Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279128 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1440 on: October 06, 2018, 09:19:14 am »
October's movies continue:

Oct. 3 The Return of the Living Dead
Oct. 4 Final Destination
Oct. 5 Final Destination 2

Going to round out the FD series over the next three days.  I've only seen about half of 3 and nothing from 4 or 5, so I'll be interested to see how that goes.

tripredacus

« Reply #1441 on: October 08, 2018, 10:14:04 am »
Watching just Halloween appropriate movies is really making me jump huge sections....

The Stuff [VHS]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stuff

Subspecies [DVD] 4:3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subspecies_(film_series)

Suspiria (1977) [VHS]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight [DVD] 16:9/5.1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Knight
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:38:12 pm by tripredacus »

« Reply #1442 on: October 08, 2018, 12:17:01 pm »
Oct. 6 Final Destination 3
Oct. 7 The Final Destination
Oct. 8 Final Destination 5

I had previously seen about 1/2 of part 3.  A perfectly fine follow-up to the first two films.

The Final Destination is atrociously bad.  Like holy wow it sucks.

Part 5 is a massive turnaround.  It’s as good as if not better than 2 or 3.

Also saw Venom over the weekend.  It’s not bad, but it has some serious pacing issues.  Takes a while before it really gets going and the it’s over before you know it.

« Reply #1443 on: October 13, 2018, 04:20:11 am »
Not really in the mood for horror stuff right now, so figured I'd start my Terminator marathon.  I'm actually pretty hype for watching most of the first four movies, Terminator 3 being the odd one out.

I haven't watched the original Terminator since I was a teen at my friends house, so practically 15 years at least.  It's such a great watch, that early 80's grunginess and action, with this great synthy score to it.  Sometimes you just never know if going back to an older film, that it is gonna hold up, and while the animatronic Arnold is a little sketch and the stop motion terminator doesn't hold up the best, I still absolutely love all the practical effects.  The police station scene is pretty intense too.

One thing I wish they had made was a proper future war Terminator movie.  Like they have the war stuff in Salvation, but not really something that felt like what they tried to show off in the first movie and I believe the second movie.

This is a great watch, it was like going back to Predator and realizing that it is still such a solid action flick.  Also kinda neat, but while I knew that Bill Paxton was in this, I didn't remember that Lance Henriksen was also in this, making it two people from the Alien movies showing up in this.  Pretty cool!

Terminator 2 is definitely the best of the series.  It's really interesting watching this movie right after seeing the first and all the nods it pays to it.  Lots of stuff I didn't realize about the film in general compared to when I was kid that I never paid attention to, such as you were supposed to believe the whole time up till the mall scene that Arnie was the villain still and Robert Patrick was to be the human to help.  When I watched it whenever back in probably the late 90's/early 00's, you just already knew through pop culture what Arnold was, that he was there to help.

Much like the first movie, the action holds up really well.  It's all so good really.  Much like the first one, the only real negatives are a few of the effects.  The T-1000 and it's liquid body really doesn't hold up super well.  It's kinda cheesy nowadays, but it's not all that bad.  The movie does drag just a little in the middle after they break out Sarah, but when it's building to such an amazing climax, with the Cyberdyne lab attack leading up to the factory, it's understandable.

Kinda funny how these action series started out so strong, Alien and Aliens, Predator and Predator 2, The Terminator and Terminator 2, getting two good movies, but then mostly tanked right after (Alien 3 being a mild exception for still being alright, just not the best sequel after Aliens). It's pretty downhill after this, though I still have some hope that Salvation will be alright as I remember generally liking it.  As for Terminator 3, I mostly just remember it as a real dumb movie that has some kinda cool action scenes strewn throughout, so we'll see how those memories go.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:23:04 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1444 on: October 13, 2018, 05:01:43 pm »
Oct. 9 Cult of Chucky
Oct. 10 Creep 2
Oct. 11 The Babysitter
Oct. 12 Puppet Master 4

« Reply #1445 on: October 14, 2018, 05:13:46 pm »

Little Monsters was one of my childhood movies that I used to watch all the time, over and over again. The funny thing is that not only does Little Monsters show how radically different kids movies were back then, but that I loved this movie so much seeing how creepy and gruesome it is. That's not even to mention the mature themes and jokes, bad language, and the moments of pure nightmare fuel this movie has. Yet, it was made for kids in the late 80s when is when I primarily watched it up until the early 90s.

The movie is still very entertaining despite various plot holes, but it's not like this movie is trying to be The Godfather or anything like that. Also, I love the costume and set designs which all look great, as well as appropriately scary when they need to be. Howie Mandel as the main monster Maurice is also awesome, and he is pretty hilarious despite being a tad on the obnoxious side.

