Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275914 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1800 on: June 02, 2020, 01:31:07 pm »
You dropped your image, and I have no clue what you are talking about lol

« Reply #1801 on: June 02, 2020, 05:02:19 pm »
There we go, fixed it, I screwed it up when I went back to try and center it, but should be fine now, also I realized I forgot to put the title in my post.

« Reply #1802 on: June 03, 2020, 09:21:20 am »
There we go, fixed it, I screwed it up when I went back to try and center it, but should be fine now, also I realized I forgot to put the title in my post.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what it was because t sounded interesting.  It's a movie that has been popping up on my radar recently.  I'll try and check it out soon.

pzeke

« Reply #1803 on: June 07, 2020, 01:16:21 pm »
I've seen a bunch of shit over the past few months...

Chasing Mavericks
Batman
Batman Returns
Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Léon: The Professional - Never gets old.
The Book of Eli
The Revenant - Superb.
Ted 2
Taken 3
The Fault in Our Stars
The Departed - The tenth or so time I've watched this movie; it has quite possibly one of the most satisfying endings...
Let's Be Cops
Jack Reacher
Free State of Jones
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
The Martian
Hidden Figures
Gran Torino - Love this movie.
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
World War Z
Man on Fire (2004)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - aka Fantasy X-Men.
Spy
X-Men: Apocalypse - Meh.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
War of the Planet of the Apes
American Sniper
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Justice League - Blërg.
Wonder Woman - Wonderful! /prof-oak-pkmnsnap-voice.wav
Baywatch - This movie tries too hard...
Fury - Love it!
Warcraft - Laughably bad.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1804 on: June 07, 2020, 09:38:07 pm »

After watching "The Vast of Night", I got in the mood for that kinda casual scifi/alien movie mystery, so I thought of some other ones and initially I had "Contact" mixed up with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, so I watched Close Encounters and I'll watch Contact either later tonight or tomorrow.

I hadn't seen Close Encounters in forever, I barely remembered it other than the mash potato molding (And mostly because of the movie Canadian Bacon lol) and the song with the lights towards the end, so it was a pretty reasonable watch.  I'm not sure if I really loved the movie, it has some odd stuff about it.  For one, this movie is basically "Loud Noises the Movie", there are a number of scenes where people are just constantly talking over each other or yelling at each other and its such a weird watch because of it.  Also Dreyfus comes across as kind of an ass in this with his characters journey through the film, going to weird places with him, but Dreyfus is good in the role.

Otherwise the effects are pretty cool, the little space ships flying around, the stuff they do when the ship wreaks havoc on the house and the final mother ship at the end.  It's a good movie, though even with the length of the movie, I felt like I could've used more out of the film, especially abit of an epilogue and it just kinda ends out of nowhere with no real conclusion.  Can't say I'll ever watch it again, but I'm fine with the movie.

Couldn't sleep, so went through Contact and it was abit different than I remember.  When it comes to these types of scifi movies, I really enjoy the mystery, the journey, the problem solving, it gets me invested in the story.  Contact is about half that, with the major middle section of the movie being about politics, religion, and a few other things, and that was where the movie was kinda losing me.  It all works within the movie, I'm not saying its bad, but to me that stuff is just way less interesting than dealing with the science and mechanics of everything.  I also sorta hate one of the story twists before the finale section that I won't specifically talk about, but its a turn that just feels unnecessary to the greater story.  I don't know, maybe I'm wrong on that, but it comes off a tad odd to me.

It's still a solid watch, though like with Close Encounters, the movies haven't quite hit the scifi itch I've wanted throughout the entire movie...I kinda think I'll keep looking for something else scifi related that is similar.  Another that I feel would be close would be Arrival from 2016, but that one I saw a few years ago and remember it being good and I'm trying to find stuff I haven't seen or don't remember a lot about.  Might also dip away from the general first contact stuff into maybe stuff like The Martian or Interstellar. 

