Author Topic: What Was Your Favorite Console Each Generation You Were Gaming?  (Read 3642 times)

Re: What Was Your Favorite Console Each Generation You Were Gaming?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 12:58:33 pm »
i have some that other people dont have

-2nd Generation: Spectrum ZX+2. this was my first system. my mum worked for commodore but i wanted this instead and i loved it. the Atari 2600 was a close second thou.

-3rd Generation: Sega Master System 2. Alex the Kid was built into this. enough said!

-4th Generation: Sega Megadrive. i didnt own a NES or SNES until last year

-5th Generation: PS1, FFVII and Tekken 2. got this after playing tekken on the arcade, the game blew my mind.

-6th Generation: PS2, this could be my fav system of all time. the fact they only recently stopped producing games for this tells you this machine was amazing, wish it had a built in harddrive instead of the stupid memory cards

-Currently: XBox 360, even thou i got the ring of red on my first i love my elite. the controller is Perfect. only thing missing was bluray

-Next Gen: what ever lets you play second hand games. (so far it will be wii U)

-Handhelds - SEGA game gear, IT WAS IN COLOR! granted it ate batteries like kobayashi in a hotdog contest but sonic was amazing,

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 08:18:05 pm »
My Favs:

1st Favorite = Years (mis?)spent in ARCADES, then

ATARI (No, not the 2600 -but- the one before it w/ the paddle that came w/ Super-Breakout,

I'm confused by this. Atari 2600 was Atari's first home console. They produced home versions of Pong, Stunt Cycle, and Video Pinball, before that. There may have been a couple more, I'm not sure. But those only played a single game, or different variations of that 1 game. Is that what it was? Some Pong or other single-game console?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 08:20:09 pm »
All this hate for the N-Gage?! It was a piece of crap for a phone, granted. But for a handheld game system, it was ahead of it's time. Fantastic looking graphics. And it has exclusive Elder Scrolls games! I want to get one just for that reason.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »
I like this thread!  I've been meaning to post, just haven't. So, here it goes.

1st gen, the OG game system - I wasn't born yet

2nd Gen - The good ole, wood grain 2600. My parents got one of these and I thought it was awesome. I played a ton of Pac-Man (I liked it), Stampede, Baseball, Football, Missle Command, amid Defender on this. I even had and played E.T.

3rd Gen - Say it with me: The Nintendo Entertainment System. This started my true love of video games. I had about 40 games over the course of my first run with the NES. I never stopped loving her. I still have all of those games (plus many, many more) and my original system.

4th Gen - The SNES. I was in 5th grade when this came out. I got one for my birthday that year. My first game besides Super Mario World, was Final Fight. I still love this system. It gave me the only RPGs that I like, and the beginning of my love for Mario Kart.

5th Gen - The N64. Do you see the patern here?  I was a Nintendo fanboy. Hell, I still am. The N64 gave me some GREAT wrestling games that I was really into at the time. They're still fun. I played lots of wrestling and Smash Bros.  Oh yeah, more Mario Kart.

6th Gen -  I was in college and was too grown up for the GameCube, so I got an Xbox. I don't regret it. There were some really good times had with a few beers or a little whiskey and that Xbox. After I got a job and married, I bought a GameCube. So I did have one during that generation.   Now days I do prefer the GameCube. The games are more of what I like. I'm just not a Halo fan.

7th Gen - While the Wii gave us some really good games and it may hold up better down the road. My favorite right now is the Xbox 360. There are a ton of great games. I love it. For new releases, it simply can't be beat. Red Ring or no it is a solid console. I wouldn't part with my Star Wars Xbox for anything. It makes R2D2 sounds!

8th gen. - the Wii U has me really excited about what is coming. I love it so far. It made me put Borderlands 2 down. That was an accomplishment. I'll have to wait on the Next-Box (see what I did there?) to see what it has to offer before I pass judgment.

Thank you for reading. If you disagree, you are wrong.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »
I'm confused by this. Atari 2600 was Atari's first home console. They produced home versions of Pong, Stunt Cycle, and Video Pinball, before that. There may have been a couple more, I'm not sure. But those only played a single game, or different variations of that 1 game. Is that what it was? Some Pong or other single-game console?

Maybe he's confusing the VCS and the 2600 as two separate machines...?

As for my picks...

