Author Topic: Separate category for DC homebrews  (Read 1327 times)

sin2beta

Separate category for DC homebrews
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:15:43 pm »
When I first signed up for the site, I was immediately put off because I started putting in my dreamcast collection and immediately noticed there were way too many Dreamcast games listed. I also don't like wading through the homebrews when browsing.

The dreamcast seems to be the biggest system issue for this.

Would it make sense to have a separate homebrew category? I mean, there are over 300 DC games listed for a console that has approximately 240 games.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

Re: Separate category for DC homebrews
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:19 pm »
There -is- a separate homebrew category in release type. It's just that the site doesn't separate them and lumps them all together. This will be addressed soon, I hope, because I hate homebrews and unofficial games showing up in the main list.

Or we could just go and delete all the entries for game hacks and Beats of Rage repacks to get rid of the garbage. :P

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:24:05 pm »
Or we could just go and delete all the entries for game hacks and Beats of Rage repacks to get rid of the garbage. :P

In all honesty, I like this option. But I do understand that some do like having this information tracked as well.

matt

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:38 pm »

In all honesty, I like this option. But I do understand that some do like having this information tracked as well.

We've talked about this quite a bit but still don't have a clear answer on how we want to handle it. I personally wouldn't mind getting rid of them or at least adding some sort of filter. Hmm..we'll chat about this with the site staff and see if we can't come up with a solution.

darko

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:33 am »

We've talked about this quite a bit but still don't have a clear answer on how we want to handle it. I personally wouldn't mind getting rid of them or at least adding some sort of filter. Hmm..we'll chat about this with the site staff and see if we can't come up with a solution.

I like having the ability to see all of the games I own for a specific system. I don't think deleting them all together is a good option. I have several repro carts and several homebrews. I know a lot of people collect them along with retail releases. Maybe you could just make a sub category for each? I don't know the solution that will make everyone happy, but I want to retain the ability to track them in my collection.

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:27 am »
I think that the biggest thing, some folks are concerned about has to do with romhacks and other pirates. Personally I think we should track homebrew carts/discs in thier own category. But I don't really know a whole lot about all of the other stuff... soo. ya.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ko1ru

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:53 am »

I like having the ability to see all of the games I own for a specific system. I don't think deleting them all together is a good option. I have several repro carts and several homebrews. I know a lot of people collect them along with retail releases. Maybe you could just make a sub category for each? I don't know the solution that will make everyone happy, but I want to retain the ability to track them in my collection.

I agree with Darko.  Although I don't own any repros or homebrews myself, I can see how having a sub-category would be helpful to those who do.

I personally don't mind seeing them when I browse a particular platform's games.  It's actually kinda cool to see some that I didn't know existed.  :)

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:40:09 pm »
Homebrews = OK
Repros = They suck (yeah, yeah), but are technically OK
Random guy making an entry for his downloaded copy of Marvel Vs Capcom with Snoop Dogg music = NOT OK
Random guy making an entry for downloaded Dreamcast games = NOT OK

And so on.

Be thankful I don't have deletion powers. :P

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »
I can get on foxhack's point.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »
Homebrews = OK
Repros = They suck (yeah, yeah), but are technically OK
Random guy making an entry for his downloaded copy of Marvel Vs Capcom with Snoop Dogg music = NOT OK
Random guy making an entry for downloaded Dreamcast games = NOT OK

And so on.

Be thankful I don't have deletion powers. :P

I agree with all of this, other than repros sucking :)

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:58:14 pm »
I can undertand the point of wanting them listed. But I really think they should be a separate category. It is nice to have a simple easy to find licensed release list for collecting. The amount of homebrews, mods, bleemcast releases, etc make the whole list really tough to browse releases.

If I was into homebrews, I would even want them in a separate category. This way I could easily find them.