Author Topic: Digital Downloads  (Read 1103 times)

Digital Downloads
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:48:53 pm »
Hey guys,

My apologies if this has been brought up before but I've been browsing through posting and didn't really see anything on point.

Now that digital downloads of AAA titles has become commonplace (and will likely continue to increase), what are your thoughts about adding titles to your collection?

Obviously most people on this site prefer to collect physical copies rather than digital downloads (that's a separate discussion). But in those instances where a title is available as both a physical retail copy and digital download, what's the best approach? Single entry on VG Collect and then uncheck all of the "disc / box / cart" etc. boxes? Add note to item that it's a digital download only?

Obviously there are plenty of entries for things like Virtual console, PSOne Classics, etc.  My question is specifically about what to do when there is a physical copy as well as digital download of the same title (e.g., New Super Mario Bros. U).

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:54:33 pm by bobbyg1983 »

Re: Digital Downloads
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:13:33 pm »
Generally speaking, I think you'd want to add digital releases as you would any other - as a distinct, separate listing.

That said, I do hope we can eventually do more surgical filtering. It's gonna get waaaay messy to search with all the swag, digital releases, and even just the sheer number of physical releases in some cases, which will probably lead to even more duplicates down the road.

darko

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:04:01 pm »
I could see adding separate entries for digital downloads getting a little messy without an actual section devoted to such things. Until that happens I would suggest just adding the words "Digital Copy" or something similar in the notes section under the games you own that are digital only.

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:36:07 pm »
We have the Nintendo eShop for the downloadable Wii U and 3DS games, Xbox Live Games on Demand for 360 games, PSN (PlayStation 3) for PS3 games and PSN (PlayStation Portable), etc. Each would have their own listing separate from the retail version in these categories. Of course the way the system is set up, there are still check boxes on these listings for Disc/Box/Manual/Inserts, so that kinda just needs to be ignored. 
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

topspot123

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:24:54 pm »
I understand that eventually we will be able to make categories within our own collections.  Something like:

1.  Collection
     a. Hardware
     b. Accessories
     c. Physical Games
     d. Digital Games (Steam, PSN, OnLive, etc)

After this happens I intend to add my digital copies of games.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »
I find it strange that downloads are even an option here. A site like this can be used to track your collection for insurance purposes. Are digital downloads actually worth anything? Could they be claimed for insurance reasons?

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 04:13:40 pm »
I find it strange that downloads are even an option here. A site like this can be used to track your collection for insurance purposes. Are digital downloads actually worth anything? Could they be claimed for insurance reasons?

Also that you can't lose digital downloads unless your accounts with those companies get deleted.

I count a collection as physical merchandise. I dont see digital as a collection. Digital should be removed IMO, but I can see how most people just want to show off what they have.

Personally I have a notepad file of what I own for insurance reasons. and photos. as a website I could just add things and who would know if I actually own it or not.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »
I use websites and photos. Photos are what really matter for insurance anyways. There is no valuation mechanic on this site so that doesn't help but in case something happens, someone gets to dig through photos.

darko

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:42 am »
I just have my game room insured as a rider on my home insurance. It's not that expensive and I have an estimated value that the insurance company will pay out if something destroys the room (basically I just pay for $x coverage and they'll pay it out if necessary). It's easy and I don't have to worry about proving what individual items are worth.