Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 10299 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 02:00:13 pm »
If you could get proper temporary tattoos that looked fantastic and then completely faded away after a few months I'd have loads, but there's nothing I'd really want to wear on my skin *forever*, so I just have to admire everyone else's instead :)

Oh.

I get it...

...You must be one of *those* people -

the kind that thinks *BEFORE* you act; huh?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »
Not often enough! :D

desocietas

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 04:23:17 pm »
-Draw and write (even though I ain't that good)

Hey, no one gets good unless they're doin' it.  Ain't called a "practice" for nothin' ;)  I don't draw enough these days, but I enrolled in a new art class for the Spring so hopefully it'll get me going again.

I do that too. But I also end up reading plot synopsis of games I either started playing and never had time to finish, or have never had and they are either super spendy  or hard to find.

I do that for movies that I'm too scared to see or don't want to waste my time watching (it's so hard setting aside 2 hours).  I'm totally fine with reading the synopses for splatter films but can't stand to watch them.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »
I actually have 2 tattoos as well. Its kind of depressing. The one that I traded a $10 pizza for has lasted almost 10 years and looks like the day it was done (In someone's kitchen). The one I paid $120 for is about 3 years old and most of the ink has worked its way out and pisses me off cause the guy that did it was out of town for weeks after he finished and now its "too late" to have him repair his ink without charging me again.

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 10:21:20 am »
Oh my, so much fun stuff to respond to:

Motorcycles
I love riding!  I've been riding pretty consistently since 2001, and although my schedule never allows it, I'd like to teach the MSF beginning rider course over the summer.

I just sold a Magna that I had been holding on to for a while, and now just have a Triumph Sprint ST which is the best thing I've ever ridden.  So far.

I'd second the vote for a can-am spyder, or harley trike for 1H riding.  I've known a few guys who rode 1h, and they all rode trikes and loved it.  There was one of them who had a highly modified ninja 250, that had throttle and front brake in the normal place (right hand), but the front and rear brakes were linked, so they activated from the same lever, and then had a little half lever in the same place that controlled the clutch so he could pull in one or both at the same time.  It took some practice finding the friction point all with one hand, but he had it down.  BUT, he said he much preferred the trike, since it wasn't nearly as much work to keep the thing upright and monkey with controls.  Relaxing, was the term he used, as I recall.

Tattoos
I feel the same way kimimi!  When I was 18, I thought it would be the coolest thing in the world to get a barcode tattooed on my neck.  (This was pre-agent 47, btw).  My friends/family very vocally let me know that this was a dumb idea, and looking back, I'm really glad I didn't do it.  Although, it wasn't the sparring from others that stopped me.  I thought that I could get it so when I got scanned at a store it would say like "SUPER AWESOME DUDE, $1000000" on the register, but it turns out that's not how UPC codes work.  Thank goodness QR codes hadn't been invented yet(oops, thanks wikipedia, they were invented, I just hadn't heard of them).

I'm curious about henna, though.  That lasts 1-3 weeks, but it only comes in one color: reddish brown.  Might be a cool way to test drive a tattoo.

I saw an article many moons ago about researchers looking to implant E-ink displays subdermally.  I was ALL over that.  A tattoo that I can change whenever I want?  YES PLEASE.  Also the capability to display information.  First in line.  On the left forearm, please.

Arcade
I've built a four player arcade controller, but I haven't had the motivation to actually build the cabinet for it.  So now it is just a monitor and the controller sitting on a rolling cart.  You can play it, but she aint pretty.

I also find it counter-intuitive that pinball machines aren't cheaper.  I mean, they weren't EVERYWHERE, but I feel like for their size, and relative niche market, they shouldn't still be THOUSANDS of dollars.  I want it to be like CRT TV's, where people almost pay you to take them.  "UGH, CAN ANYONE GET RID OF THIS PINBALL MACHINE, IT'S JUST TAKING UP SPACE"  Where are those Craigslist ads?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:27:06 am by mkarasch »

pacpix

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »
Wow you guys all have exciting hobbies!  Other than video games my hobbies are sleeping and playing solitaire. :P
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

jcalder8

« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2012, 07:36:19 pm »
I really don't have time or money for anything besides my games.

ko1ru

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:06 am »
Hey Soera, I'm into piercing too.  :)

At least, I used to be...  I was going to start piercing part-time while doing my photography full-time, but then I had to move to the middle of nowhere...  Now I'm a manager with a corporation that puts a strong emphasis on a "wholesome" image - so no more piercings for me.  I no longer have any of my facial piercings, and had to take out the more "extreme" ones in my ears too.  :(

Aside from video games, I'm also a huge film geek (horror, silent, Criterion, artsy-fartsy).

sin2beta

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47:43 am »
Wow! There are a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts on here. I am another one. Put me in the Kawasaki camp. I've actually gone without a cage (car) for about one and a half years.

