Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280319 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1470 on: November 01, 2018, 05:49:05 pm »

Watched this too. It was absolutely amazing. My 3 criticisms is that it feels too rushed, Death was nowhere to be found, and Dracula's true form was nowhere to be found either.

I'm not a Castlevania fan, so that stuff never bothered me, but I could see more of that coming if they continue the series past Season 3.  I never really got "rushed" from the season, though honestly, I could've done with an episode removed.  Felt like at one point that everyone was just stalled, with the heroes in the basement and the vampires at the castle while they spent time exploring backstories or doing vampire "Game of Thrones".  Either remove an episode or two for a snappier experience or add an episode or two to really go all in story wise and add some more action.  At least it didn't drag in the long run like a lot of the Marvel tv shows tend to with too many episodes.

shfan

« Reply #1471 on: November 03, 2018, 06:19:20 pm »
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

My wife was waxing lyrical about this one when she came back from the cinema, i thought it sounded good, we weren't wrong :D As someone who detests pointless remakes it was a real pleasure to see a film which was not only good on its own merits, but was also a glowing use of the basic concept of Jumanji. Well impressed.

pizzasafari

« Reply #1472 on: November 03, 2018, 09:22:31 pm »
Watched all of Citrus today, never thought I'd get into a lesbian romance anime of all things but I surprisingly enjoyed it. I really liked Yuzu, I found myself relating to her in a lot of ways. No homo. She reacted to most things the same way I would so I was like YEEAH! THIS GIRL!

« Reply #1473 on: November 04, 2018, 08:45:49 am »
The end of my October Movie marathon was the following two movies:

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich
Not as good as I was hoping, based on the trailer, but still probably the best Puppet Master film.  It's a complete reboot, so don't expect to know where is going to be going on when you start.  There's one death that I think was legitimately going to far, and the tone is all over the place.  It's worth a look, but don't expect too much out of it.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live: The Brain
The MST3K live show was here in Nashville on Halloween night.  Killer material the whole way through, and the movie itself was a classic disaster of Canadian production.  The brain itself its actually kind of a neat design?  Still, had a great time.

Last night I finished my rewatch of the entire Babylon 5 series proper.  I've still got some of the spin-off material to still get through, but the main series is over, and dammit if I don't still love it, flaws and all.

« Reply #1474 on: November 06, 2018, 01:01:24 am »

This movie seems to get a lot of shit, not entirely unfairly, but I think this is totally a watchable action movie.  The writing isn't that great, it's not really the story anyone wanted with us finally getting a movie set during the war, it's stupidly PG-13 (I'm still dumbfounded that T3 is actually R-rated) but what we got isn't that bad.  I'd watch this any day over T3 and probably Genisys, which I'll be getting to soon.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1475 on: November 06, 2018, 09:37:13 am »
This movie seems to get a lot of shit, not entirely unfairly, but I think this is totally a watchable action movie.  The writing isn't that great, it's not really the story anyone wanted with us finally getting a movie set during the war, it's stupidly PG-13 (I'm still dumbfounded that T3 is actually R-rated) but what we got isn't that bad.  I'd watch this any day over T3 and probably Genisys, which I'll be getting to soon.

I saw this in theatres and I had the same reaction. I was really surprised everyone I spoke with absolutely hated this movie. The movie was no masterpiece, but it was a decent action flick. 
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #1477 on: November 08, 2018, 05:56:52 pm »

I haven't watched Salvation since it first came out on DVD, but remember it being decent. T3 I don't remember fondly at all; I actually considered watching T3 again, but after watching a Decker Shadow review of it I was reminded why I haven't watched it in years. But yeah, I wouldn't mind rewatching Salvation again at some point. Unfortunately each time I watch Genisys I like it less and less.

« Reply #1478 on: November 08, 2018, 06:46:21 pm »
I haven't watched Salvation since it first came out on DVD, but remember it being decent. T3 I don't remember fondly at all; I actually considered watching T3 again, but after watching a Decker Shadow review of it I was reminded why I haven't watched it in years. But yeah, I wouldn't mind rewatching Salvation again at some point. Unfortunately each time I watch Genisys I like it less and less.