2nd gen: Colecovision -- It really shouldn't be a 2nd gen machine considering it's specs. Lots of great arcade conversions.

3rd gen: NES -- Is there really any competition in this generation? The Master System comes a distant second I guess.

4th gen: SNES -- This gen was a clash of 4 fantastic machines. The SNES had so many unbelievably good games, but the Neo Geo was also an absolutely amazing machine. Genesis and the TurboGrafx 16 were great as well. Video gaming's legendary generation.

5th gen: N64 -- PS1 had some great stuff, but a lot of it hasn't aged well. Same with N64. Super Mario 64 was it's first and greatest game.

6th gen: PS2 -- Some great games, but not an amazing generation overall.

7th gen: PS3 -- Valkyria Chonicles and Dark Souls define this gen for me.

8th gen: Wii U -- It's the only 8th gen system available right now, so it wins by default. :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:01 am »
My Favs:

1st Favorite = Years (mis?)spent in ARCADES, then

ATARI (No, not the 2600 -but- the one before it w/ the paddle that came w/ Super-Breakout,

This one (pretty sure it was before the 2600), but, it *was* a loooong time ago...

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/dedicated/videopinball.html
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 10:30:22 pm »
Okay, yeah. That is a dedicated console, like Pong. It's made to play one game. Other than that one you pictured, and Pong, Atari also made a motorcycle one called Stunt Cycle. There were probably more, but those were the ones I've played.

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 10:42:11 pm »
A lot of companies that had a "first" home console had a first-gen system of some kind. Coleco had the Telstar. Nintendo had the Color 6-in1 consoles.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 10:43:59 pm »
A lot of companies that had a "first" home console had a first-gen system of some kind. Coleco had the Telstar. Nintendo had the Color 6-in1 consoles.

There were 100s, but the vast majority of them were Pong-clones. I was just mentioning the Atari-made ones.

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 04:04:50 am »
2nd Generation - Atari 8-bit (especially XEGS):
I didn't grow up in this time period but got to experience it later. While my first pre-crash experience was an Atari 2600, I really preferred the smoother graphics of the Atari 5200 and Atari 8-bit computer line. The XEGS released 2 years after the NES, took that already existing computer line and simplified it to make it seem more like a regular console. The controller was a bit better than the 5200's and there were more games that were not available on the 5200, such as Donkey Kong. I tried many of the other branded consoles but I didn't like any of the others quite as much as the Atari systems.

3rd Generation - NES:
I still didn't have my own gaming system till 1993, so the NES was my great budget system while growing up. So many classics and I was introduced to so many styles of games with this thing. I was lucky I didn't have to expereince any of the bad games during my childhood. My grandma was smart about buying good games only. I didn't get a SMS till years later and have been enjoying some of its games, but NES just has so much more that I am familiar with.

4th Generation - SNES:
My first game console was a Sega Genesis, but all I was ever interested in on that back then were the Sonic games and games featuring cartoon characters. SNES had more of those longer platformer games where you could save your level completion progress to the cart battery and re-play levels you already cleared. RPGs and adventures usually had better graphics and sound than the Genesis offerings of the genre. During this generation I was a kid so I liked the colorful games rather than the mature type fighting games or shooting games. Because of getting NES games cheap, I also had some go-to series I could ask for just because I liked their NES counterparts. While I didn't get any RPGs for it as a kid, Zelda still allowed me to experience some sword-wielding adventuring on it. The RPGs I tried in later years were great though.

5th Generation - Playstation:
My first jump into this generation was the Nintendo 64. I was all excited about the 3D and the exploration involved in games like Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye. But when my stepdad introduced me to his Playstation I enjoyed the great variety and quality games it provided. If I wanted any kind of game 2D or 3D, the Playstation had it. I was a preteen at this point and started to like fighting games and finally understood RPGs well enough to fall in love with the genre. It was also the first system I experienced that had demo discs. Those alone made the system enjoyable as I could really look forward to new games coming out, hoping my stepdad would buy them. When he gave his spare system to me it ended up getting the most play time from then on. It is still probably the system I play the most. Saturn is fun, but I've barely had the time to get into it yet.