I collect comics.

I don't collect but enjoy movies/TV shows? and music. I used to have a decent collection of each of those. But have become a full digital convert.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:08 pm »
cooking
photography (not as much any more i need to get a new camera)
architecture

brunauss

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:33 pm »
Keeping myself in shape by walking and playing with my dogs.
If its mechanical or digital and I have the tools and resources, I usually tinker with it.
Big cinema admirer and see the movies a lot.
Milk the internet relentlessly for info on strange things.
Involved with my brother on reconstructing nearly 3000 years worth of family history.
Play board and card games with friends.
Casual follower of WWII, Egyptian, Roman & Greek history.
Project Cerberus ] My own console design and concept.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

insektmute

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 08:13:10 pm »
I'm pretty much a giant dork across the board...

- Absolutely rabid film geek, particularly when it comes to foreign films and anime. I keep a profile on Film AF under the same username as I go by here, if anyone's really curious, but the collection is sadly half what it used to be, as my ex and I were together for 7 years and had joined all our stuff together, so everything was basically chopped 50/50 when things ended. Getting it back into shape, little by little, but it's a slow process.

- Drawing, painting, and graphic design, and I was a design major in college (who didn't finish). I haven't gotten to do nearly as much as I'd like the past couple years, mostly due to life not providing me with enough space, and school really taught me to appreciate working on larger pieces.

- Collecting music, mainly various genres of experimental, industrial, noise, and dark electronic stuff. I'm pretty rabid for vinyl, and that's almost exclusively what I buy these days, as I find it makes me more discriminating about what I pick up. Like the movies, this collection was also split in half post-breakup. I don't mention it much to people anymore, but I'm also a former goth/industrial club DJ, and did that weekly from around 1997-2003 - if you know where to look, there are pics of me wearing vinyl pants floating around online :p

- Building up what little hi-fi I can afford. I'm not the type who buys into snake oil about cables and other silly tweaks, but I've put together a pretty decent system on a budget, the highlight of which is a pair of Focal Chorus 706-V speakers; they're arguably the single most expensive thing in my apartment, which is kind of nuts to think about. Started building my own cables a few months back too, which has been surprisingly easy, and a lot of fun. I'm hoping I can maybe do a dedicated stereo setup at some point, ideally something focused around a vintage Marantz amp and Rega turntable, buuut... not in the cards right now.

- Building computers. I've been doing the DIY thing since I was 12, and apart from my laptop, have never owned a pre-built system. I also have a big interest in retrocomputing, particularly old SGI hardware, but lack the space to do much more than read about it. Mainly running Windows 7 these days, but I have a lot of affection for Gentoo and Arch Linux, too.

- Synthesizers. As with most things, my interest outweighs my budget and living space, but I currently own an Alesis Ion, along with a healthy dose of software. This is probably a collection that will grow in the next year or two, though. I make music mainly for my own enjoyment, so it's strictly amateur hour.

- Reading comics and manga, though this has slowed waaaay down over the years as my tastes have veered further away from superhero stuff and into more twisted, serious territory. I'm mostly into a lot of Vertigo stuff, but I dig my fair share of seinen like Blade of the Immortal and Gantz, and I'm an absolutely rabid fan of under-appreciated gems like Queen & Country and Poison Elves.

That's more or less what occupies 98% of my free time, anyway :)

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 10:27:56 pm »
I don't have a big collection of movies but I do enjoy them.

I'm also a big pro wrestling fan and collect pro wrestling dvds.

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 10:38:14 pm »

What kind of stuff? Current? Old-school?

I'm a big pro-wrestling fan, too. I still keep up with it, but I'm a bigger fan of the 80s through the early 2000s. All that stuff was fantastic and I've been building up a lot of my DVD collection with that kind of stuff. Mostly WWF and WCW with a little bit of TNA, never was a big fan of ECW.

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »

What kind of stuff? Current? Old-school?

I'm a big pro-wrestling fan, too. I still keep up with it, but I'm a bigger fan of the 80s through the early 2000s. All that stuff was fantastic and I've been building up a lot of my DVD collection with that kind of stuff. Mostly WWF and WCW with a little bit of TNA, never was a big fan of ECW.

I watch a lot of older stuff from the 80's through the early 2000's on youtube since that is what I grew up on.

I don't watch WWE right now because the product is boring to me so most of my dvd collection is indy stuff from Ring of Honor, Pro Wrestling Guerilla, Chikara, and TNA.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:22:59 pm by contracode »

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess