Author Topic: Franchises that need a reboot  (Read 4331 times)

jcalder8

Franchises that need a reboot
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:45:26 pm »
They have started to do this for some games like Devil May Cry but here are some others that I wish they would reboot:

Resident Evil - stop trying to explain what is going on and just get back to zombies and scares!
Silent Hill! - Do I really need to give an explanation!
Final Fantasy - I don't care what it looks like just give me an engaging story, lots of characters and an open world. Is that really too much to ask from an RPG?

What are some others?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:00:46 am by jcalder8 »

darko

Re: Franchies that need a reboot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:04 pm »
StarFox
Zelda (Yes, I've been bored since Windwaker)
Chrono Trigger
The Gaia Series

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »
Q*Bert- With his recent role in Wreck it Ralph now is the time to bring him back.  I want new games, toys, and reboot the TV show!  It's about @!#?@! time for Q*Bert to return!

Edit: I want a breakfast cereal too!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:49:25 pm by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:52 pm »
Although, it probably won't be good. Sonic REALLY needs a reboot... Actually SEGA needs a reboot. Let's give SEGA a reboot.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:24:45 pm »
Although, it probably won't be good. Sonic REALLY needs a reboot... Actually SEGA needs a reboot. Let's give SEGA a reboot.
Very true!

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:37:02 pm »
The Mana series
The SaGa series
Shining Force
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:37:39 pm »
And Onimusha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:48:57 pm »

Sonic already got a reboot and it was fantastic! :D

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:14:57 am »

Sonic already got a reboot and it was fantastic! :D

That reboot is the reason why they need a reboot. Although the sonic 2006 reboot seems to be questionably retconned and rebooted itself. So, maybe we need a reboot for the reboot which was a reboot of the original reboot which separated the series into two timelines and ... I give up. 
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:21:57 am »
 :o

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 12:33:11 am »
Capcom Vs SNK, I would love to see a new game especially since Capcom VS SNK 2 is one of my favorite fighting games ever, but I do feel they could totally do something more with it as long as Capcom doesn't try to make SNK characters 3d puppet looking like they did with Street Fighter 4

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 08:03:05 am »
Well I'd like them to un-reboot DMC for one... that was just terrible... oh and un-reboot Castlevania, this Lords of Shadow thing really isn't doing it.

I can't really think of anything I'd really want to see rebooted specifically. There are series I want to see new games for and I guess a reboot could work. Like StarTropics. But in general I think just sequels and spin-offs can do the job just as well.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Franchises that need a reboot
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:47 am »
Metroid

Yeah I said it.  We need to ditch this first person noise and go back to 2D goodness.  Or, this may just me being old.

Next, we need to get a sequel to a great, over-looked Xbox game; Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy.  The ending left it open for another one, but it just never happened.  If you haven't tried it, check it out. 

Then we need to get on these left for dead properties:

Blaster Master
Metal Storm
Battletoads
Super Dodgeball

matt

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 11:28:37 am »

Man I would love Sega to reboot some of their classic franchises. I'd kill for a new Wonder Boy or Alex Kid game. Alex Kid would have made for an amazing plat former. The problem being that I just don't trust them to do it nowadays. :(

insektmute

Re: Franchises that need a reboot
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:26 pm »
Echoing jcalder8 a bit, but...

Castlevania - Sign me up for a series of 2D side-scrollers in 1080p60 kthx. Every 3D Castlevania I've played feels absolutely soulless.
Final Fantasy - I crave more mature storylines, believeable characters, and pithy dialog. Work off VI, VII, IX, and XII for inspiration, ditch Nomura, and keep the development team small, focused, and collaborative.
King of Fighters - Falcoon's artistic legacy lingers way too strongly for my tastes. Ditch all this Ash Crimson crap.
Metal Slug - I'd love to see something more along the lines of Contra: Shattered Soldier or Moon Diver.
Metroid - Controversial choice maybe, but I crave the classic mechanics and atmosphere on a console.
Resident Evil - It's really not that hard to evoke the classic feel while still creating something fresh and interesting, provided the developers understand what made it work to begin with. I liked RE6, but outside of Leon's campaign, it might as well have been a different series.

I've tried to avoid going into series I want to see simply revived, but insert obligatory mention of Shadow Hearts and Legend of Dragoon here.