Author Topic: Favorite/Most Prized Game  (Read 5470 times)

madmax

Favorite/Most Prized Game
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:21:51 am »
What's your most prized possession in your collection? It doesn't have to be the most expencive. It can be something that holds the most value to you (nostalgic, emotional .etc)

For me, right now it's my Final Fantasy II (USA) game. I got it just last week. It's the First Final Fantasy game I ever played. It wasn't mine so I obviously didn't keep it.

The game is complete and in mint condition. As of now it's probably the most valueable piece of my collection but I think it's more of a nostalgic thing than a money thing.

scott

Re: Favorite/Most Prized Game
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:50:31 pm »
I still own my original Mega Man X cartridge and manual. I found a complete copy of Castlevania: Bloodlines for Genesis once, still had the hangy tab on the case. I have a pretty good collection of Final Fantasy and Mega Man games, though both have compilations filling sections, rather than original releases. Actually my entire library of Castlevania games (all original releases, except Symphony which is the Greatest Hits edition) is pretty important, though most are not complete. I also own Albert Odyssey, Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga & Shining Force III on Saturn, which are more than likely the most valuable games I own...

But even with all of that, my most prized GAME would have to beFaxanadu for NES. It's the only game left from my original NES collection. I sold my original NES console and all my games for it for retardedly cheap, this one survived. Two years later, I found it at my cousin's house, and remembered that he had borrowed it. I hope one day I get around to building a complete copy of it... I think I only need a box.

You would think my most prized game SYSTEM would be my Saturn, since that is what my main collection is. But, it's totally my Game Boy Light. Not only was the system never released outside of Japan, but this one is a limited edition one from Pokemon Center Tokyo. I've always loved the Game Boy and spent years looking for good deals on the GB Light to help round out my collection of GB systems. It's hard finding one that wasn't jacked up and the body still looked nice on it. Finally I found this one and it's in excellent shape, even came with the storage bag that was bundled with it too. The girl that sold it to me even sent me a Japanese copy of Pokemon: Yellow and another random Japanese game.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:56:27 pm »
...it's totally my Game Boy Light. Not only was the system never released outside of Japan, but this one is a limited edition one from Pokemon Center Tokyo.

That GBL is so cute.  Did you pay a lot for it?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:05:05 pm »

That GBL is so cute.  Did you pay a lot for it?

I picked it up for about $150, I'd say it was a good deal, since most Regular Game Boy Lights are around $100ish. It's not the rarest GBL, but it's Pikachu, and the power on light lights his cheeks. :D

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »
It's not the rarest GBL, but it's Pikachu, and the power on light lights his cheeks. :D

Ah! I didn't even notice that!  Priceless! XD
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

madmax

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:20 pm »
Those cheeks make me really want one!
Hehe cute and creative :D

scott

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:06:23 am »
Those cheeks make me really want one!
Hehe cute and creative :D

Added a shot of the power light to my above post.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 02:07:38 pm »

Added a shot of the power light to my above post.

awesome. so good.  totally envious.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:44:17 am »
First is my copy of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - with all the goodies, artbook, artbox, map (still in plastic).  It's just a fantastic game in its own right, in addition to all the goodies.

Those were the days.. special editions cost the same as other games, not bloated $100 monsterpieces with ugly plastic statues.

I also value one of my 2 copies of Super Mario Bros. 3. (complete in box, mint).  I realize this is super common and not all that valuable, but it is the only NES game to survive my youth CIB.  This is because I was the "Nintendo kid" on the block and there were so many friends over at my Nintendo parties that we needed 2 copies running on 2 NES consoles in 2 rooms!  So one I jealously guarded, lording over the box and cartridge.

Next is my launch day copy of Final Fantasy VII.  Obviously the value has dropped on this since its release on PSN, but this is mostly nostalgia speaking anyway.  While not the first RPG I enjoyed, I still feel it was a transformative experience as a game.  Also, it's still in near mint condition, with nary a scratch on the jewel case.

Finally, my mint copy of Sonic the Hedgehog.  Purely from nostalgia, this was the game that finally made me expand my horizons beyond just the NES.  

tl;dr version:  Nostalgia!

scott

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:22:18 pm »
First is my copy of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - with all the goodies, artbook, artbox, map (still in plastic).  It's just a fantastic game in its own right, in addition to all the goodies.

