Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279177 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2013, 04:16:26 pm »
What burningdoom said. Part of what makes Sin City work is by not placing it in any one historical context, which allows the setting to blend elements from old pulp novels, film noir, martial arts, classic cars, 70's exploitation, etc. It's about as postmodern as it gets.

htimreimer

« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2013, 04:52:55 pm »
last night i watched sin city and it's not as good as everyone says is, it's not terrible film but it dose have one major flaw that no one talks about,
it explains almost nothing about it's world and how it runs, i dont even know what year this movie supposed to take's place in.  i'm supposed to be immersed in the world of sin city but that cant happen when the movie doesn't like to explain its self

It's a fictional tale, it really doesn't matter what year it takes place. They aren't shooting for historical accuracy.
i'm looking for historical accuracy here but there is a part in the movie ware one of the characters is in jail and he telling us how much time has gone by and it like they were trying to set up a time frame but forgot add the year that this movie take place in. there's other parts in this movie that never get explained

desocietas

« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2013, 11:01:33 pm »
last night i watched sin city and it's not as good as everyone says is, it's not terrible film but it dose have one major flaw that no one talks about,
it explains almost nothing about it's world and how it runs, i dont even know what year this movie supposed to take's place in.  i'm supposed to be immersed in the world of sin city but that cant happen when the movie doesn't like to explain its self

It's a fictional tale, it really doesn't matter what year it takes place. They aren't shooting for historical accuracy.
i'm looking for historical accuracy here but there is a part in the movie ware one of the characters is in jail and he telling us how much time has gone by and it like they were trying to set up a time frame but forgot add the year that this movie take place in. there's other parts in this movie that never get explained

Yeah, like the others said, I think it's more of a mood that they're trying to set, not pinpointing any particular year.  It's also a nostalgic look at a particular time, and nostalgia is not usually rooted in truth.

I don't think you'll really be able to look for historical accuracy in that one since it's not a period piece film.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2013, 12:21:36 am »
I just saw 2 movies. Rise of the apes and Hangover II.

Apes - kind of blah all the way through til the very end and then it just ends. Not anywhere as nifty as commercials made it look

Hangover - Lots of seriously funny parts. Just as good as the first. Shockingly a 3rd was just announced a couple days ago too. Hopefully its the last cause that cant continue. :)

brunauss

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2013, 04:23:55 am »
Olympus Has Fallen. Absolutely a treat to watch. The only complaint was the catalyst element in the beginning. Not very believable.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

htimreimer

« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2013, 05:56:06 am »
i've seen iron man 3 and its fun but vary flawed, overall it was vary underwhelming. 6 out of 10

what i think about the other iron man movies

iron man: its an above average action movie that serves its purpose as an origin story vary well. 7 out of 10

iron man 2: a little too much time in the editing room made this movie mediocre at best. 5 out of 10
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:18:40 am by htimreimer »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2013, 11:41:13 pm »
Iron Man 3.

Good movie, but I'm SEVERLY disappointed with The Mandarin. One of the coolest villains in the Marvel Universe, IMO, and Iron Man's arch nemesis, and they completely screw it up. As bad as Dr. Doom in the Fantastic Four movie, as far as I'm concerned.

They better do Thanos right in Avengers 2.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2013, 06:26:52 pm »
Just got back from Star Trek: Into Darkness. AWESOME! I loved it! Much better than the first one. More emotion and meaning behind all that fabulous action, which made it all mean so much more than it did in the first film, IMO. If you've been questioning whether to go see it or not, definetly go see it!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2013, 01:34:19 am »
My dad showed me an episode of the old black & white movie serial "Captain Video and his Video Rangers". About as cheesy as it can possibly get. But that kind of gave it a likable charm that made it bearable to watch:

Whenever the aliens (the guys in leather armor and helmets) showed up, the camera had a red tint, because of course they were in a different atmosphere on a different planet.

The scenes with the rocket in it, were hand-drawn animation, lol. And every line was given with the emotional impact of this guy from the Dry Eyes commercials:

tripredacus

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2013, 12:57:26 pm »
Dead Alive. The goriest movie I may have ever seen.

brunauss

« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »
My dad showed me an episode of the old black & white movie serial "Captain Video and his Video Rangers". About as cheesy as it can possibly get. But that kind of gave it a likable charm that made it bearable to watch:

Whenever the aliens (the guys in leather armor and helmets) showed up, the camera had a red tint, because of course they were in a different atmosphere on a different planet.

The scenes with the rocket in it, were hand-drawn animation, lol. And every line was given with the emotional impact of this guy from the Dry Eyes commercials:

The inspiration for the character Captain Proton in Star Trek: Voyager. Awesome.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:10 pm »

The inspiration for the character Captain Proton in Star Trek: Voyager. Awesome.

You win points just for knowing that! I thought everyone but me hated Voyager.

htimreimer

« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2013, 03:25:28 pm »
every line was given with the emotional impact of this guy from the Dry Eyes commercials:

you mean ben stein

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2013, 08:43:03 pm »
I just got back from Man of Steel with my dad for Father's day. It was stunning, action-packed, had ton of amazing special effects, and a helluva of story. It was simply astonishing.

You HAVE to go see this movie. I think Henry Cavill just became this generation's Superman. I daresay it was even better than Avengers.

The one and only complaint I had about it is: What was with the shaky camera? For high-energy action scenes, it makes sense, but it was shaky even in scenes that was nothing more than talking heads. Could we not afford a tripod?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:29 pm »
The Superman: Unbound animated movie.

Meh, whatever. It was average.