For anyone who enjoys shows like Stranger Things or other "kids" movies from the 80s like Monster Squad, or the 90s TV mini series IT, this movie is essential. It really has that unique, awesome 80s vibe that many other movies from this time period had, and it enhances rewatching this movie just that much more. For me personally I get extremely sentimental when I watch it, and makes it one of my all time favorite movies from childhood. Definitely watch this if you are into 80s horror, Stranger Things, or kids movies that aren't afraid to show mature content.

« Reply #1446 on: October 17, 2018, 06:31:01 am »

I really didn't remember alot from Terminator 3 in particular, other than like it's three major action scenes.  The crane truck destruction scene, that is goofy, but fun.  The graveyard scene, which is goofy, but fun.  And basically the finale, with like the bathroom fight scene, which is goofy, but fun.  That's really the best way to explain this movie...It's goofy.  Terminator shouldn't be goofy.  There's lots of like comedic elements that feel so out of place.  Terminator 2 had bits of levity, but it was more in purpose to the story and the bonding between John and Arnie.

The CG is a mixed bag.  There's stuff that looks good, like I dig how they are able to do more crazy physical stuff with the terminators that they didn't do before, because these are machines that are super strong and also weigh hundreds of pounds.  But there's stuff that clearly looks pretty underwhelming.  The writing feels pretty poor also and there's some very odd sound effects used at times that make no sense.  Like animal howls and bullet pings where there are no guns.

There's really no good reason to watch the film, much like Alien: Resurrection or Alien vs Predator.  It completely doesn't understand what made the first two movies work and just feels like a terrible franchise cash-in.  It's PG-13, its tone is stupid, and it just doesn't work.  Hopefully Salvation is better, I remember kind of liking it.

« Reply #1447 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:05 am »
It's PG-13, its tone is stupid, and it just doesn't work.  Hopefully Salvation is better, I remember kind of liking it.
No, it's R.  It's just very soft compared to 1 and 2.  Salvation, however, is PG-13 - and I personally hate it.

Oct. 13 The World's End
Oct. 14 The Purge
Oct. 15 Sleepaway Camp
Oct. 16 C.H.U.D.

« Reply #1448 on: October 17, 2018, 06:56:09 am »
It's PG-13, its tone is stupid, and it just doesn't work.  Hopefully Salvation is better, I remember kind of liking it.
No, it's R.  It's just very soft compared to 1 and 2.  Salvation, however, is PG-13 - and I personally hate it.

Oct. 13 The World's End
Oct. 14 The Purge
Oct. 15 Sleepaway Camp
Oct. 16 C.H.U.D.

Holy shit, I was wrong about this...For the longest time I thought it was PG-13, because it's such a neutered film.  Very casual violence, offscreen deaths, outside of maybe the arm through the chest, but like it's not even done in an ultra-violent way, I think they say "Fuck" once, which you can get away with in PG-13 I think...I can't possibly fathom why this is R.  Alien vs Predator is PG-13 and that feels almost more hardcore than this.  Geez, this makes the movie even worse to me.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:17:18 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kypherion

« Reply #1449 on: October 17, 2018, 10:49:58 am »
Outside Providence
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

pizzasafari

« Reply #1450 on: October 17, 2018, 08:35:00 pm »
Just finished watching through Elfen Lied for the first time, ridiculous fanservice aside that was so much better than I was expecting. Though before watching it I absolutely loved Deadman Wonderland and now I hate it. To call Deadman Wonderland an Elfen Lied ripoff would be like calling the sun tepid.

pizzasafari

« Reply #1451 on: October 18, 2018, 10:12:49 pm »
And following that, I just watched The Shape of Voice/A Silent Voice/whatever people call it, holy god that was good.

« Reply #1452 on: October 18, 2018, 10:21:39 pm »
And following that, I just watched The Shape of Voice/A Silent Voice/whatever people call it, holy god that was good.

I really need to watch this as I heard it was good, being out at the same time generally as "Your Name", but I just never got around to it.  Just need to be in the mood for a heart tugger.

pizzasafari

« Reply #1453 on: October 18, 2018, 10:41:13 pm »

I really need to watch this as I heard it was good, being out at the same time generally as "Your Name", but I just never got around to it.  Just need to be in the mood for a heart tugger.

I really want to watch Your Name but it's not on any of the streaming services I'm able to use at the mo. But A Silent Voice is really really good, it's on Netflix at the moment if you ever fancy a watch.

« Reply #1454 on: October 18, 2018, 10:48:52 pm »

I really want to watch Your Name but it's not on any of the streaming services I'm able to use at the mo. But A Silent Voice is really really good, it's on Netflix at the moment if you ever fancy a watch.

Actually good to know because I didn't see it on Amazon to rent.  Probably will get to it this weekend.

*EDIT* Crap, it's not actually available on the USA Netflix.  That's a bummer.  I can't even buy the anime on Amazon normally.  I'm surprised it's this hard to watch the thing as it was a rather big movie for the time.  Not quite Your Name big, but still pretty notable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:14:37 am by kamikazekeeg »