Author Topic: NA vs. US  (Read 1409 times)

psydswipe

NA vs. US
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:04:16 am »
I've noticed the majority of system listings for U.S. releases have [NA] but then there are a handful that say [US] (Steam, Vita, NES, Atari ST, Neo Geo). I'm assuming they should all be [NA] unless there is something I am unaware of. Of course, Canada does get some different UPCs from a few publishers but I've no idea if you want to separate those (probably not).

matt

Re: NA vs. US
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:35:02 am »
I've noticed the majority of system listings for U.S. releases have [NA] but then there are a handful that say [US] (Steam, Vita, NES, Atari ST, Neo Geo). I'm assuming they should all be [NA] unless there is something I am unaware of. Of course, Canada does get some different UPCs from a few publishers but I've no idea if you want to separate those (probably not).

This is honestly a very good question and I don't have the correct answer. I've always felt like the way we handle regions may be a little..off but no one has really complained about it yet. If there is a better way, I'm all ears.

scott

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:38 am »
I know that we split US and Canada NES games. Since there seemed to be a lot of Canada specific releases. Not sure on the others though.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:23 am »
As far as regions go, it partially depends on the system and region encoding, but in general, the main release regions are NA, EU, JP, and AS. You'll see occasional deviations, like PC games that are exclusive to China or Korea, but for the most part, "US" isn't particularly accurate.

It gets a bit hazier as far as digital releases go, but I tend to question if indicating regions on those really makes sense, particularly since it's either not really defined (GOG.com) or could change at random (Steam). There are getting to be so many digital variations, I sometimes wish I could filter them out of search results just to de-clutter the page a bit :/

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:34 am »
As a Canadian I find it mildly annoying to see US when it should be NA but honestly to me it is such a minor thing that it's not worth complaining about.

scott

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:24 pm »
As a Canadian...

I stopped reading.  ;)

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:07:13 pm »
As a Canadian...

I stopped reading.  ;)
I figured you would, Americans can only read a couple words at a time ;D

scott

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:05 pm »
It's more of a limit on # of letters, rather than words.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 02:10:34 pm »
As a Canadian I find it mildly annoying to see US when it should be NA but honestly to me it is such a minor thing that it's not worth complaining about.
As a Half-American I find it very annoying to see French in my American games. Get off my country! :P

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:08:41 pm »
As a Half-American I find it very annoying to see French in my American games. Get off my country! :P
Some of the dupes in my collection are because I have bought the US version so that I don't have the french either!