Author Topic: Opinions/thoughts on downloadable games?  (Read 4541 times)

scott

Re: Opinions/thoughts on downloadable games?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 01:36:04 pm »
Is there more of a "collectible" quality to the old Apple II version of "Oregon Trail" since most people don't have Apple IIs anymore?  I'm a little young to remember much about my Apple II... they didn't have their variation of "CD keys," did they?

I dunno, when we went to CCAG, there was a dude selling some Apple II and old PC stuff. While it was neat, I doubt I'd ever go after any of it. Of course now with things like DOSBox, you can play old DOS based games on newer PCs, which lead me to start playing old games like Warcraft II and Daggerfall again. Sadly it plays in a window and it is 1/4 of the size of my PC's screen, so it's more novelty than anything. Not at all like hooking up the old NES and playing some Mega Man II.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:56 pm »
... You DO know you can configure DOSBox so it has full screen display and other stuff, right? :P

I actually prefer to find old complete games. Much of the time they have some items that later reprints left out... like A PRINTED MANUAL.

scott

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 04:52:35 pm »
... You DO know you can configure DOSBox so it has full screen display and other stuff, right? :P

No? I'm actually pretty new to the whole dosbox thing. haha

tpugmire

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 05:18:47 pm »
I've never even heard of this dosbox business before.  Does this mean I can play The Dig again?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »
I've never even heard of this dosbox business before.  Does this mean I can play The Dig again?

Yup, it's basically a DOS emulator. Lets you run your old DOS based games on newer hardware.

foxhack

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 05:47:01 pm »
Wow, you console players are so silly. :) :p

tpugmire: You can purchase a version of The Dig that runs natively on Windows from several digital distribution outfits, including Steam and Direct2Drive. LucasArts basically released a four pack with The Dig, Loom, and Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis / The Last Crusade.

Or you can just use your the data on your old install CDs and floppies with ScummVM. This supports a TON of LucasArts and Sierra games, as well as a few other freeware ones.

scott: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

That link explains how to configure your DOSBox install to have fullscreen, and it lets you modify other settings. The game may look squished depending on your aspect ratio, if you need help with that lemme know. Edit: Of course, you can try the old fullscreen standby, Alt+Enter. :p

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 05:52:25 pm »

Or you can just use your the data on your old install CDs and floppies with ScummVM. This supports a TON of LucasArts and Sierra games, as well as a few other freeware ones.

Ah yeah, I did this with my old PC copy of Broken Sword.  Pretty straightforward, IIRC.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 06:09:08 pm »
That link explains how to configure your DOSBox install to have fullscreen, and it lets you modify other settings. The game may look squished depending on your aspect ratio, if you need help with that lemme know. Edit: Of course, you can try the old fullscreen standby, Alt+Enter. :p

Ahh cool. I'll try that.... So hard to get into the game playing Daggerfall in a Window. haha

tpugmire

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:04 pm »
I looked into steam a while back, but I wasn't too impressed with the amount of games available.   Seems to have gotten a lot better though.  If they had Full Throttle, I'd be sold.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

foxhack

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 09:49:40 pm »
A while back? When was that, 2005?! I mean, just look at all the stuff I've bought! And forget about seeing Full Throttle, people have been begging for that one for years and they just don't want to rerelease it. Besides, you can get the game complete for like five bucks off eBay.

If you don't want to get Steam you can buy the games from Direct2Drive, I think they're DRM free there.

tpugmire

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 10:06:09 pm »
It was years ago, not sure when.  I still have my copy of Full Throttle, I think I still have my old windows 95 computer at my parents house.  Maybe I'll go find it and just play on that.  :)