Author Topic: Limited/Collector's Edition Images  (Read 4992 times)

darko

Limited/Collector's Edition Images
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:19:39 pm »
I've seen some variations in the CE/LE box art (somewhat thanks to me). The best way to upload them that I've found is to upload a picture of the front and back of the game case (some will be the same as the standard version) and then upload a picture of the LE/CE items that come with the set as a disc/cart image. As soon as Fallout New Vegas for the 360 gets updated you'll see what I mean. I think it flows the best when looking through collections. In some instances, as with games like Splinter Cell: Double Agent, there is a box variation to distinguish the CE from the SE so there would no reason to use up the disc/cart space with anything extra. The box itself distinguishes the difference.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - Raiho Special Edition is already updated to reflect what I'm talking about as well.

Thoughts?

scott

Re: Limited/Collector's Edition Images
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:22:58 pm »
I saw this as  I was approving things, I'm not sure what I think about it at the moment. I like the idea of having the box contents as the "cart/disc image" But I also like showcasing the special edition's packaging as the actual box art image. hmm
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:14:50 am »
From my experience most images of the box contents images also show the special edition packaging. Just a thought. I'm probably being too anal, but I like everything to be consistent when I'm looking through my collection. Just let me know what you decide and I'll go through my LE/CE items and update them.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:54:24 pm »
I like the was they usually do on Amazon or Play-Asia.com where they show the box and in front is a layout of everything that comes in it. @Scott, I know on a site called BakaBT (it has to do with downloading anime and is totally unrelated to what you are doing), they have gotten to a point where they have submissions they will leave pending either for a "better" fansubber to see if they will finish their work, or for a higher quality version of the video. Basically my suggestion is to accept something to avoid a blank boxart, and if someone has a better or more appropriate image, replace it  with that. Eventually you'll need to start locking certain games to no longer be edited when complete, or else you'll be doing some heavy admin work when you have to start filtering your acceptations from your rejections.

scott

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:06:20 am »
I like showing the bundle images, I'm thinking we may need to add a new image field for them. Allowing us to show the bundle picture while still being able to use the cart/disc image. I still say the box art should be the collector's edition packaging though.

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »
How about an "Other" field for images.  Would be helpful in many instances.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 04:22:20 pm »
any more news on the collectors edition for displaying images? I just added Ys Seven a while back, but I have not updated properly to the premium edition because I have to create it and didn't know what was the final verdict on showing off CE/LE editions. I really like to see the box art first before seeing what comes in the box set. It also looks better on the profile as when I set it to show the pictures and not the list with the names, some items are not as easily identifiable due to a small thumbnail of a whole bunch of stuff.

scott

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 05:18:51 pm »
Oh ya I updated the style guide a while back:

Collector's Edition/ Special / Limited Edition / Bundles Box Art

Keeping in the spirit of accuracy: Collector's/ Limited Editions which are bundles in a separate retail box should have the artwork depicting the retail packaging, rather than the dvd case's artwork. If the Special Edition is only a special DVD case and not in a bundle box, then the artwork will be of the DVD case. Also, any game that came bundled with a special controller, microphone, guitar, etc should have the Bundle's box as the box art.

I'd like to add another image field for bundle contents, so we can keep the disc/cart images just for showing the actual disc or cartridge.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:53:41 pm »
Oh crap, I need to change my Ys Seven premium then. I really don't like it though.
http://vgcollect.com/jonathonstriker/xbox360 if you look at this in the "thumbnail" view, you can see how Forza 4 seems out of place, and without the name, you can't tell what it is. That is why I have a problem with it. I guess in the mean time, I'll deal with it until we can get a separate art category. Oh, and it should I guess be labeled as "contents", which is basically the way amazon.com and a few other sites and stores like to do it, showing the box first, then the contents included in the CE/LE/Special/Premium.

scott

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:15:42 pm »
Ya, that Forza should have this art. http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/948030-forza-motorsport-3/images/box-125654 Then the unfolded image would be in the "contents" image slot. I'll see if I can get @matt to add that real quick in the next day or so.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 07:08:23 pm »
Yeah, don't ask me how or why I followed the style right for forza 3 and forgot for ys seven, but yeah, that looks much better. Funny though how the back of that Forza LE box looks stupid because it's plain black, and yet, I want to really put that properly as the rear boxart. Well, will check back in a day or so.

scott

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 07:13:27 pm »
Ya I felt the same way with the MGS4 LE guide and my Castlevania 20th Anniversary package, both a pretty much black and plain.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 09:41:20 pm »
I see gamestop does the show contents of the CE/LE packages, but yeah, I still hate that. I mean, I guess it is good for buying, but not for a collection database. databases should be quick identification of what the item is. Ya'll are doing a great job with this site, and I'm glad to help add to the database as it helps me very much as well. Just got another game from gamestop today after using this to identify it was not in my collection already.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 03:14:04 pm »
As far as my consistency, I've been using the front image of the special box (if it has one), as it might be seen if it were unopened.
I know that the inside cover of the Wizard's edition of Ni No Kuni is actually different from the standard version (color vs b&w), so it gets kinda tricky.  This sort of notation might also be something we can add in the "description" field for these items.
Have been using a shot of the contents as the "disc" image.

Anyway, I revived this thread because I submitted a scan of my Collector's Edition of Tales of Xillia, and it looks like the current images for the LE and CE do not accurately reflect what people got in the store.  It looks like my copies, as well as the images I've seen from some of the others in the forum have the French superscript in the "Only on Playstation" bar.

My edit might've gotten rejected, so I just wanted to give a heads up.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 05:31:11 pm »
As far as my consistency, I've been using the front image of the special box (if it has one), as it might be seen if it were unopened.
I know that the inside cover of the Wizard's edition of Ni No Kuni is actually different from the standard version (color vs b&w), so it gets kinda tricky.  This sort of notation might also be something we can add in the "description" field for these items.
Have been using a shot of the contents as the "disc" image.

Anyway, I revived this thread because I submitted a scan of my Collector's Edition of Tales of Xillia, and it looks like the current images for the LE and CE do not accurately reflect what people got in the store.  It looks like my copies, as well as the images I've seen from some of the others in the forum have the French superscript in the "Only on Playstation" bar.

My edit might've gotten rejected, so I just wanted to give a heads up.
I'm pretty sure I approved your cover edits earlier today.