That's the way special editions should be. Now-a-days, everything gets a special edition with a ridiculous price. Kinda makes me not care anymore, unless it's something that is actually special.

I also value one of my 2 copies of Super Mario Bros. 3. (complete in box, mint).  I realize this is super common and not all that valuable, but it is the only NES game to survive my youth CIB.  This is because I was the "Nintendo kid" on the block and there were so many friends over at my Nintendo parties that we needed 2 copies running on 2 NES consoles in 2 rooms!  So one I jealously guarded, lording over the box and cartridge.

I wish I had some of my NES original boxes. Sadly when I was a kid I didn't save boxes, never saw a point in it and in the trash they went. I used to save my PC game boxes, until I started running out of room and decided it was pointless to save them too. I also had all the boxes for every N64 game I owned, but somewhere along the line I lost those too, kinda sad. Now the only original boxes I have are from consoles, and still I didn't start saving them until my N64 days.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »
Sadly when I was a kid I didn't save boxes, never saw a point in it and in the trash they went.

You were one of those kids!  I drop by GameStop pretty regularly and am always grumbling to myself when I'm sifting through the GS boxes to find games with original cases.  I keep thinking, "What's with these kids buying these $40 games and then tossing/losing the manual and box?"  I wonder if GameStop offered different buyback prices for CIB vs. cart-only maybe gamers would consider holding on to the packaging...?  I notice that Amazon's trade-in policy alters the buyback price if the game is not CIB.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 02:17:41 pm »
Sadly when I was a kid I didn't save boxes, never saw a point in it and in the trash they went.

You were one of those kids!  I drop by GameStop pretty regularly and am always grumbling to myself when I'm sifting through the GS boxes to find games with original cases.  I keep thinking, "What's with these kids buying these $40 games and then tossing/losing the manual and box?"  I wonder if GameStop offered different buyback prices for CIB vs. cart-only maybe gamers would consider holding on to the packaging...?  I notice that Amazon's trade-in policy alters the buyback price if the game is not CIB.

Keep in mind, when I was a kid, Nintendo was only 3 years younger than me. ;)

Plus its totally different now-a-days. They GIVE you a safe place to store the game and the manual and keep discs clean/ safe. I don't understand these people that toss the case, art and manual. Why would you leave the cd/dvd just laying around?

*edit*

btw, I have most of my NES manuals and all my maps/booklets for Dragon Warrior (need a box though) :D

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 02:36:19 pm »

Plus its totally different now-a-days. They GIVE you a safe place to store the game and the manual and keep discs clean/ safe. I don't understand these people that toss the case, art and manual. Why would you leave the cd/dvd just laying around?

*edit*

btw, I have most of my NES manuals and all my maps/booklets for Dragon Warrior (need a box though) :D

Heh, I'm just giving you a hard time.  I know when I was a kid, those Nintendo carts were virtually indestructible.  As long as you knew about the "blow" technique, those games were playable as long as you were still interested in them.  The thin cardboard box they came in didn't add anything - the text was probably just there for our parents - so they usually got flattened and then tossed.

And you're right about it being different these days.  CDs/DVDs are too vulnerable to be kept away from their box, and it's too hard to look at your collection if it's just a pile of discs stacked up next to your console.  Those plastic cases are pretty durable compared to what our NES/Game Boy games came in - what do these kids do with them?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 02:38:22 pm »
They were all jacked from Target and walked across the street to GameStop to be sold for drug money. haha

forte

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »
I can't pick, so I chose 3...

The original Mega Man for NES with box and manual. Box still has the original plastic, opened at the top (not by me obviously)

Mega Man 7 for SNES with box, manual, and all the inserts. Box has plastic, but it's not factory (missing the H seam). I didn't feel bad about opening that one.

Mega Man X3 for SNES with box, manual, and all the inserts. I bought this one off of ebay in 2000 with the box for 30 dollars. I recently got the manual and inserts for another 30. Considering this one goes for over 250 with just the box and manual nowadays, I'm quite pleased. It is also the oldest part of my collection, and most special.