Author Topic: Overpraised Movies  (Read 7007 times)

htimreimer

Overpraised Movies
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:25:38 am »
what movie's do you think are overpraised?

there is many movies that i can say are overpraised like the blair witch project (it's boring),back to the future (decent family film) and dark knight rises (it has good action scenes) but the one that piss me off the most was napoleon dynamite, the biggest problem with this move is also the reason why people like it, its a pilot episode for MTV stretch out to movie length, its directed like tv show and comedy could of been cut out of the movie and nothing would of change, the characters are either douchebags or just plain annoying and the music is crap as well

soera

Re: Overpraised Movies
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:36:51 am »
I will agree with Napoleon Dynamite. Not too long after it came out here, all the radio stations used to try to talk like that moron.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is another.

Any movie with Will Ferrell fits this as he just sucks balls.

The Twilight series is an abomination on vampire/werewolf movies.

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:50:17 pm »

I would say that Stranger Than Fiction wouldn't count in this. Its seriously underappreciated.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:14 pm »

I would say that Stranger Than Fiction wouldn't count in this. Its seriously underappreciated.
This, I CAN'T STAND WILL FERRELL but holy crap he is good in this movie.

soera

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »
I havent seen that so I will take your word on it. :)

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »
I'm going to expose my snobbery a bit here, but I consider American films in general to be pretty overrated and sub-par. Virtually no grasp of subtlety, unnatural dialog that comes off more as a series of proclamations and sound bites ("You can't handle the truth!"), formulaic plotting, a constant need to spell out every single little detail, non-existent emotional depth... the last 10 years or so have been particularly bad, especially now that everyone's fixated on trying to remake and whitewash foreign films.

We've had our share of exceptional films over the years, and there's still the rare standout, but for the most part, it's been a pretty steady deluge of disingenuous crap.

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 06:08:25 pm »
Hey Napoleon Dynamite is awesome!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:04:15 pm »
especially now that everyone's fixated on trying to remake and whitewash foreign films.
there is a sad but true reason behind it, a lot of people especially my generation that will not see a foreign or old films unless they are dub or remade and hollywood takes advantage of it

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:06:18 pm »
especially now that everyone's fixated on trying to remake and whitewash foreign films.
there is a sad but true reason behind it, a lot of people especially my generation that will not see a foreign or old films unless they are dub or remade and hollywood takes advantage of it

I don't see why remaking a foreign movie is a bad thing. A lot of stuff is lost in translation, and a lot of the acting is underappreciated because we don't know the language. And those that aren't quite as fast as others at reading miss some of the onscreen stuff.

A remake addresses those issues.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:41 pm »
I really like Napolean Dynamite.

I'm going to expose my snobbery a bit here, but I consider American films in general to be pretty overrated and sub-par. Virtually no grasp of subtlety, unnatural dialog that comes off more as a series of proclamations and sound bites ("You can't handle the truth!"), formulaic plotting, a constant need to spell out every single little detail, non-existent emotional depth... the last 10 years or so have been particularly bad, especially now that everyone's fixated on trying to remake and whitewash foreign films.

We've had our share of exceptional films over the years, and there's still the rare standout, but for the most part, it's been a pretty steady deluge of disingenuous crap.

I honestly think these criticisms are true for most foreign films as well. I went through a pretty pretentious film snob period, but essentially found that everything is formulaic. Most foreign films don't seem formulaic because we have not seen them enough. I remember Japanese cinema being a breath of fresh air. But my god, Japanese cinema is the most formulaic ever. German films all have the same formula/rhythm as does Russian cinema, French cinema, English cinema, etc.

It is the rare film that breaks the mode. The country of origin seems to matter little. What matters is digging deep for great movies.

I used to think that soundbites were annoying. But honestly, most of these are quotable for a reason. "I could of been a contender" is remembered from On the Waterfront because the scene and the line are masterfully crafted. While not always true, I found this to be the case a lot more times than the cynic in me would have liked.

I do tend to agree on not remaking foreign films. I would like to see more focus on marketing the original here, but understand that the business side of it will be more profitable for both parties (foreign and domestic) if they localized the whole thing.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:36 pm »
I'm in the Napoleon Dynamite is overrated camp

darko

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:17 pm »

3 words for you: Lost in Translation

My favorite movie of all time.

Also made in America:

Donnie Darko
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Royal Tennenbaums (Or almost everything directed by Wes Anderson)
Blood Simple (Or almost everything directed by the Cohen brothers)
Etc...

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »
I honestly think these criticisms are true for most foreign films as well. I went through a pretty pretentious film snob period, but essentially found that everything is formulaic. Most foreign films don't seem formulaic because we have not seen them enough. I remember Japanese cinema being a breath of fresh air. But my god, Japanese cinema is the most formulaic ever. German films all have the same formula/rhythm as does Russian cinema, French cinema, English cinema, etc.

It is the rare film that breaks the mode. The country of origin seems to matter little. What matters is digging deep for great movies.

I tend to view originality as a myth, as it's about as empty a term as the circle jerk over innovation in gaming, and focus instead on execution and style. Natural or captivating dialog, interesting cinematography, inventive ways of telling a story, not pushing and pawing at your emotions like a dumb puppy... it all makes a big difference. It's just been my observation that American filmmakers rarely attempt or achieve anything particularly interesting.

On the rare occasion that they do, we get stuff like Taxi Driver, so it's not all bad :)

ffxik

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:06:57 pm »
I like a lot of 80's-mid 90's action movies.  They didn't need to make sense, just entertain.

As far as it goes I hate Napoleon Dynamite

I have two films I particularly do not care for.  One being Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  The other being The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  All my friends think I'm weird for not liking them.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:38 pm »
I like a lot of 80's-mid 90's action movies.  They didn't need to make sense, just entertain.

I still think Aliens, Predator, and Conan the Barbarian are totally amazing. I don't think many share my love of Bloodsport, though :(