Author Topic: Too Niche?  (Read 5590 times)

insektmute

Re: Too Niche?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 07:58:13 pm »
It's like a freaky Cave love connection around here :p

scott

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 08:01:58 pm »
It's like a freaky Cave love connection around here :p

You know it. I love Cave shooters, ha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:05:37 pm »
Yeah, they make fun crazy games. I still need to get some of their 360 games. Mushihimesama Futari, Espgaluda II and.... Deathsmiles II isn't region-free, is it?

scott

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:07 pm »
Deathsmiles II is locked I think. But its a digital only game on NA XBLA... so...

I still a few of the 360 shmups too...

insektmute

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »
Yeah, they make fun crazy games. I still need to get some of their 360 games. Mushihimesama Futari, Espgaluda II and.... Deathsmiles II isn't region-free, is it?

So, so worth it. Both Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 and Espgaluda II received region-free Platinum Collection releases too, so it was pretty cheap to score both.
Espgaluda II is out of stock on Play-Asia, but NCSX still has it for a little more than PA was charging - http://www.shopncsx.com/espgaludaiiblacklabelregularedition-2.aspx
Mushihimesama Futari - http://www.play-asia.com/Mushihimesama_Futari_Ver_1.5_Platinum_Collection/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-3yu5.html

Get 'em while you still can! :)

soera

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:17 pm »
Heh am I the oddball around here so simply doesnt get into shooters? I can stomach R-Type for a little while cause I think the piece that adds to the ship is neat ... but most other shooters I just cant play. Gradius and Life Force never really appealed to me. Most of the games you guys are talking about I cant even understand the name!

insektmute

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 08:39:16 pm »
Heh am I the oddball around here so simply doesnt get into shooters? I can stomach R-Type for a little while cause I think the piece that adds to the ship is neat ... but most other shooters I just cant play. Gradius and Life Force never really appealed to me. Most of the games you guys are talking about I cant even understand the name!

There are shooters like R-Type and Gradius, and then there is danmaku :)

I was never a big fan of shoot 'em ups until I played stuff like DoDonPachi, Progear no Arashi, and Armed Police Batrider on MAME. Totally blew my mind, and I've been obsessed ever since. Gigantic laser shots, hundreds of bullets on screen, frantic timing... it's just incredible stuff.

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 08:39:54 pm »

Yes you are. Shooters are amazing. Lords of Thunder!!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 09:09:14 pm »

Hey, I'm in the same boat!  Too much stuff going around on the screen - I can't focus on anything when I play those!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »
PERFECT CHERRY BLOSSOM!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 09:18:13 pm »

We're the silent majority.  :)  I liked Life Force and Gradius. It was a passing thing though. It was like an arcade game should be (to make money).  Fun for a minute and then munch your quarters.

insektmute

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »
PERFECT CHERRY BLOSSOM!

Oh man, who can possibly resist Touhou shooters?! I think Imperishable Night might be my favorite, though. So freaking insane.

soera

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 10:13:27 pm »
Okay I just watched that video .... how the hell does anyone do that? That type of game would make me want to stab kitties with rusty sporks just to relieve the frustration. I dont see how that person didnt die 1000000 times over.

sin2beta

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
Okay I just watched that video .... how the hell does anyone do that? That type of game would make me want to stab kitties with rusty sporks just to relieve the frustration. I dont see how that person didnt die 1000000 times over.

The bullet hell subgenre almost play like rhythm games if you ask me. That would be my explanation. I don't know if that makes sense or if I am alone in that feeling though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:57 pm »
It depends on the game; I think shmups like Ikaruga and DoDonPachi have very defined "correct" paths where deviation from a particular routine will result in death or a bad score, but most give you a fair bit of leeway to play as you please.