Author Topic: Electronic Gaming Monthly (early issues)  (Read 978 times)

psydswipe

Electronic Gaming Monthly (early issues)
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »
Does anyone know a way to determine the month of release on magazines that don't say? I've added a few early issues of EGM and they aren't very clear. I see someone added the first issue and it says May 1989 on it. On issue three which is the first one I have it says display until September 31, 1989. Then I have issue four which says display until November 30, 1989. So I put September on #3 and November on #4 but I don't really know if that's correct. Maybe they were not consistently releasing every month at first? I don't have issue five but I have six and that says display until January 31, 1990. Then the next issue I own is number ten which has no month on the cover at all and I can't find anything inside. Neither does issue 11. The best I can do for now is put year but they actually aren't even clear on that since the copyright inside on number ten is 1989 even though it had to have been published in 1990.

I also just noticed that they don't list in order nicely. Should I be putting a zero or two in front of the issue number? I see some others have done that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:39:03 pm by psydswipe »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Electronic Gaming Monthly (early issues)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:20:30 pm »
Look on the print page, in the fine print at the bottom of the page. It should be the first, or within the first few pages. Usually it's the page that has the magazine title, and the issue credits (Writers, Editor, etc.).

psydswipe

Re: Electronic Gaming Monthly (early issues)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:02:26 am »
Look on the print page, in the fine print at the bottom of the page. It should be the first, or within the first few pages. Usually it's the page that has the magazine title, and the issue credits (Writers, Editor, etc.).

Unfortunately I couldn't find any useful information in there on these early issues (that's where I saw the 1989 copyright on an issue I know is from well into 1990). I was hoping someplace online would have an EGM database or some sort of listing but I've not found anything.

If anyone is curious about titling I asked Scott about adding zeroes as the person who added Nintendo Power did and he thought we should for display purposes. So make all issues three digits for magazines that made it over 100 issues or are still ongoing (001, 002, 010, 099, 100, etc.). I think for any defunct magazines that didn't make it to 100 issues one zero should be enough and if a magazine didn't even make it ten issues than zeroes won't be necessary.

Edit: I found that they at least started adding the month to the cover in 1991.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:28:22 pm by psydswipe »