Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280001 times)

pacpix

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #540 on: July 13, 2014, 04:21:31 am »
Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I'm a bit mixed on this one.  Overall I would say I enjoyed the movie, especially after reading online afterwards to better understand it, but at times the movie felt too slow.  I thought the best part was the Jupiter mission, I particularly liked the HAL character/computer.   I am glad that I watched it and the plot is definitely interesting, but I have no desire to watch the movie again in the near future.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #541 on: July 13, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »
Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I'm a bit mixed on this one.  Overall I would say I enjoyed the movie, especially after reading online afterwards to better understand it, but at times the movie felt too slow.  I thought the best part was the Jupiter mission, I particularly liked the HAL character/computer.   I am glad that I watched it and the plot is definitely interesting, but I have no desire to watch the movie again in the near future.

Let me start off by saying Arthur C. Clarke is one of my all-time favorite authors. Rendevous With Rama and Time's Eye are two of my favorite sci-fi novels.

That said, I thought this movie was pretentious. It was far too long and drawn-out, and seemed to be in love with itself like it thought it was the greatest movie mankind had ever witnessed. I mean did we really need a grand, 20-minute docking sequence?

pacpix

« Reply #542 on: July 13, 2014, 03:44:31 pm »
Yeah I felt like a lot of the scenes were drawn out too long.  It worked in some cases, I thought the long stretch of the movie where there is just the sound of breathing as Poole does the space walk was really cool.  Other times, like the docking sequence, I was half asleep.

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #543 on: July 13, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »
just finished the red ribbon saga on dragonball :)
really enjoying it so far. the first and second seasons were my fave so far

abe

« Reply #544 on: July 13, 2014, 09:49:09 pm »

Dragon Ball is awesome. :D There's actually some pretty great Dragon Ball games too. The two Dragon Ball Origins games on the DS are awesome, Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure is great, and I've heard good things about Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo on the Wii.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #545 on: July 13, 2014, 11:44:37 pm »

Dragon Ball is awesome. :D There's actually some pretty great Dragon Ball games too. The two Dragon Ball Origins games on the DS are awesome, Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure is great, and I've heard good things about Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo on the Wii.

i will have to pick them up when i see them.
i have a few dragonball z games.

tripredacus

« Reply #546 on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »
I watched Splice last night. The ending was supposed to be a cliffhanger I guess... or a "to be continued" but it didn't have to be.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #547 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:22 pm »
Speaking of Dragon Ball, did you guys see a new animated, Dragonball Z movie is getting a theatrical release? Limited theater release, of course. So it'll be a while before I get to see it.

Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods

Can't wait for it to get to DVD, because I know my theater won't be getting it, unfortunately.

August 5 it hits U.S. theaters.

I saw a red-haired Goku on some promo material, that didn't look like Super-Saiyan 4, either.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:28:56 pm by burningdoom »

abe

« Reply #548 on: July 14, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
Speaking of Dragon Ball, did you guys see a new animated, Dragonball Z movie is getting a theatrical release? Limited theater release, of course. So it'll be a while before I get to see it.

Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods

Can't wait for it to get to DVD, because I know my theater won't be getting it, unfortunately.

August 5 it hits U.S. theaters.

I saw a red-haired Goku on some promo material, that didn't look like Super-Saiyan 4, too.

It's been out in Japan for quite a while now. Saw it, it was pretty good actually. Not amazing, but quite enjoyable. By far the best looking Dragon Ball movie too. Visually, it looks like what everyone wanted Dragon Ball Z Kai to look like (from the fancy new opening animations). Aside from that, it's the first (and only) DBZ movie to be considered canon (it takes place during the ten-year time skip near the end of the series). That's pretty cool too.
As for the red-haired Goku, it's a form called Super Saiyan God. Not going to give away any spoilers tho.
I wish Funimation would hurry up and release a fancy Bluray edition so I can give them my money already.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #549 on: July 14, 2014, 06:27:42 pm »
Got my ticket to the theatrical release on the 5th :D I'm kinda torn on the movie, it feels more like a lost episode than a movie, because most of it is just comedic shenanigans, but I want to watch this in the theater for the ending battle scene which might possibly be some of the best in DBZ history because it's so dynamic and fresh.  I could be completely wrong about that, but I watched it and was kinda blown away that this was an action scene in a DBZ movie lol

If anything, it does look super nice, being all crisp clean new animation.  They really need to make a new series or set of movies now, especially since they've basically wrote out Dragonball GT from the show and they can do all new stuff.  The ending of the movie teases some fantastic possibilities.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:29:27 pm by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #550 on: July 17, 2014, 10:51:30 pm »

It was freaking AMAZING! Oh my god, why didn't I see this sooner?! Why did I wait for the cheap theater on this one?! And why the hell aren't more people talking about it?!!!

Easily the best super-hero movie of the year! And yes, I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past (also quite good) and Captain America 2 (enjoyable, but not as good as the hype would suggest).

The special effects were astounding. The action scenes were intense. The movie made you laugh at parts, and it damn near made me cry in other parts. The villains were quite believable, and you really felt for the poor guys in this movie. They were justified in their anger, to a degree. And oh man, I won't give it away, but such a heart-wrenching moment in there, which the movie really built-to and made you feel for these characters.

This was what a well-made super-hero film should be. Great action, great story, and it tugged at your heart-strings. It really felt like you were watching a Spider-Man comic come to life (minus the modern setting and tech, of course).

Now, all the gushing praise aside; I did have two complaints. First of all, Green Goblin felt shoe-horned in at the end, the same way Venom was at the end of Spider-Man 3. HOWEVER, that can be forgiven because the downfall of Harry Osborn leading up to it was quite believable and very well done. And it looks like they're going to continue to use him as a villain (among others) in the next Amazing Spider-Man film.

My other complaint is that when Electro finally did put on a legitimate costume, it looked completely retarded. Not every movie hero and villains should be in black leather, especially black leather with a stupid little lightning bolt on it.

Do yourself and favor, and go see this movie. You won't be disappointed if you like Spider-Man.

scott

« Reply #551 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:43 pm »
Watched Akira on Tuesday, never get tired of that movie.

Currently watching through my Neon Genesis Evangelion platinum box set.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2014, 12:27:54 pm »
started watching space dandy with my wife
that show is so funny

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #553 on: July 20, 2014, 11:52:37 pm »
I just watched the RoboCop remake. It doesn't hold a candle to the original masterpiece. Don't bother with EmoCop.

« Reply #554 on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:22 pm »
I just watched the RoboCop remake. It doesn't hold a candle to the original masterpiece. Don't bother with EmoCop.

If he was at least the right color the whole time, I might've had semi interest in it lol