  There were missteps along the way, like the hastily rewritten season 2 finale and shortchanging some characters at the end, but it was gory good fun from beginning to end.  Godspeed Ashley J. Williams.

Babylon 5: In the Beginning / Babylon 5: The Gathering
I watched the prequel movie and the pilot movie to gear up for a rewatch of Babylon 5.  It may not be as known as some other series, but it is one of my absolutely favorites - even if some aspects haven't aged great.  I was actually pretty shocked at how well The Gathering establishes the overall tone of the show, despite there being some major changes in cast and production choices in the year between it and the first episode proper.

Yeah... so I had a busy weekend.

« Reply #1431 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:35 am »

I went in expecting nothing from Season 2 of Iron Fist.  I mean the first season was so poorly handled and boring, I felt like as long as it was better than that, I'd be alright with it.  What I ended up getting was a show that I liked more than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage Season 2.  They turned Danny Rand around to be a far less tedious and lame character, his interactions with Colleen and Davos work, and while normally the side stories aren't great, I was fine with Ward's here.  The story in general is just better handled.

Best thing about the show? 10 Episodes! Something I think watchers of these series have been saying for awhile.  They never have enough good writing to make up 13 complete episodes most of the time.  Like I enjoyed Punisher for what it was, but that show would've been much better had it been 10 episodes.  Same for Jessica Jones, same for Luke Cage. 

The combat is better, the story is better, and the last two episodes took the series for a swerve that I wasn't expecting and it's for the better as I think these shows need a big shake up right now.  Honestly has me interested in Season 3.  Like this show isn't amazing, but I think it's actually watchable and entertaining now.  I hope Daredevil Season 3 keeps this going with good, as I was feeling pretty bad about these shows after Jessica Jones and Luke Cage season 2.

« Reply #1432 on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:39 am »

I had been meaning to see this on rental since it came out and finally got around to it.  Kinda avoided it at first as I didn't really want a movie based on a game I had played, but it really only shares some general basics with the game, mostly what the myth they are chasing is and kind of some visual aspects.  Otherwise it's kind of like a shallow take on the reboot games plot.

I am happy to get a pretty reasonable adventure film.  It's pretty straightforward, no real depth to the overall experience, but sometimes you just want someone fighting a baddie or two and getting through a ruin.  I wish they had gone farther with the story itself as they kinda half-ass it and cut out the supernatural stuff. 

Though I am absolutely livid that they put Lara getting her twin guns in the trailer for this.  You know where that scene is in the movie? LITERALLY THE VERY END.  THEY PUT THE LAST SCENE OF THE MOVIE IN THE TRAILER.  I think they did it just to make it seem like it was a more action heavy movie, which it really isn't that much.  Lara is only on her for like 10 minutes on the island and then she's essentially captured again.

As it's own movie, it's fine.  It's totally a competent adventure film, the woman that plays Lara is good, and I'm cool with that.  As something based on the reboot series, it's kinda underwhelming.  I guess it's good to say it's not a bad game based movie, but I can't really offer up a serious recommend.  Rental only at most.

« Reply #1433 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:06 pm »

If you like My Hero Academia, then you will like My Hero Academia: Two Heroes.  Had a great time with the movie, hitting all that you'd expect from it, even digging a little deeper than that.  They also spent a lot of time making this work into the main story I feel and does a nice bit of showing some of All Might's past, important people to him, while making it work with Deku's journey to being a hero.

The only downside? Godzillo only gets a brief cameo! For shame!

« Reply #1434 on: September 28, 2018, 09:28:17 pm »

I passed on watching this in the theater, mostly because the interest just wasn't there for me at the time.  Didn't have any ill will towards it, just ended up passing.  Finally watched it and it's overall a very solid film.  It doesn't do anything nuts, it's not overhauling the universe, it's got the Han Solo story to tell and it does that.  Honestly, it's probably at number two on the new films as I liked it more than Rogue One and Last Jedi.  It's definitely the most consistent of the new films, mostly because it's not taking many risks, you can kinda tell how the story will mostly go except for a few parts, but it's fun.  I know this movie got caught up in the Last Jedi backlash, abit unfairly, but it's a pretty good Star Wars film because you get whats on the tin...A Star Wars Story.  It's a good watch.

« Reply #1435 on: September 29, 2018, 08:55:10 am »
It's definitely the most consistent of the new films, mostly because it's not taking many risks, you can kinda tell how the story will mostly go except for a few parts, but it's fun.  I know this movie got caught up in the Last Jedi backlash, abit unfairly, but it's a pretty good Star Wars film because you get whats on the tin...A Star Wars Story.  It's a good watch.
That's how I feel about it.  It's nothing special, but it is a fun pretty consistent romp.  I found some of the fanservice bits a little pandering (or a lot pandering - how he gets his name, and the nickname for Chewie bit), but overall I had a lot of fun with it, and I would also consider it #2 of the new films, though it sounds like the rest of my ranking would be different than yours

tripredacus

« Reply #1436 on: October 01, 2018, 12:19:54 pm »
Steele Justice [VHS]
Stir of Echoes [BD]

« Reply #1437 on: October 02, 2018, 07:46:41 pm »
Every October I make it a point to watch a horror film every day.  This year I’ve decided to go franchise heavy.

Oct. 1 Wrong Turn
Oct. 2 Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings

tripredacus

« Reply #1438 on: October 03, 2018, 09:42:51 am »
I'm trying my best to do something similar, but I know I will not be able to watch one a day. Some days will be impossible, and perhaps weekends I could catch up. Also I am not deviating from my regular watch order, but for October I will instead just skip over some movies and get back to them in the future, and just watch the ones that seem to be appropriate for the season. So far, this hasn't played out as I would expect...

Strange Girls [DVD] (widescreen, 2.0)
Not horror, not gore, just a weird movie. Seemed like there was some supernatural element to it, but no, just two crazy twin sisters living their weird life.

Stranger With My Face [DVD] (widescreen, 2.1)
Had a better description than the last, but turned out instead to be a made for TV movie. As such, nothing spectacular, but was interested to see the "concern" I've heard before where if you astral project, another entity can enter your body when you are gone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_with_My_Face_(film)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1439 on: October 05, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »

***SPOLER-FREE REVIEW***

Don't listen to the critics and angry Lady Gaga fans! I saw Venom last night, and it was awesome!

The CGI was a bit fake looking, but honestly, I have that complaint about pretty much all CGI in movies. I like practical effects.

And yeah, I wish Spider-Man was in it, but if you can get past that, you're in for a fun ride. (There's more Venom solo comics out there than ones with Spider-Man, really.)

Now, don't go into expecting Infinity War, but if you're a Venom fan, you won't be disappointed. It got the feel of the character down, perfectly. It was dark, gritty, violent, and surprisingly funny (if you like dark humor).

BTW, stay after the credits for a cool surprise.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:34:34 pm by burningdoom »