I only saw Genisys in theaters and I probably only hate it as much as I do, specifically because of their garbage marketing campaign.  The movie wasn't great, but if they had surprised people with John Connor being turned into a Terminator, that would have been a very interesting story turning point, but no, they showed it off in all the advertisements and posters.  Sure, that wouldn't matter for repeat viewings, but that made me real mad when I watched it the first time.

« Reply #1479 on: November 09, 2018, 08:07:10 am »

I saw this in theatres and I had the same reaction. I was really surprised everyone I spoke with absolutely hated this movie. The movie was no masterpiece, but it was a decent action flick.

I personally saw it in theaters and hated it.  Everyone I was with hated it.  It's bland, generally derivative, unimaginative, Christian Bale is actually kind of terrible in it.  This was third movie in about 4-5 months where Sam Worthington's character's defining trait was "having a strong heart".  The only memorable thing I can thing of from the film is the highway chase sequence.  I've not seen Genisys yet, but I have a feeling this one will look better in hindsight.

Not a big fan of 3 either, but at least the action sequences there are all pretty top notch.

I finished Castlevania Season 2 last night.  It was great.  Episode 7 cemented it as easily the greatest video game adaptation of all time.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1480 on: November 09, 2018, 12:54:45 pm »

Still the greatest horror movie ever made, as far as I'm concerned. George Romero's vision of the bleak, zombie-infested world is at it's darkest here, and the people are showing the signs of breaking from surviving in such a world.

This one is set deep down in a secret underground military facility where a group of ragtag soldiers are protecting a secret cabal of scientists trying to search for answers to the zombie problem. The world is completely overrun with zombies. They are unsure if they are the last pocket of humanity (but in the movie itself a scientist hypothesizes that there must be some other pockets out there such as themselves). At this point supplies, ammunition, and even men are starting to run low, and people's limits are being tested. With one side having a scientific purpose, and the military side trying to pull away in a desperate attempt to survive; soon the two sides come to head while the zombie apocalypse reigns down upon them in the goriest Tom Savini fashion you can feast your eyes on! (Captain Rhodes getting deservingly ripped apart is still the bloodiest damn thing I've seen on film.)

If you like zombies and haven't seen this yet, shame on you. This is a MUST-WATCH for zombie fans!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:56:40 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1481 on: November 14, 2018, 08:53:46 pm »

I wanted a big dumb shark movie, and I got it! It's actually a pretty fun time and being a big budget movie, it looks great.  Much like zombie movies, there's a million shark movies, but very few are actually good. Jaws kicked it all off, but after that, the only one I liked to any degree was Deep Blue Sea, and other than The Meg, there aren't any other good ones that I know of or have seen.  That's like 50 years of shark movies, but I'd be lucky to count good shark flicks on like one hand.  I guess Jaws 2? Maybe? It's honestly been too long lol

Every once in awhile, it's time to watch a historical drama of some sort, and figured I'd check out Outlaw King.  Set after the events popularized in Braveheart, Scottish Lords surrendered afterwards, but this didn't last long until swords were taken up again, lead by Robert the Bruce.  Couldn't tell you if this was accurate at all, a quick read says otherwise, but I think it's an overall good drama.  Might feel like it starts abit slow, but it really picks up about half way through as the warfare takes off and its pretty good the rest of the way through.  Real solid final battle scene too.  Overall a good watch if you like movies such as this.

Went all in on movies tonight and ended the night with one hell of a film.  Starring some guys from the Raid films, what is here is very similar to those films, but basically ramping it up another level.  That same raw, gritty, martial arts violence, but it's at grindhouse levels here I think with the amount of blood and gore going on.  People hacked up, faces smashed, blown to literal bits, it's all played seriously, but it gets ridiculous.  This level of violence and how it's trying to be real stylish at times with a synthy soundtrack does basically set it apart, though I feel like I prefer the Raid films due to how blunt they were, especially the first one.  If you like that stuff and want a real crazy and violent action film, definitely watch it as it's on Netflix.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:54:14 am by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1483 on: November 15, 2018, 01:08:19 pm »
They Live (VHS)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Live

"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."

And VHS is the proper way to view this one, brother!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:05:06 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1484 on: November 15, 2018, 07:56:45 pm »
butchered it!!!

I also liked "The Golden Rule. He who has the gold makes the rule".