6th Generation - Playstation 2:
Take everything that the Playstation offers and boost its graphics. So many more games and many genres to choose from than the competition. Being a teenager this had my first DVD player as well. Playing PS1 games on it was convenient at the time, making my old PS1 system only needed for Gameshark and eventually imports. I had a Dreamcast before PS2, but only really wanted that for Sonic Adventure. Gamecube I was mainly excited about because of Sonic seemingly finding a new home on Nintendo consoles (until he went multiplatform with Sonic Heroes), and the usual Nintendo characters games. I only wanted an Xbox for Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, because one of my favorite Playstation series turned traitor and jumped ship. Playstation 2 ended up being the main system to get all the niche RPGs.

7th Generation - Playstation 3:
It took a while for this to catch up but with all the unplayed material from the previous generation, the backward compatibility of the first model came in handy for backing up my saves. No more worrying about corrupted memory cards! I actually originally bought the system for the convenience of infinite memory cards. Once the niche RPGs started to really favor the console as I had guessed they would due to the brand's previous consoles, I started buying more games for it than the other two. This was the generation that began when I had finished high school and started as an adult. With my disposable income I bought all three systems to try them out. Wii had its interesting Virtual Console to introduce me to TurboGrafx-16 and Neo Geo for the first time and its usual Nintendo characters+ exclusive Sonic games to get me to bite. I didn't really play it much until I modded it for roms. The Xbox 360 didn't really have anything that made me feel like I had to get it. It was more just a thing I purchased because I had the money to and have it just in case there's an exclusive I want. I do like Pac-Man Championship Edition from the Xbox Live compilation disc a lot though, and I scored an exclusive RPG Blue Dragon for $5. There's something to say about familiarity winning when it comes to consoles. The brand jump from SNES to Playstation isn't a big surprise when you compare the button layout of the game controllers.

2nd Generation of handhelds - Game Boy:
It may have been black and white but much like other Nintendo brand systems it had its established franchises to keep me playing it. The save battery useage was similar to that of the SNES games so when compared to Game Gear, the games just seemed longer and more enjoyable. My first Game Boy was the Game Boy pocket in 1997 while I didn't have a Game Gear till 2000. It took longer for me to get handhelds than consoles growing up for some reason.

3rd Generation of handhelds - Game Boy Color:
This one pretty much wins by default. Neo Geo Pocket Color was really good and had better fighting games than any other handheld before it, but there weren't as many games. Game Boy Color didn't even have very many exclusive Nintendo franchise games on it but the few it did have were great. Pokemon, Dragon Warrior and Zelda + a couple platformer remakes was all it needed. That and adding replay value to older games by adding color helped. I still liked my Super Game Boy better for those older games though.

4th Generation of handhelds - Game Boy Advance:
The stuff this thing was competing with really didn't have much recognition in the gaming community. In general, I would say this is the best Game Boy of the three generations of that line when it comes to the games themselves. It really was a leap forward from all handhelds that came before it.

5th Generation of handhelds - Nintendo DS:
I really like my PSP but I gave the Nintendo DS a slight edge for having such a huge library and a large supply of Nintendo franchises, exclusive Sonic games, and even RPGs like the Final Fantasy III, Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest V and Dragon Quest VI remakes. The PSP seems to have tons of the kinds of games I want though too, so I can see this opinion changing in the future. Closest thing I have to a draw in all of my list actually. The one thing DS has over PSP is longer battery life.

6th Generation of handhelds (so far) - 3DS:
For me right now, this is THE system to own this generation. Even if the consoles and PS Vita don't end up doing so well, this thing already has some really fun games on it.

So yeah pretty much my favorite 2 game companies over the years have been Nintendo and Sony. Sega came close at times, but that was a really long time ago.

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 09:29:56 am »
All this hate for the N-Gage?! It was a piece of crap for a phone, granted. But for a handheld game system, it was ahead of it's time. Fantastic looking graphics. And it has exclusive Elder Scrolls games! I want to get one just for that reason.

It really was - I owned one with Tomb Raider, and having the full game on a handheld at the time was amazing!

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 06:07:27 pm »
2nd: Amiga - So many good memories with this thing.  I wish I still had it today.
3rd: NES - An easy choice, who wan't introduced to one of these in the late 80s early 90s!?
4th: Genesis - My first system I paid for myself.  All of my friends has bought SNESs, I thought I'd try something else and wasn't at all disappointed.
5th: PS1 - Painful 1st gen 3D (the whole gen suffered from it), but otherwise an amazing system and library
6th: PC
7th: PC
8th: PC
etc :P