Author Topic: Earthbound's Back  (Read 9273 times)

Re: Earthbound's Back
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 01:44:20 am »
@sin2beta right on man, I loved the game as a child, I think I was lucky and unlucky to experience Earthbound as my first RPG, and dont get me wrong I still enjoy the game now, but I do feel as though there are better choices on the SNES RPG-wise, I mean you can take that amount of money and buy Chrono Trigger... Which I personally feel is the better game... I think what bugs me the most is that a lot of people hear such amazing things about it and expect such a great game and to me its not  amazing but good/decent. It definitley is a quirky, dark different RPG but maybe some of this is from my own experience. I paid a decent amount of money for Guardian Heroes on the saturn thinking I would love it, I love Treasure's work and I thought "hey i dont care much for beat-em-ups, but this is treasure, maybe they'll change mind." While Guardian Heroes is great, there seemed to be something missing,for me at least. It honestly took Three Dirty Dwarves to kind of change my mind about beat-em-ups. I think the same thing can happen with Earthbound but a lot of people feel as though they paid a lot ofmoney for this game so they better love it.

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
Nope would never sell my copy.. true I would like people to play it and really wouldn't mind it being lowered. But then again you don't get to fight hippies and have weird trippy effects going in and out of battle.
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33:14 am »
Nintendo of America just Tweeted:

"Earthbound will be on the Wii U Virtual Console this year #NintendoDirectNA pic.twitter.com/ba8MwdSsfV"

scott

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:34 am »
Nintendo of America just Tweeted:

"Earthbound will be on the Wii U Virtual Console this year #NintendoDirectNA pic.twitter.com/ba8MwdSsfV"

Yesssssss and noooooo. I don't own a Wii U!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »
this vary good new because now people don't have to give out half there paycheck for the next 15 years just to play it

soera

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 01:43:54 pm »
The bad thing is this is not going to sell Wii U units. Most people that would be interested in one would be for it anyhow. A huge percentage of people that would want to play earthbound could actually do it cheaper buying an SNES and the game itself. Its going to be yet another fail in their planning. The Wii U is only going to seriously sell units if the name somehow changes and the price drops to that of a normal Wii as well seriously getting some games (other than stuff thats already on the PS3 and 360).

I was excited when I heard this at first cause I want to play Earthbound ... but with the Wii U only part, its not getting me any closer. Release it on both Wii and Wii U and it will sell like hotcakes. It will also help the price of the game itself drop some allowing people who want to own the thing but not pay $200+ for it the option.

ko1ru

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:48 am »
I wondered why they weren't releasing it for Wii as well - they'd definitely sell a lot more copies.  Then I heard about this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/04/end-of-an-era-many-wii-online-services-shutting-down-in-june/

It looks as though they're preparing to phase out the Wii entirely.  With poor Wii U sales and a lukewarm response to the 3DS, I seriously wonder about the future of Nintendo...  Newsflash:  Earthbound ain't gonna save your hide, Nintendo, especially if you're relying on the Wii U to sell copies.   ::)

scott

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 09:39:13 am »
The only problem I have with the 3DS is that Nintendo insisted on releasing the 3DS XL, in my opinion, way too early in the 3DS's lifespan. So now, rather than producing a set style of hardware, they are producing 2 different models simultaneously, which can't be cost effective. Other than that minor gripe, I think the 3DS is a great successor to the DS (which I love), much more so than the DSi.

ko1ru

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 09:49:58 am »
The only problem I have with the 3DS is that Nintendo insisted on releasing the 3DS XL, in my opinion, way too early in the 3DS's lifespan. So now, rather than producing a set style of hardware, they are producing 2 different models simultaneously, which can't be cost effective. Other than that minor gripe, I think the 3DS is a great successor to the DS (which I love), much more so than the DSi.

I agree about the 3DS XL and the timing of its release.  I mean, don't get me wrong, there are some really good titles out on 3DS, but it doesn't seem too many people are paying it any mind.  Especially after the fiasco that was its initial launch.

htimreimer

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 09:57:49 am »
I wondered why they weren't releasing it for Wii as well - they'd definitely sell a lot more copies.  Then I heard about this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/04/end-of-an-era-many-wii-online-services-shutting-down-in-june/

It looks as though they're preparing to phase out the Wii entirely.  With poor Wii U sales and a lukewarm response to the 3DS, I seriously wonder about the future of Nintendo...  Newsflash:  Earthbound ain't gonna save your hide, Nintendo, especially if you're relying on the Wii U to sell copies.   ::)
i tell this to anyone thats worried about nintendo's future, there is a report from a tech analyst and it said that nintendo could lose money on all of there console's for the next 47 years and still have enough money to not only run as a business but also to make at least two new game's and console's, nintendo has just hit a bit of a bumpy road thats gonna  smooth it self out at E3

scott

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 10:03:28 am »
Ya, I didn't agree with the purchase price of at launch and their bribe of extra games for their ambassador program didn't set well with me either. I think Nintendo is doing alright though and won't be going anywhere any time soon. Especially if the rumors surrounding the new Xbox are true. And, depending on how much Sony screws up the PS4 launch. :)

soera

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 10:10:34 am »
The only thing that would ruin the ps4 launch for me is 1) digital only games and 2) continuing with that controller.

htimreimer

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 10:16:26 am »
2) continuing with that controller.
what, you dont want completely unnecessary touch pad on your controller

sin2beta

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 04:05:18 pm »

i tell this to anyone thats worried about nintendo's future, there is a report from a tech analyst and it said that nintendo could lose money on all of there console's for the next 47 years and still have enough money to not only run as a business but also to make at least two new game's and console's, nintendo has just hit a bit of a bumpy road thats gonna  smooth it self out at E3

Sadly, most businesses do not work solely on if you have money to keep the lights on. Nintendo hasn't been able to work like this since 1962... when they went public. Nintendo staying the course has less to do with how long they can turtle and more to do with making stockholders happy. They have been fairly transparent on this with all of the 3DS stuff. If Nintendo continues to lose money, their stock loses value. Stockholders will demand changes. And unfortunately the stockholders run/own the company. Nintendo has had to adjust quarterly figures too many times in a row. This makes people nervous.

It's the same reason that Sony announced the PS4 just at the end of the fiscal year. It's about the backers.

But I agree to not be worried about Nintendo's position. I think they know their market well and are serving that market well. I honestly think they know what they are doing and how to keep the stockholders happy.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »
I seriously doubt this will affect the price of physical copies, if people want to just play the game now its easy enough for free.  It's collectors that drive the price up and greed from demand.  The price for Guardian Heroes hasn't changed since xbla