Author Topic: Storage Methods  (Read 5471 times)

theprestige2000

Storage Methods
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:21:46 pm »
How do you store your games?

I'm keeping my older carts in plastic containers (e.g. Sterilite).  I'm trying to decide weather I should take the carts I have boxes for and keep them in the boxes.  Also I have all my manuals in ziplock baggies separate from the boxes.  I want to strike a balance between consolidation and preservation. What do you think?  Do ziplock baggies contain acids that will damage the manuals over time?

scott

Re: Storage Methods
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:17 pm »
I keep all of my NES, GBA, DS and 3DS games in stand up CD racks. They fit perfectly! My GBA games are all kept in DS cases too. Everything else are in DVD racks, bookshelf style.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:48:57 pm »
I used a fairly cheap Atlantic rack from Best Buy for awhile, but due to space constraints, recently switched to a steel Can-Am cabinet w/ sliding drawers. Much as I miss being able to have everything pretty and on display, it's been really nice to work with, particularly since you don't have to worry about dust.

Downside is, it was an extremely generous gift from a friend-of-a-friend who had to get rid of it during a move, and I'm not sure I'll be willing to pay the insanely high price for another one. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and to the OP - If you're concerned about acidity or anything, look for mylar bags. Alongside that, I'd look into getting some kind of amaray cases that can fit both the manuals and cartridges, and let you insert custom artwork.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:51:51 pm by insektmute »

soera

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »
I store my stuff according to what it is. NES games are on a wall built by me. Each game has a sleeve. My PS1 games are in their own cases with manual. Same with any of my other disk games. My other cartridge games just sit around where I stick them.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:06:32 pm »
It's different for different games:

-NES & DVD-Type Cases (PS2, XBox, Gamecube, Saturn, etc.) - Bookshelves.

-SNES & N64 - Plastic drawers from Wal-Mart.

-Sega Master System & Genesis - Wall-mounted cassette tape holders (they're the perfect fit for these carts).

-CD-Type Cases (PS1, Dreamcast, & TurboGrafx-16) - A spinning rack CD-holder.

-Handheld Games (Gameboy, GBA, DS, Game Gear) - 6-pocket trading card binder pages, inside of a binder.

darko

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:59 pm »
I pretty much just throw everything up in these:

I can't really recommend them unless you don't mind hiding some games behind others. My NES games are 2 deep, SNES games 3 deep, DVD case games are all 2 deep, etc.

I put my loose GBA games into DS cases and throw a custom label in the case so I know what they are.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:12:00 pm »
Piles and piles of shit.  Most of it is in plastic totes.  My NES games are all in the ones that are made to slide under the bed.  I have a "NES Shrine" as my wife calls it on one shelf.  That was done before my collection got out of hand.  Now, its stacks of stuff everywhere.  If I ever get my shelves that I want built, I'll have some pictures for the front page. 

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:05 pm »

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 09:34:54 pm »
I put everything in bookshelves. Cartridges are loose and stacked. CDs are in DVD or jewel cases and lined up. All are alphabetical (or at least close to it).
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:06 pm »
I have used a lot of different shelving:
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,606.msg7079.html#msg7079

I like having as much on shelves as I can since show it off better that way.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 09:43:34 pm »

-Handheld Games (Gameboy, GBA, DS, Game Gear) - 6-pocket trading card binder pages, inside of a binder.

That's a really good idea. Would I need to go to a specialty store for these kind of binders or would a store like Walmart carry them?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:43 pm »

That's a really good idea. Would I need to go to a specialty store for these kind of binders or would a store like Walmart carry them?

I just use a regular binder. But you do have to go to a comic shop (or sports card shop) to pick up the trading card pages.

I've found that the standard 9-pocket pages aren't quite big enough and will tear with cartridges in them. But the longer-per-pocket 6-pocket pages (designed for long-cards in mind) are perfectly sized.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:02:52 pm by burningdoom »

sin2beta

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 10:19:41 pm »

I just use a regular binder. But you do have to go to a comic shop (or sports card shop) to pick up the trading card pages.

I've found that the standard 9-pocket pages aren't quite big enough and will tear with cartridges in them. But the longer-per-pocket 6-pocket pages (designed for long-cards in mind) are perfectly sized.

I know you listed it, but I wanted to double check. Do you manage to get game gear games in the 6 card binders? If so, I will definitely be picking some up.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »
I just have all my stuff thrown up on a bookshelves. At first I had them seperatedout a nintendo shelf,sega shelf and sony shelf... However since I've added a lot of different stuff my sega shelf is more of a miscellaneous shelf now, Hoping to add a new shelf soon

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:39 pm »
I just keep everything on bookcases, (mostly) organised by format. Give it a quick dust every now and then and I'm done! The only thing that really worries me is sun fading and I get around that by keeping the bedroom curtains closed all the time. It sounds hermit-y, but as me and my husband are only ever in there to sleep or to get dressed (at 6am) it makes no difference to us.