Author Topic: Japanese Saturn Advice  (Read 1737 times)

sin2beta

Japanese Saturn Advice
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:28 pm »
So, I am thinking about picking up a Japanese saturn to start that collection. Does anyone know a good place to buy one? Checking on ebay, this seems like the route I might go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-Sega-Saturn-Game-console-System-RARE-Japan-White-/230928797127?pt=Video_Games&hash=item35c46dcdc7

My local retail store has a saturn with an st key for $70. This seems high to me. Plus, I like the white saturn look.

Any suggestions from an experienced japanese Saturn owner?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

Re: Japanese Saturn Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:46:01 am »
I don't own one but the store I work at is selling an in-box Japanese Saturn in really good condition for $100. (Haven't checked to see if it has all the manuals, etc.)
We check our prices pretty religiously-- buying from a game store means you're going to pay what it's worth though. I'd say that's probably about the right price, but it's your preference on whether or not you want to buy it at its value.

darko

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:52:04 am »
The auction your looking at doesn't include anything but the actual system (to which I'm sure you're aware). I would think that $50-$70 is a fair price for one if you pick it up complete here in the US on eBay. $100 retail seems a little on the high side but only by $10-$20 dollars...which you're going to pay in shipping charges if you go with eBay.

If you don't want a CIB system then completed eBay listings are suggesting something around $50 (difficult to judge since there are not too many completed listings and the condition of the offerings vary greatly).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-White-Japanese-Version-Tested-NTSC-J-2-Controllers-Cables-/321054427528?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4ac055c988&nma=true&si=d3lhL5pTKxsb6UT1lUyUdN54gRI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:56:14 am by darko »

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:19 am »
OK. Those were the prices I was seeing as well. It seems like I can find white controllers on their own fairly cheap with patience. And the connections are the same as the US system, my local shop has spares and third party AV cables on the mega cheap.

If I got this one and bought things separately, I'd be looking at about $60 (one controller). This puts it just a tad below buying one with everything on a typical day. And a bit higher than finding a sweet deal. So, this seems like a fairly average buy.

Now I just need to decide whether to focus on domestic or import. As this will be the type of system I purchase.  :-\

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »
White Saturns have a few minor compatibility issues with certain games. It is only a small handful of titles but you're still paying money for a system with less functionality than a standard grey unit, I really wouldn't get one as your first Saturn.

As for domestic vs. import - you'll probably have an easier time of things if you buy a domestic Saturn and one of these. That means you can happily pick up any local games you find but still have the ability to play any import you come across.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:18:12 pm »
White Saturns have a few minor compatibility issues with certain games. It is only a small handful of titles but you're still paying money for a system with less functionality than a standard grey unit, I really wouldn't get one as your first Saturn.

As for domestic vs. import - you'll probably have an easier time of things if you buy a domestic Saturn and one of these. That means you can happily pick up any local games you find but still have the ability to play any import you come across.

Thanks! WIth your blog, you definitely seem to be a good one for advice.

So, what is the difference between the functionality of the Saturn White and the Saturn Grey? I haven't heard anything besides Outrun and Space Harrier might not work.

It's actually not my first saturn. I had one back around the time they got discontinued. I just never really got into it. I wanted X-Men COTA but never found one in the wild. I liked Panzer Dragoon and that was about it for what I owned and could find. In the last year while looking, the most exciting game I've come across is World Series Baseball. The collection will definitely have to be done through ebay.

I thought about going domestic with an action replay. But from what I have found where I am, it is about $50 for a saturn and $35-40 for an action replay. I'll check the link you gave. (where I am at right now won't load the link. Trust me it is where I am and not the link. So, I will check it this afternoon). The cost of the system with no hookups was about the same as an action replay. And I would definitely want RAM for the 2D fighters. Plus, I hear swapping out muiltidisk games can be a pain with those. I would probably just mod it. The chip installation is simple enough.

As of now, I'm just going to be patient and will focus on Dreamcast until I find a good deal and convince myself one way or the other on the system region.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »
That's all it is - a few games don't work on a white Saturn. It's not much, but personally I don't see the point in paying for something that you know isn't as reliable when basically any other Japanese Saturn will do a better job.

If you aren't afraid of shopping online then you'll be fine with a Japanese Saturn. Just so you know, those Action Replays come with the RAM built in so you can still play the beat 'em ups. ;) I know I'm sounding like I'm talking down using a Japanese Saturn (even though that's what I've used exclusively for many years now), it's just that most people prefer the "safe" domestic alternative so I'm used to slanting my advice that way, sorry.

scott

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »
Personally I went the domestic w/ action replay route. Since I can't read or understand Japanese I though it pointless to buy a Japanese console. That way I can play the local games without hassle and if I want to import I still have the option.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:05:08 pm »
That's all it is - a few games don't work on a white Saturn. It's not much, but personally I don't see the point in paying for something that you know isn't as reliable when basically any other Japanese Saturn will do a better job.

If you aren't afraid of shopping online then you'll be fine with a Japanese Saturn. Just so you know, those Action Replays come with the RAM built in so you can still play the beat 'em ups. ;) I know I'm sounding like I'm talking down using a Japanese Saturn (even though that's what I've used exclusively for many years now), it's just that most people prefer the "safe" domestic alternative so I'm used to slanting my advice that way, sorry.

No need to be sorry. I think it is great advice. Those are the reasons I am thinking about domestic. I like the idea of trying to find flea market games. And the link you gave has the action replay at a much better price. That is great! I think you sold me on not getting the white console at least. Your logic is definitely sound.

I think the thing keeping me from just going domestic is multidisc games. From what I see, the action replay always defaults back to it's domestic region when you try to swap from disc 1 to disc 2. Does anyone know this to be the case or not? From what I found, one's imports should be 1 CD only.

And I'm not too discouraged by the language. While I am not great at understanding Japanese. My family was stationed there for a bit when I was younger. I picked up the basics of reading (elementary school level) And I've made my through RPGs with my basic understanding and translation guides. It is actually the only way I have played the mother series.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:08:48 pm by sin2beta »

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:21:31 am »
I have heard about the problem with multidisc games but I can't say any more than that as I've never had to deal with it :/

If you're comfortable with Japanese then I personally would go with a Japanese Saturn, there's a whole other world of great games out there and they tend to be cheap too!