Author Topic: Franchises that need a reboot  (Read 4330 times)

Re: Franchises that need a reboot
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:16 pm »
I would have to say Road Rash. Rag doll physics, online racing? Sign me up!

jcalder8

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »
I would love that!

sin2beta

Re: Franchies that need a reboot
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 05:01:23 pm »
Although, it probably won't be good. Sonic REALLY needs a reboot... Actually SEGA needs a reboot. Let's give SEGA a reboot.

Man I would love Sega to reboot some of their classic franchises. I'd kill for a new Wonder Boy or Alex Kid game. Alex Kid would have made for an amazing plat former. The problem being that I just don't trust them to do it nowadays. :(

I think that last part is the key. I would love to see the return of some franchises. But, ultimately, they are good where they are.

I also, to be honest, like how sega seemed to abandon franchises when switching systems (There's always a tiny bit that bleeds over though).

SMS - Alex Kidd, Wonder Boy
Genesis - Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, ToeJam and Earl (I would argue that Sonic lived primarily in the Genesis days. No real Sonic for Saturn, etc.)
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon, Clockwork Knight, Virtua Fighter/Cop
Dreamcast - Shenmue, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi

This causes each system to have its own feel. Part of me likes that Streets of Rage never left Genesis. And part of me hopes it stays like this. It makes collecting for SEGA consoles a treat as each console is not merely the same games updated. Your favorite sega console almost always falls in line with your favorite franchises.

So, ultimately, I am anti-reboot but pro-franchise. Just create new franchises. If you need a reboot, then it is played out. Move on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:30:43 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:38 pm »
King of Fighters - Falcoon's artistic legacy lingers way too strongly for my tastes. Ditch all this Ash Crimson crap.
I heard that the ending to XIII... well... did stuff.

Resident Evil doesn't really need a reboot, what it needs is a game that shows how Umbrella GOT TAKEN DOWN.

insektmute

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:14 pm »
Yeah, the ending of XIII is... I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems like Ash was basically retconned into having never existed, but with SNK, who knows?

insektmute

Re: Franchies that need a reboot
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 06:10:26 pm »
This causes each system to have its own feel. Part of me likes that Streets of Rage never left Genesis (until the failed sequel). And part of me hopes it stays like this. It makes collecting for SEGA consoles a treat as each console is not merely the same games updated. Your favorite sega console almost always falls in line with your favorite franchises.

This could easily be its own thread, but I think having a unique sense of identity is what really makes a console worthwhile. There's nothing more uninspiring than a system that's defined almost entirely by multi-platform games.

Sega's a much different company these days, and not for the better, but in their prime, their games really set them apart from the rest of the pack.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »
this seems more like a "Frachises that need a revival/reboot"
as for Sonic they just need to do what they've done in Generations just without the 3-d to the 2-d mid-stage and just refine that for me.
they need to revive Guilty Gear not this "Blazblue is the new Guilty Gear"  hell I'll even settle for BlazbluXGuilty Gear
and I guess un-Reboot Soul Calibur back to SC3

soera

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 06:28:36 pm »
I think a lot of the NES/SNES basics need a reset. Metroid and Zelda need to go back to their original setting. I would love to see another Blaster master and Bionic commando. Final fantasy could use a nice trip down memory IV-VII lane. Punch out has the potential to be a really great game. Faria could use another installment.

foxhack

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:06 pm »
Punch out has the potential to be a really great game.
... it had a Wii revival, though.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »
Punch out has the potential to be a really great game.
... it had a Wii revival, though.
Punch-Out!! On the Wii was awesome. Not a real deep game, but it was fun. 

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 11:10:41 pm »
Hm.  I've got some single games...can those be called franchises?

Blast corps could be awesome with current gen systems...

F-Zero and/or wipeout (although, there was a downloadable recent version of this, right?)

Parasite eve

Baseball Simulator 1000

Syphon filter, although that one might be rose colored glasses...I haven't played it in ages

Zombies ate my neighbors

Actraiser

htimreimer

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:01 pm »
Zombies ate my neighbors
this could happen sooner than later, now a movie in development

here is my top 5 games to reboot
(5) mdk
(4) descent
(3) ultima
(2) system shock
(1) resident evil

scott

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 11:28:34 am »
Castlevania - Sign me up for a series of 2D side-scrollers in 1080p60 kthx. Every 3D Castlevania I've played feels absolutely soulless.

Castlevania doesn't need a reboot. It needs a return to form, only better. It needs a new era Symphony of the Night. I will agree that the 3D games are pretty meh for most all of them. But I will also say that while I disliked Lords of Shadow for the most part, I am interested to see what they do with the 3DS game and the sequel. But I'm glad MercuryStream has said that after Lords of Shadow 2, they are done with Castlevania.

I'm actually kind of hoping that Mirror of Fate is a good mix of old and new. And maybe it'll open the door to original timeline stuff without having to be completely 2D sprite based.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 11:35:21 am »

yes. and skitchin

jobocan

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 12:26:26 pm »
I'm actually kind of hoping that Mirror of Fate is a good mix of old and new. And maybe it'll open the door to original timeline stuff without having to be completely 2D sprite based.

I played the demo for Mirror of Fate and it was very disappointing. A bit too linear (though that might just be the demo), a bit too easy, not able to use the d-pad even though it's a side-scrolling game (what?), too many moves when all you ever need to use is the basic combo and the back dodge roll, the "platforming" is lame... It's all very bland I felt.

But apparently the demo is a very old build (for example, the finisher animation against the boss you fight at the end of the demo is not done at all, Trevor just kinda touches the enemy's head and it dies), so maybe it's less meh than the demo seems. I'm still deciding whether or not to cancel my pre-order (especially since I have other games coming out at the same time and I have other games I'm still not done with).