Anyone else got recommendations that sorta hit into this general scifi or what I've seen called as "Speculative Fiction".  Like it can have aliens and such in it, but I'm not looking for like Avatar (something I plan to rewatch soon) or Independence Day, that type of alien action/adventure flick, more dealing with scientific or engineering aspects dealing with first contact or space missions and the like.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 05:09:31 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1805 on: June 09, 2020, 04:15:06 pm »
I love The Martian, and have been meaning to rewatch it lately, so maybe give it a shot.

Watched Collateral for the first time in well over a decade.  Still a well-made, very taught thriller.  Good watch.

What About Bob? for the first time in probably 25 years.  It's still a funny a movie, but the entire premise is kind of weird - there's no way a psychiatrist's wife would be ok with an obviously unstable patient tracking them down while on vacation - no matter how well intentioned.

pzeke

« Reply #1806 on: June 14, 2020, 12:17:03 am »
Yeah, The Martian is good. I'm always a sucker when it comes to any movie with Jeff Daniels in it, which reminds me I should watch Paper Man already.

Adding to the list above, I forgot to mention The Accountant. It was okay, but to be honest, and I don't know how to describe it, but stories involving autism don't jive with me, especially when they make characters with it be like some kind of indigo or something akin to it. This is one of the reasons I can't stand the show Bones; the way the main character behaves is beyond irritable - no-one behaves like that in real life...or is as scientifically included as she is for that matter.

I digress, who cares.

Other stuff I saw recently:

John Wick (again) - Cool movie and all, but if I'm being honest, wouldn't have worked or had the same success had Keanu not been the lead.
XXX: Return of Xander Cage - Pure Snorlax.
Maze Runner: The Death Cure - Teresa could've jumped on to the ship, she had time. Overall, I didn't really like these films.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:33:51 am by pzeke »

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #1807 on: June 14, 2020, 02:43:06 am »

I hadn't seen Cloverfield since it first was shown in theater and I remember not having the best time with it.  I remember it being too dark and because it's all shaky cam, it was sorta hard to watch, but that could've just been a theater issue at the time.  Never went back to it till now, but figured I'd grab it for my giant monster movie collection since it was on a good sale and only costs a little more to buy than to rent.  Same with Peter Jackson's King Kong I'm grabbing on blu ray right now lol

While it's a better watch now than it was back then, I really don't think the found footage thing works out very well.  Some stuff is kinda hard to watch, though it's not all terrible.  Functionally I think the movie works, I like the idea of just solely a movie from the point of view of a regular person on the ground amid a giant monster attack.  There's no cutaways to a bigger story, it works as a narrative and because it's a short movie, it doesn't feel like it drags too much, and there are some good scenes.

That said, I am not very big on it, not sure if I'll ever watch it again.  I'm bummed they never went back to do anything more with this movie and give us a proper sequel.  We did get 10 Cloverfield Lane, a fantastic movie that is set in the world, but not about the giant monster, and then another movie that I believe was never meant to be a Cloverfield film (The Cloverfield Paradox), just one they kinda renamed and redid to make it work and sorta explain the appearance of these creatures, but it wasn't very good.  I'm still kinda hoping JJ Abrams goes back to do a proper sequel someday because the monster is cool and I'm sure they could do something neat that isn't a found footage film.

Been meaning to watch 1917 since it showed as I like a good war movie, and in particular WW1 films are quite rare, I'm not sure if I've seen one or not and in particular such a stripped down war film with this kind of narrow focus.  So often war movies are about the scope of the great battle, but this one is very narrow, following two soldiers as they race across a war torn battlefield to stop an ambush from killing 1600 men.  It's incredibly well done with some very impressive camera work and it's all done to simulate a single shot with clever editing and it works very well. 

