Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280180 times)

Flashback2012

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1860 on: January 01, 2021, 05:52:43 am »
Saw WW84 on Sunday. It wasn't very good.  :P

Since this is a VG related forum, I spotted an anachronistic Easter Egg in the movie. During the mall scene, they show kids in an arcade playing games. One game being played is Operation Wolf, a game that wasn't released until 1987.  ;D

« Reply #1861 on: January 04, 2021, 03:07:50 pm »
Saw WW84 on Sunday. It wasn't very good.  :P

Yeah, the more I think about it the less I like it.

I watched Sexy Beast for the first time since about 2002.  Ben Kingsley is electrifying in it.  You can't take your eyes off him from the moment he shows up on screen.

« Reply #1862 on: January 04, 2021, 04:18:11 pm »
Watched WW1984 a couple days ago and I would rate it a 5/10.  It felt like a worse version of the 2000's Spiderman.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:45:51 pm by 98dgreen »

pzeke

« Reply #1863 on: January 05, 2021, 08:52:55 am »
Watched WW1984 a couple days and I would rate it a 5/10.  It felt like a worse version of the 2000's Spiderman.

What? How exactly do you mean? Sure, they both have cringe-worthy moments (one more than the other), but they're entirely different in many respects; the former, I believe, tries too hard to be serious, while the latter happens to be campy with serious undertones. If anything, WW84 is more like Superman III, basically fluttering above Superman IV with its cheesiness.

I'd like to note here that, other than reading the Wikipedia page, I haven't seen WW84, but if the movie is anything like the trailers showed, then no thanks; I think I would have a much better time watching Suicide Squad.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1864 on: January 06, 2021, 03:12:44 pm »
Watched WW1984 a couple days and I would rate it a 5/10.  It felt like a worse version of the 2000's Spiderman.

What? How exactly do you mean? Sure, they both have cringe-worthy moments (one more than the other), but they're entirely different in many respects; the former, I believe, tries too hard to be serious, while the latter happens to be campy with serious undertones. If anything, WW84 is more like Superman III, basically fluttering above Superman IV with its cheesiness.

I'd like to note here that, other than reading the Wikipedia page, I haven't seen WW84, but if the movie is anything like the trailers showed, then no thanks; I think I would have a much better time watching Suicide Squad.
WW1984 takes itself too seriously minus a couple scenes in the first half.  I have never seen Superman III or IV so that could be a more apt comparison. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1865 on: January 06, 2021, 03:54:11 pm »

Watching Equilibrium.

This is still an amazing film. It's a shame that it lived in the shadow of and was compared to The Matrix. It deserved more attention.

Deep, thought-provoking story. Great cast. Great atmosphere. And cool fight scenes, to boot.

So many clues that you catch more and more after each viewing. Christian Bale was sense-offending long before even he realized it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:40:27 pm by burningdoom »

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1866 on: January 06, 2021, 04:01:50 pm »
Yesterday I watched a couple episodes of the Danish war series: 1864.
 It's about the Second Schleswig War of 1864.
Highly recommended!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #1867 on: January 06, 2021, 04:52:15 pm »

Watching Equilibrium.

This is still an amazing film. It's a shame that it lived in the shadow of and was compared to The Matrix. It deserved more attention.

Deep, thought-provoking story. Great cast. Great atmosphere. And cool fight scenes, to boot.

So many clues that you catch more and more after each viewing. Christian Bale was sense-offending long before even he realized it.

I loved this movie, use to watch it a ton back in the day.

« Reply #1868 on: January 06, 2021, 04:57:07 pm »

It is closer in tone to those Superman sequels, but I think the Spider-Man comparisons (this is not the first one I've seen) are from the fact that she spends a lot of time swinging around on her lasso like it is webbing.

pzeke

« Reply #1869 on: January 07, 2021, 08:21:12 am »
Okay, that makes sense. To be fair, though, I believe she used to do that in the comics back in the day.

I actually ended up seeing the movie shortly after my last post, and truly I have nothing to say other than it's very average. Although, going through it in my mind as I type this, I still believe the movie takes itself too seriously, with certain exception as noted by 98dgreen, and also think the movie could've existed without Barbara, because, considering she's supposed to be Wonder Woman's "Joker", she was underwhelming and poorly developed. The first movie is by no means a masterpiece, but it's definitely much better. I have to say, though, as someone who read and enjoyed Kingdom Come, it was quite a treat seeing the golden armor.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1870 on: January 11, 2021, 11:41:27 am »
Watched the classic version of The Wizard of Oz for the first time in probably 20 years last night.  It's still rightfully a classic, but its one of those movies where what everyone remembers is the good stuff, so there are some moments and scenes/songs that everyone just kind of forgets because they aren't as good as the rest of the movie.  Still an all time classic, and probably a 9/10,

« Reply #1871 on: January 12, 2021, 09:23:42 am »
The Nice Guys - So funny, and they clearly both work so well together. Highly recommended -- 9/10

« Reply #1872 on: January 27, 2021, 06:06:48 am »
Life - 8/10
Similar to Alien - Really enjoyed this one

« Reply #1873 on: January 27, 2021, 06:22:22 am »
Sound of Metal - Currently my favorite movie of 2020.  Really incredible.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - Terrific performances, but I couldn't shake that melodramatic stage play-to-screen feeling that happens when one of these movies gets made.  Chadwick is probably winning an Oscar, and I won't disagree, but the whole thing felt like it was missing something.

Flashback2012

« Reply #1874 on: January 27, 2021, 09:39:26 am »
I didn't want to go digging around for the "Added to Other Collections" thread but I recently found a couple of DVDs at Half Price Books that I couldn't leave behind (even though I've largely moved onto Blu Ray and 4K Blu Ray).

I had heard about this series but never got into it so I'm eager to give these a watch. The mechanical designs were done by Shoji Kawamori who I met at a convention YEARS ago so the ships and what not will have a familiar feel to them.  ;)