Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279684 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2070 on: January 06, 2022, 02:21:22 pm »
The Irishman. 9/10. Seriously enjoyed this.

« Reply #2071 on: January 08, 2022, 09:06:11 am »
Scream - The greatest mystery slasher of all time.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2072 on: January 08, 2022, 10:55:46 am »

No way. Friday the 13th was the greatest. Tourist Trap was another great one. The Prowler was damn good, too. You can hardly take Scream seriously, since the movie doesn't take itself seriously.

« Reply #2073 on: January 08, 2022, 02:53:37 pm »

No way. Friday the 13th was the greatest. Tourist Trap was another great one. The Prowler was damn good, too. You can hardly take Scream seriously, since the movie doesn't take itself seriously.

I'd put Ft13th at a strong number 2, but Scream just has a sharper script and more memorable characters.  And I disagree about it not taking itself seriously.  It takes itself very seriously (aside from the "Not you, Fred" joke), it's just that the characters don't take the situation seriously (there's a whole scene of Principal Himbry reaming two kids because they are making light of the whole situation), and that is as a direct result of having been raised on the films the movie itself is making reference to.  Also, Craven is just a much better director than Cunningham - though I do think his skill is often overlooked when discussing Ft13 as a whole.

Scream 2 - Held up better than I expected.  It doesn't have the pitch perfect pacing of the first (it's only about 5 minutes longer, but feels like it is 20 minutes longer), and the third act is a bit messy because of the late game rewrites, but overall it is a solid as hell sequel that builds upon the world of the first instead of deciding to go in a oddball direction, like so many other first sequels do.

Scream 3 - What a mess. There is some good here - Neve is great, as always and the opening is solid. Unfortunately it's just overstuffed, has all the subtlety of a brick, and twists itself in knots trying to be clever.

Scream 4 - The broad humor keeps this from being as good as it could be. The Keystone Cops don't work at all, and I still don't know how I feel about the Russian doll opening. Otherwise, it's solid as hell and Craven directs the shit out of it. Most underrated entry in the franchise.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:29:40 am by Cartagia »

tripredacus

« Reply #2074 on: January 10, 2022, 11:52:25 am »
Decided to finally watch the Dragon Ball Z DVDs I have. All season box sets except Season 7. I had already watched all the singular VHS and DVD I had before, but I had not watched the box sets.

« Reply #2075 on: January 12, 2022, 05:28:51 pm »
Hotel Transylvania - Fine enough way to waste an afternoon, I guess.

Scream (2022) - Avoiding spoilers, it's probably the third best in series.  Really good, but not quite great.  Maybe the second best opening and finale after the original. Gets a bit lost in the middle, though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:22:12 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2076 on: January 16, 2022, 07:54:55 pm »
Finch - Maybe it's because I had tempered expectations, but I was totally charmed by this.

The Eyes of Tammy Faye - Firecracker of a performance from Chastain and a tremendous directorial effort from Showalter.  Just wish the script was a couple of screw turns tighter.  It's not bad at all, but it falls into the same biopic hole we've seen dozens of times in the last two decades.

No Sudden Move - Was honestly more interesting when not much was happening.  The conspiracy stuff was kinda boring.

The Tragedy of Macbeth - It's Macbeth with Denzel.  Pretty solid stuff.

Bad Trip - Narrative prank film, like Borat, but with Eric Andre and not mean spirited. I laughed a lot.

Fist of Fury - Bruce Lee rules the school in this one.

Love and Monsters - More weird monster movies, please.

Raising Arizona - The Coens' second movie.  How were they that good already?

O Brother, Where Art Thou? More Coen greatness.

Tickled - Speechless.  What the actual hell?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:49:31 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2077 on: January 27, 2022, 03:24:48 am »
Megazone23

« Reply #2078 on: January 28, 2022, 08:52:42 pm »
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - The action sequences are the only thing that make this worthwhile.

Panic Room - Might be Fincher's worst, but it still kicks ass.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 10:50:56 pm by Cartagia »

telekill

« Reply #2079 on: January 30, 2022, 09:29:24 am »
I'm not big into anime but am anticipating the Shenmue release that's coming up. I won't bother to sub to a new service to watch the one show so I'll be waiting for it to come out on disc. I'll probably be waiting quite a while.

As for the last movie I watched... it was probably TMNT (2007) with my son. Big Ninja Turtles fans. Last movie theater experience was the newer Matrix movie. It was decent.

« Reply #2080 on: February 05, 2022, 05:55:04 pm »
Jackass Forever - A whole lotta penises in this one.

Inside Llewyn Davis - Another Coen masterpiece.

Blind Fury - A healthy serving of action cheese.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 10:41:16 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2081 on: February 07, 2022, 08:11:05 pm »

Glad to finally see Ghostbusters Afterlife and gotta say that I had some fun with it.  Way, WAY, better than the 2016 reboot, this one actually feels like a proper movie rather than an improv skit that felt closer to Anchorman than it did Ghostbusters.  A lot of the vibe is kinda that 80's adventure comedy stuff, Goonies, Gremlins, Ghostbusters of course (Makes sense that Finn is in this lol), and it might lean abit too much into the Ghostbusters 1 nostalgia, but I just had fun with it. It seems to be a direct sequel to Ghostbusters 1 in particular, seemingly ignoring Ghostbusters 2 as far as I can tell.

My only complaints are that it felt abit rushed towards the climax.  Not too spoil anything, but bad things happen, as it would, and there should've been more ghostbusting going on, which there isn't enough of.  Feels like there's a good 10 minutes of movie missing right before the finale to me, not sure if it was budgetary, things were cut maybe, but I was fine with the movie up till that point where it felt like the pacing got weird for a few minutes.

Otherwise, it's a good time.  Do recommend.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2082 on: February 07, 2022, 09:30:39 pm »
Howard the Duck

Just as weird as I remembered as a kid, but you do get to see Lea Thompson in her underwear  8)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2083 on: February 09, 2022, 12:38:54 pm »
Watched Superman Unbound.

This was one of the better DC Animated Movies, IMO. Different style animation than the Timmverse stuff, but it was cool. He fights Brainiac in it and Supergirl is in it. Good action, and interesting story and charactrization.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 12:41:01 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #2084 on: February 11, 2022, 10:02:21 am »
CODA - Standard "Kid has to find their place in the world" flick, that is made interesting by the familial dynamics, which is that the whole family is deaf, except for the lead.  Well executed, and an intriguing gimmick lets it be better than this type of fare normal is.

Blood Simple - The Coen Bros. first film is a bit sloppier than everything that comes after, but it is a hell of a debut.