Can't really say much more on it, it's just a real good film.  Probably gonna watch Dunkirk next as I've been meaning to watch that one too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:34:42 am by kamikazekeeg »

pzeke

« Reply #1808 on: June 14, 2020, 09:38:12 am »
Cloverfield is a joke. Even more is those that say it's on par with any Godzilla movie. Don't get me started with those that worship that dumb-looking, crab mutant of a monster. Get the fuck outta here!

I've also been meaning to watch both 1917 and Dunkirk. I'm a sucker for war movies, so I feel I will definitely like them. Out of the top of my head, I'd recommend Saving Private Ryan, Unbroken, and Hacksaw Ridge. Not sure if you've seen any, but they're great. Really worth the watch.

Anyway, I keep remembering shit I've watched in the past few months...

A Walk Among the Tombstones - Not hard to follow; it's an overall good flick.
Dumb and Dumber To - I honestly liked it, but it's nowhere near the first one. The magic isn't there...

« Reply #1809 on: June 17, 2020, 01:24:13 pm »
I watched The Duellists at the weekend.

Excellent. I really enjoyed the subtlety of it. I think it might end up in my all time top 20. 9/10

pzeke

« Reply #1810 on: June 21, 2020, 11:12:51 am »
Finally saw Black Panther, which is a character that I've always liked, and thankfully the movie did it justice; I will, however, sound like a broken record echoing what others have said in regards to the CGI - it's hit or miss. Some of it looked cool, but there were instances where the effects felt like they came straight out of a video game and it took me away from the movie. Great movie nonetheless, but hopefully they'll improve the CGI for Black Panther 2.

« Reply #1811 on: June 25, 2020, 02:00:30 pm »
Kill Bill, Vol. 1
Last Action Hero

« Reply #1812 on: July 01, 2020, 04:43:10 am »

Been awhile, got sidetracked with gaming stuff and some other films, but back on the Marvel marathon, which starts up with Avengers: Age of Ultron.  This is one of the few MCU films I don't remember quite as well, other than I know it doesn't have the best reputation, but it has James Spader and I love listening to him talk.  It's generally considered the weakest of the Avenger films, which is probably fair when looking at the others.  It is abit slow at times and the dialogue has it's "Whedon" moments for better or worse, but I'm good with the film.  The beginning is entertaining enough, I totally dig that Hulk fight, and the truck chase is cool.  The final battle is cool to, getting all of them working together is always great and it's not like this is the worst of the MCU films at all.

And to cap off Phase 2, it's Ant-Man up next.

Couldn't sleep, so finished out Phase 2 with Ant-Man.  While this one isn't anywhere near my favorites, it's definitely a fun movie, the visuals in particular standing out as it just feels so creative with what they do and some great timing.  Also this was the first time they did that de-aging CG for Michael Douglas and man it holds up still very well, it's impressive.  Definitely an enjoyable time, Paul Rudd is great, and it's off to Phase 3 now.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:48:45 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1813 on: July 01, 2020, 11:01:30 am »

Don's Plum is a movie that never got released because of a lawsuit from Leo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire.  It was shot in 95-96.  It's pretty terrible, but worth a watch, especially alongside reading about the behind the scenes drama.

The first 30 minutes or so are actually not awful.  It's a decent adaptation of the cartoon, with some ok ideas, but then it suddenly has a  dueling farts sequence, and its all downhill from there.

« Reply #1814 on: July 07, 2020, 05:04:22 pm »
I watched all 8 Harry Potter movies over the weekend.  I'd been wanting to rewatch them for a while - and first watch on about half of them for the GF - but with all the garbage that Rowling has been spewing lately I felt like we needed to get it done before she really put her foot in her mouth.  We didn't quote beat that self-imposed deadline, but we did knock all the movie out.  The first two are probably the worst in the franchise, but I forgot just how dang delightful they are.  3-7 are all really solid, but I have some pretty big niggles about Deathly Hallows Part 2.  Several of the changes made to the Battle of Hogwarts from the book are for the worst.  Still had a good time!