Author Topic: Adding arcade games - thoughts?  (Read 1630 times)

Adding arcade games - thoughts?
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:14:11 pm »
I was wondering what the community thought about adding arcade games to the list? Or is vgcollect more interested in only listing console games? It's just that since I've started collecting arcade games, I certainly consider them part of my video game collection as a whole. I have pinballs too but I don't know if they would really qualify since we are talking "video" games.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

matt

Re: Adding arcade games - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »
Arcade games are totally acceptable. If you check out the browse page I've already added a lot of the main categories:

http://vgcollect.com/browse

If you need anything else added just let me know and I'll get it added asap. I haven't put any thought into pinball...they are definitely related to video games. Should there be just one master pinball category?

scott

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »
I would say, there should be a different Pinball category, separate from Arcade games.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »
Yeah, they are related to video games, but I'd definitely say keep it separate from arcade games, even thought they are 'technically' arcade games. It's really up to you though whether you wanna add pinball, I think it's sort of on the fine line. When I tell people about my game collecting hobby, I certainly mention them, but that's just a part of the conversation, I wasn't sure how we wanted to do it when we are truly cataloging our collections.

If you decide to add it, I could moderate that category for you, to take some weight off of you, and I'm deeply immersed in the hobby so I've got a bit of knowledge there. I'd also be willing to help with the arcade games if you needed it.

@Matt - By the way, thanks so much for creating this site and community, I was actually in the process of handwriting my collection when I stumbled upon the site, and it's so much nicer and more convenient than a handwritten list. And thanks for using Android!!! Woohoo!

(EDIT)

Just took a look at the Arcade section. What you've got listed there is mainly op systems that have pluggable carts and/or discs, when I was referring more to ALL arcade games, including the ones you already have listed there, example would be a dedicated Donkey Kong cabinet, which obviously only plays Donkey Kong. Then the options would be like: Full Cabinet, PCB board only, etc. which would be the rough equivalent of Disc, manual, other inserts when you do the "Add with Details".

Let me know what you come up with. Thanks again!

-Brett
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

scott

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:21:31 pm »

Just took a look at the Arcade section. What you've got listed there is mainly op systems that have pluggable carts and/or discs, when I was referring more to ALL arcade games, including the ones you already have listed there, example would be a dedicated Donkey Kong cabinet, which obviously only plays Donkey Kong.

Ya currently we just have what other people own in the database. But I'd like to see full dedicated cabs listed, each came with manuals and the like. Plus they are the grand-daddy of gaming, I know a few people who own arcade cabs, myself included. If they are part of your collection, they should all be accounted for. Of course, Mame and the like don't count.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:41 am »
Added "Dedicated Arcade" and "Pinball" categories.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:08:03 pm »
Added "Dedicated Arcade" and "Pinball" categories.

THANKS!!!